Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

and so it begins - Man C v Arsenal off

The season will shortly end and the next discussion will be can the next season start.

I'm baffled that nothing has been done already but just heard a lady on the radio say she arrived from Milan last night to find no checks or advice at the airport. Hmmm........ 

If calling off football is part of a coordinated and consistent approach that is deemed necessary to try and halt the spread of the virus then fair enough. At the moment there is the suspicion that as usual football is being treated differently to everything else. I haven't been following it closely so people can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think cinemas, shops, public transport, theatres etc, etc been closed in this country so far. 

4 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I haven't been following it closely so people can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think cinemas, shops, public transport, theatres etc, etc been closed in this country so far. 

Does anybody think they won't be?

4 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Does anybody think they won't be?

As it stands at the moment  I haven't heard of any plans to close cinemas, theatres etc, but I have  heard that a major football match is being called off. 

At the moment this is a one-off due to contact with someone with the virus.

Until the number of contacts becomes overwhelming I'd expect the authorities to continue with a piecemeal approach.

51 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

If calling off football is part of a coordinated and consistent approach that is deemed necessary to try and halt the spread of the virus then fair enough. At the moment there is the suspicion that as usual football is being treated differently to everything else. I haven't been following it closely so people can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think cinemas, shops, public transport, theatres etc, etc been closed in this country so far. 

You can't get 70,000 people in a cinema. By the way, the people of Norwich are voting with their feet as regards entertainment venues. 

• Like 1

Beggars belief that man city v arsenal is postponed because olympiakos greek owner may have come into contact with Arsenal players a fortnight ago....but Wolves are being sent out there to play tonight?!?!

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

As I said yesterday, Serie A has been suspended, whilst the Bundesliga, La Liga and Ligue Un are all behind closed doors. Admittedly, the UK doesn't have as many cases, but they're continuing to rise and will probably reach those sort of figures soon and everything seems to be running about two or three weeks behind everything that happened in Italy.

Given the steadfast refusal in this country to play in an empty stadium, I think this round of Premier League matches may be the last to go ahead as planned with full stadiums. 

We could be staying up after all...

9 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

As I said yesterday, Serie A has been suspended, whilst the Bundesliga, La Liga and Ligue Un are all behind closed doors. Admittedly, the UK doesn't have as many cases, but they're continuing to rise and will probably reach those sort of figures soon and everything seems to be running about two or three weeks behind everything that happened in Italy.

Given the steadfast refusal in this country to play in an empty stadium, I think this round of Premier League matches may be the last to go ahead as planned with full stadiums. 

We could be staying up after all...

Another chance to get ahead of the curve is being squandered.

Just now, ricardo said:

If the British government is genuinely concerned about the spread of the virus, they would've observed what's happened in Europe and they would already be taking the same measures as Europe is now despite having far fewer cases, because Britain is doing exactly the same things at the same times as the other nations did whilst the infection rate is slowly climbing up. In order to prevent several thousand cases, the British government needs to implement now the same measures as what Europe has at present, such as the cancellation of large gatherings and the closure of many other facilities.

The only explanations are that the government aren't concerned by the virus and don't believe it will be a major problem if it spreads, or they're just being terribly lax.

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

You can't get 70,000 people in a cinema. By the way, the people of Norwich are voting with their feet as regards entertainment venues. 

Norfolk doesn't have one case yet! 

I have been told that , in Madrid, there are nearly 800 confirmed cases of Coronavirus, no schools or colleges open, yet 3,000 Athletico fans are turning up in Liverpool tomorrow? 

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

If the British government is genuinely concerned about the spread of the virus, they would've observed what's happened in Europe and they would already be taking the same measures as Europe is now despite having far fewer cases, because Britain is doing exactly the same things at the same times as the other nations did whilst the infection rate is slowly climbing up. In order to prevent several thousand cases, the British government needs to implement now the same measures as what Europe has at present, such as the cancellation of large gatherings and the closure of many other facilities.

The only explanations are that the government aren't concerned by the virus and don't believe it will be a major problem if it spreads, or they're just being terribly lax.

Perhaps they realise it is impossible to contain it?

5 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Perhaps they realise it is impossible to contain it?

It may be the case, but it seems peculiar that the UK is the only nation in Europe that has basically said: "Well boys, it's here now, let's just live with it." 

I'm still not panicking too much over coronavirus personally, but I certainly understand why governments are trying to contain it.

The UK is still behind the curve in terms of infections. Probably still 12 weeks away from a peak here. Can't say I agree with the Government's rather lax approach.

