Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Keiron Dyer on Norwich City

He was a seriously good player and he seems to talk a lot of sense. Ipswich need to formulate some kind of long term strategy - we are years ahead of them even if we get relegated. They don't even own their ground and are £100m in debt to their owner. We have assets worth many millions and at last we seem to have a management team in place who at least have a clue what to do with it.

That surely has to be the first decision for them - is Lambert really the man to build that strategy around with the 5 year deal? I remember Pardew getting a 7 year contract at Newcastle; that went well.

17 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

The self appointed realists on here tend to disagree...

So what are the self righteous saying Nige?

11 minutes ago, Chumino said:

So what are the self righteous saying Nige?

Probably similar stuff to the chuminos?

41 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I've missed this new classification. Who are on the Realist🤓 and Anti-Realist😇 (???) sides?

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

I've missed this new classification. Who are on the Realist🤓 and Anti-Realist😇 (???) sides?

It's difficult to say because some seem to be realism fluid...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, sgncfc said:

He was a seriously good player and he seems to talk a lot of sense. Ipswich need to formulate some kind of long term strategy - we are years ahead of them even if we get relegated. They don't even own their ground and are £100m in debt to their owner. We have assets worth many millions and at last we seem to have a management team in place who at least have a clue what to do with it.

That surely has to be the first decision for them - is Lambert really the man to build that strategy around with the 5 year deal? I remember Pardew getting a 7 year contract at Newcastle; that went well.

He was. A natural. First time I saw him play, at Carrow Road, it bugged me because I couldn't think which other footballer he reminded me of. Eventually it came to me. it was Jeremy Guscott, the rugby player. The same kind of graceful fluid movement.

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

Exactly.

Incredible that Keiron Dyer can see it (and as mentioned, must have really hurt him to say that), but some of our own 'fans' almost refuse to.

Long may it continue for me 😁

We need a structure in place where we protect our assets, our academy kids. Look at Andre Dozzell, for example. He was £4/5m player last summer when Norwich were going to bid. How much would we get for Andre Dozzell now?

The way we should be going, we should go to Marcus and say 'Flynn, Woolfy, Dozza, we sell them, you get £15m for the three of them, you have £12m and give us £3m back (to spend)'.

Seems wishful thinking though, in the latest interview Webber was talking about the McCallum figures and said he didn't pay £3m guaranteed on a 19 year old and he'd need to play for England to hit that kind of money.

Many years ago Newcastle played away to Coventry. On the way home on the coach Dyer asked Bobby Robson to turn the coach round as he had left his earring in the changing room. 

Robson just raised his eyebrows a little and said nothing. 

It cost £18k said Dyer. 

Robson turned round and looked out of the window. 

Ipswich fans want Dyer as their next manager 

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Ha!

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

He was. A natural. First time I saw him play, at Carrow Road, it bugged me because I couldn't think which other footballer he reminded me of. Eventually it came to me. it was Jeremy Guscott, the rugby player. The same kind of graceful fluid movement.

Guscott has a brain 

16 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Guscott has a brain 

Guscott & Gower. Two of the most graceful sportsmen I've ever seen. A delight to watch.

18 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

He is stating the obvious. We must be run OK because we are successful without a pot to pish in

We are a very well run club right now, beyond doubt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, king canary said:

We are a very well run club right now, beyond doubt.

Which is why our last couple of years business , though not perfect and may result in relegation, has put us in a stable position that must be the envy of many Clubs as we enter a period of uncertainty.

Many years ago Newcastle played away to Coventry. On the way home on the coach Dyer asked Bobby Robson to turn the coach round as he had left his earring in the changing room. 

It cost £18k said Dyer. 

He used to charter a helicopter to fly from Newcastle to Ipswich to get his haircut from his favourite barber.
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

It cost £18k said Dyer. 

He used to charter a helicopter to fly from Newcastle to Ipswich to get his haircut from his favourite barber.

And now he’s saying we’re well run? Hmmm... I’m not sure that’s a recommendation I want.

On 11/03/2020 at 16:25, Icecream Snow said:

Seems wishful thinking though, in the latest interview Webber was talking about the McCallum figures and said he didn't pay £3m guaranteed on a 19 year old and he'd need to play for England to hit that kind of money.

Which backs the view that too many simply swallow the highest figure quoted in a transfer fee - then use it to whine about the player or club. It will be in the selling club's interest and definitely the player's agent's interest to inflate the figure. A figure that will be a minimum of all costs, plus future add ons...and then rounded up a bit more. Fees, wages, add ons etc are confidential as will be the clause keeping it that way to those who do know.

As to the paupers sorry plight they have been subject to a combination of promotion at all cost, and very little hands on managerment and planning by any football 'type'. If you skew everything toward that former aim then don't be surprised if the academy fails to deliver and the ground begins to fall apart.

City have invested heavily in scouting and coaching....Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey and Idah - and have done likewise abroad...Buendia, Onel, Zimbo etc. Players who cost relative peanuts when measured against their current ability and worth. From my understanding the paupers offer their scouts a tracksuit and 2 ST's.

Much the same level on long term planning is with coaching youngsters. I doubt if City will find many gems among the kids in suffolk who attend City training camps etc. But I am certain a fair number will grow up with an affinity to City that they would not otherwise haver had.

For much of the decade I have been told that our club's success is cyclical and it will be reversed again at some point. Whereas all I have seen is the gap growing wider. We are no more roughly equal in terms of league standing, attendances and certainly not financers.

One measure is that the two clubs are the furthest apart in league standings than the probably have ever been in their professional  existence. In fact a couple of results could see the paupers closer to non league than they are to us.

That's how bad it is .... for them.