Sign in to follow this  
Since 1980

4-4-2

The time has come for 4-4-2. Last time I suggested this some said the players were unfamiliar with the set up. Well, it's been deployed to an extent in our last two games. We need goals from somewhere  and they're not forthcoming with one up front so now it;s time to change. Perhaps give Teemu a rest and start with Doctor Mick and Idah?

I know Farke wants to stick with his system but it just isn't working. I would like to see him really surprise Soton and do away with the zonal marking and go for man marking. If he is feeling really adventurous then leave Buendia up on the halfway line for their corners.I know he likes to play a defensive midfielder so put Godfrey there alongside Buendia, Cantwell and Mclean. Bring back Zimmermann to partner Hanley with Aarons and Lewis making up the back four. Then at least for home games play Drmic with Pukki up front. 

Been suggesting something similar of late too.    Would go 4-4-1-1 though.... It’s not working so some tweaks makes sense without compromising our style of play.      I too would push Godfrey forward, take out Tettey for Zimmerman.   Have 4 across the middle Incl Godfrey, Buendia as 10 role playing higher up the pitch and Pukki with strict instructions not to come back past the halfway line as he wastes too much energy chasing back leaving him too deep when we have no longer option.     Form and more particularly, lack of consistency with too many players means the trusted starting 11 is restricted.   Would go....

Krul

Aarons, Zimmerman, Hanley, Lewis

Godfrey 

Rupp, McLean, Cantwell (Vrancic as main replacement for these)

Buendia

Pukki (Drmic) (Idah)

subs... Tettey, Idah, Vrancic, Drmic, McGovern, Klose soon, Duda??? .... Don’t think any others are at the level required. Even in that team sadly Rupp gives possession away far too easily although is difficult getting to the pace of this league.     

Some of the moves we made in January have kind of hamstrung us in being flexible with formations- the lack of defenders means a back 3 is very difficult to make work, even though I think it could be our best formation.

I think we played 3-5-2 after Cantwell came off on Saturday, with Godfrey central, Hanley on the right and Lewis on the left.  Aarons was pushed forward on the right into the midfield/wingback position.  I thought it worked pretty well given Sheff Utd were sitting back and holding on to 1-0.

Now we have enough fit centre backs, 352 wouldn’t be a bad shout, we like our full backs to attack, we will have Tettey and 3 cbs covering, give us some pace on the width and bring buendia in central.

Just not sure we can field a front 2 that will be able to get hold of the ball well enough to warrant it- also think whoever starts in the wide positions in that case is going to be a square peg as we only have one real winger and he's injured.

My personal preference at the moment would be to drop the #10 role as we know it and go for a more more 4-3-3 / 4-3-2-1 which would make us less prone to surrendering the middle of the pitch.

How long will this Godfrey as defensive midfielder thing run for? It doesn't matter it you personally think it will cure the coronavirus as well as be better for the team. Farke won't be doing it, and Godfrey doesn't think he should be doing it either.

Not happening. Ever while Farke is here. Leave it now. It's over. Done. Finished. Move on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

I think we played 3-5-2 after Cantwell came off on Saturday, with Godfrey central, Hanley on the right and Lewis on the left.  Aarons was pushed forward on the right into the midfield/wingback position.  I thought it worked pretty well given Sheff Utd were sitting back and holding on to 1-0.

I could be wrong but that feels like something Farke might be comfortable doing for short spells but not a full 90 minutes.

I think the back three with Zimmerman, Hanley and Godfrey could really help us- it would free up Godfrey to make his marauding runs from deep without leaving us totally exposed, it would give us more height for defending set pieces, would prevent teams targetting our smaller fullbacks with deep crosses and also free them up to attack more. 

• Like 1

I liked what I saw from Idah's brief Spurs appearance. He seemed someone quite adept at screening balls up to him (like an old fashioned number 9) and could see him working well with Teemu. That said, I suppose Drmic is higher in the pecking order.