As mentioned it will be interesting to see what next season brings. Could all start behind closed doors.

Saw the Sky News report from an ICU in Italy. Really not a pleasant death and we shouldn't be treating this lightly.

First professional footballer in Germany tests positive.

Closing doors is not going to save the season.

50 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

The UK is still behind the curve in terms of infections. Probably still 12 weeks away from a peak here. Can't say I agree with the Government's rather lax approach.

As mentioned it will be interesting to see what next season brings. Could all start behind closed doors.

Saw the Sky News report from an ICU in Italy. Really not a pleasant death and we shouldn't be treating this lightly.

I've been watching this story quite carefully. A big interest as ever for me are the numbers. Since the 29/2 (23 cases confirmed) the total UK numbers have doubled either every 2 or 3 days (up to last night I've looked at the 10 daily increases since 29/2). If this trajectory continues we will face somewhere around 100,000 live UK cases by 30/3. If we carry on in the 'laissez-faire' way we have managed so far, maybe these kinds of figures might induce this government to act?

This analysis may be wrong of course...after all, it is crudely based on current daily rates of increase. Yet, even in the 10 days to date (and today we have witnessed the biggest daily increase of 83 to 456 cases) we can see the numbers and their exponential pattern. The 30/3 is two and a half weeks away. 

No wonder Merkel is concerned about a 70% infection rate in Germany and medical scientists here are speaking of an Easter peak (and if rates rise as they have so far it is a massive concern). Surely, there are statisticians who are advising and modelling. We must move to a new and more aggressive action phase ('delay' I believe is the term) sooner rather than later.

Football pales into insignificance. I desperately hope I'm a fool and have got this all wrong.

5 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'm baffled that nothing has been done already but just heard a lady on the radio say she arrived from Milan last night to find no checks or advice at the airport. Hmmm........ 

That surprises me...

Italy has been on lock down since Monday. One of the companies I work with, who sponsor some of our major events, are now thinking they can't come over because none of them have been allowed to leave their houses! RyanAir shut down all flights out of Italy too, from what I gather.

Having said that I did see a Tweet from someone travelling from Italy stating no checks at the airport, but that was last week.

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

I've been watching this story quite carefully. A big interest as ever for me are the numbers. Since the 29/2 (23 cases confirmed) the total UK numbers have doubled either every 2 or 3 days (up to last night I've looked at the 10 daily increases since 29/2). If this trajectory continues we will face somewhere around 100,000 live UK cases by 30/3. If we carry on in the 'laissez-faire' way we have managed so far, maybe these kinds of figures might induce this government to act?

This analysis may be wrong of course...after all, it is crudely based on current daily rates of increase. Yet, even in the 10 days to date (and today we have witnessed the biggest daily increase of 83 to 456 cases) we can see the numbers and their exponential pattern. The 30/3 is two and a half weeks away. 

No wonder Merkel is concerned about a 70% infection rate in Germany and medical scientists here are speaking of an Easter peak (and if rates rise as they have so far it is a massive concern). Surely, there are statisticians who are advising and modelling. We must move to a new and more aggressive action phase ('delay' I believe is the term) sooner rather than later.

Football pales into insignificance. I desperately hope I'm a fool and have got this all wrong.

Why not learn from what we have seen in the worst hit countries. The sooner mitigation methods start the better. Every day with people congregating is a day with more contagion.

3 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Norfolk doesn't have one case yet! 

Give it another 3 days. The darlings of North London were all at Wells and Holkham at the weekend 

The only way to complete the football season is to cancel the Euros and let the season complete itself in Spring/Summer. Otherwise the courts will be full of clubs suing the FA, EPL, EFL, Sky and BT.

9 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

The only way to complete the football season is to cancel the Euros and let the season complete itself in Spring/Summer. Otherwise the courts will be full of clubs suing the FA, EPL, EFL, Sky and BT.

Nooooo. Cancel the EPL instead 🙄😉

3 hours ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

I have been told that , in Madrid, there are nearly 800 confirmed cases of Coronavirus, no schools or colleges open, yet 3,000 Athletico fans are turning up in Liverpool tomorrow? 

Well if those 3,000 Athletico fans do turn up in Liverpool tomorrow.....they'll unfortunately miss tonight's game...... 

14 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Nooooo. Cancel the EPL instead

I would luv it, really luv it🍾🕺🤣

League 1 to be based on last 20 games 😂

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ricardo said:

Will you be coming to the game on Saturday Ricardo or will you help to get ahead of the curve ?