I agree it’s time for a new formation as 4-2-3-1 just doesn’t seem to be working for us. When Lambert arrived he started playing a 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield and straight away we were a completely different side

Although I have belief in Farke and don’t want to see him go, I still feel he needs to find a variety of different formations/tactics he can use as he may need them in case of injuries or to break down the other team’s style of play

It's time to go crazy, play any frickin formation, play all the formations! We have proved time and time again that 4231 doesn't work. Change it up Mr Farke 

4 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

How long will this Godfrey as defensive midfielder thing run for? It doesn't matter it you personally think it will cure the coronavirus as well as be better for the team. Farke won't be doing it, and Godfrey doesn't think he should be doing it either.

Not happening. Ever while Farke is here. Leave it now. It's over. Done. Finished. Move on.

Farke might not, Godfrey will tow the line regardless, he won't be going against DF and why should he.    He's done a job at DCM in the past and very well and he's developed since then.  

But what would you do in our situation.... Just saying what I would do, as others are!   At the minute, the current 11 don't seem to have the answers to get us points regularly, do you think that will change?   Do you think Tettey will make any difference now, do you think it would be worth trying something else and what..... are you happy with the same strategy with little effective change in results.    Otherwise are you resigned to relegation.

'DF won't be doing this or that' could be argued on plenty of issues.... if we all 'move on' there'll be nothing to discuss.    Throw in some thoughts when you make comments, much more productive!

When you look at the alternative options in the squad, there isn't much difference in terms of style of ability from the team that is playing at the moment. You've got Hernandez who is a more direct traditional winger, Idah who is a completely untested physical number nine and that's about it. 

For what it's worth, I wouldn't mind seeing us use a back three, as I've mentioned a few times before. Zimmermann, Hanley and Godfrey together should give us solidity from balls into the box, whilst Aarons and Lewis would have less defensive responsibility and provide pace on the flanks in more advanced areas.

Basically, you'd have to sacrifice one of the three attacking midfielders for s centre back, but that's compensated offensively by the wing backs who push on. 

There isn't much we can do to change our system given the players available, but this is the alternative I wouldn't mind seeing.

I'd go:

Tim

Max             Zim                         Ben                   Grant                 Jam

Alex

Emi                                             Todd

Mario

Jos               Teem

Gives great flexibility in personnel as well: Kenny, Adam, Marco, Rupp, Duda could be swapped in as necessary.

Edited by ron obvious

5 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

I'd go:

Krul

Max

Everyone else is just irrelevant if you have these two! 😊

1 minute ago, NFN FC said:

Everyone else is just irrelevant if you have these two! 😊

Didn't realise hitting tab caused posting! :classic_blush: Now edited.

36 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Didn't realise hitting tab caused posting! :classic_blush: Now edited.

Might need another edit- you've gone from 2 to 12!

58 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

I'd go:

Tim

Max             Zim                         Ben                   Grant                 Jam

Alex

Emi                                             Todd

Mario

Jos               Teem

Gives great flexibility in personnel as well: Kenny, Adam, Marco, Rupp, Duda could be swapped in as necessary.

Would go with pretty much the same formation Ron - would just drop a centre-back as we would be playing 11 a-side football, not 12 a-side! 

Edited by HazzaJet

Tim

Hanley Godfrey Zimbo

Max.                                            Jamal

Buendia Vrancic Cantwell 

Drmic 

Pukki

Ben as a sweeper? 

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

Might need another edit- you've gone from 2 to 12!

Not doing very well am I. Maybe remove Zim?

Shame, If we could've gotten away with it we'd have been unstoppable!

Got to be 3-4-1-2 for me!

We need to attack the oppositions penalty box more with crosses, shots and a striker who can hold the ball up and is handy with his head - Drmic!

We also need to tighten up at the back!

Krul

Zimmerman         Hanley                   Godfrey

Aarons                        Tetty                     Maclean                        Lewis 

Buendia

Drmic                Pukki

20 minutes ago, kingsway said:

Got to be 3-4-1-2 for me!

We need to attack the oppositions penalty box more with crosses, shots and a striker who can hold the ball up and is handy with his head - Drmic!

We also need to tighten up at the back!

Krul

Zimmerman         Hanley                   Godfrey

Aarons                        Tetty                     Maclean                        Lewis 

Buendia

Drmic                Pukki

That's something like the formation I was trying to achieve. Perhaps move Kenny (or Mario?) closer to Emi with Alex (or Kenny if Alex dropped) ready to drop back to allow Ben to go on one of his very effective runs, which would give us an element of surprise.

3-3-1-1-2. Yup, adds up to 10 :classic_smile:

My above formation for myself offers the best of both Worlds in terms of defensive solidity and attacking potential!

Though I suspect I've more chance of getting 6 numbers than seeing Farke adopt this formation, just hoping I can plant the seed in his intricate mind!  

4 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Farke might not, Godfrey will tow the line regardless, he won't be going against DF and why should he.    He's done a job at DCM in the past and very well and he's developed since then.  

But what would you do in our situation.... Just saying what I would do, as others are!   At the minute, the current 11 don't seem to have the answers to get us points regularly, do you think that will change?   Do you think Tettey will make any difference now, do you think it would be worth trying something else and what..... are you happy with the same strategy with little effective change in results.    Otherwise are you resigned to relegation.

'DF won't be doing this or that' could be argued on plenty of issues.... if we all 'move on' there'll be nothing to discuss.    Throw in some thoughts when you make comments, much more productive!

Yeah, but.... I might as well suggest buying Messi, that ain’t happening either. Realistic suggestions I agree are welcome. My point is that Godfrey as CDM is unrealistic, so a pointless suggestion.

TBH, I think we’re about as good as we can get. I can’t see Vrancic as worth 90 minutes, although he’s a great impact sub sometimes. Emi obviously has to play, but it looks like DF agrees now. I also don’t believe Hernandez  is the saviour some see him as, he doesn’t have the end product needed in this league, plus he’s injured, so a moot point. I like Rupp, I think he will prove to be an astute buy, especially if we don’t achieve that little miracle. Duda is disappointing, he looked promising at first, so not sure what’s happened there.

tl;dr - there not much I can see we can improve on. It’s like Farke’s first season and we probably need to suck it up and look forward to the cup and next year.

Edited by Nuff Said

56 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Yeah, but.... I might as well suggest buying Messi, that ain’t happening either. Realistic suggestions I agree are welcome. My point is that Godfrey as CDM is unrealistic, so a pointless suggestion.

TBH, I think we’re about as good as we can get. I can’t see Vrancic as worth 90 minutes, although he’s a great impact sub sometimes. Emi obviously has to play, but it looks like DF agrees now. I also don’t believe Hernandez  is the saviour some see him as, he doesn’t have the end product needed in this league, plus he’s injured, so a moot point. I like Rupp, I think he will prove to be an astute buy, especially if we don’t achieve that little miracle. Duda is disappointing, he looked promising at first, so not sure what’s happened there.

tl;dr - there not much I can see we can improve on. It’s like Farke’s first season and we probably need to suck it up and look forward to the cup and next year.

Why is Godfrey unrealistic?   He has energy, pace, a defensive anticipation, can pass and bring the ball forward and has played in that role too,  all the elements for a CDM and certainly more overall abilities for the role than any of our other CDM options. With Zimmermann back and Klose soon, it becomes even more the option.  

Will never know if there is improvement in the team unless we exhaust all options whether personnel or formation.   In my experience, any catalyst that raises confidence improves the team and there is undoubted ability in this squad.     Getting Buendia operating around Pukki and both further up the park may also change the dynamic and put more pressure on opponents, but we haven’t done that.   Pukki is still spending too much time in our half (even around our box) when we’re out of possession.   Buendia is spending too much time protecting Aaron’s instead of creating opportunities.   Plenty of improvement and potential left in this squad albeit about 12-14 players currently of EPL level.

You’ve evidently given up the ghost.  While there are enough points available would prefer not to give it up, but at least try something else that ‘might’ work when nothing else has!    
OTBC.

Edited by ged in the onion bag