Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Fever

The Grey Strip

Grey is such a depressing down at heel colour. Last year we had the pink changing rooms to soften up the opposition.

Was there any psychological input into the choice of such a negative colour for a strip? Personally in a game of such fine margins and confidence I'd ban it immediately.

One of the worst ever  Cannot believe anyone in their right mind would authorise such a bland colour

Unless we have a color clash (Wolves - and even that is marginal) we should ALWAYS wear yellow and green. Partly for the sake of the solidity with the fans, partly for our wider reputation and branding as a club, and partly because it has to be a help to our players peripheral vision to be able to see a yellow shirt rather than a grey one....  

... if the club want to offer a casual wear top for fans to purchase then fine, do that and say that is what it is. 

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

Unless we have a color clash (Wolves - and even that is marginal) we should ALWAYS wear yellow and green. Partly for the sake of the solidity with the fans, partly for our wider reputation and branding as a club, and partly because it has to be a help to our players peripheral vision to be able to see a yellow shirt rather than a grey one....  

... if the club want to offer a casual wear top for fans to purchase then fine, do that and say that is what it is. 

Agree, but it's marketing. 

3 hours ago, Chumino said:

Agree, but it's marketing. 

No it isn't actually. There may be a contractual clause to wear it a certain number of times, but it's really terrible marketing. Successful marketing is about achieving your financial goals and satisfying the underlying needs of your customer base. This fails miserably.

The whole point for the kit vendor (and maybe the club) is to sell more shirts. But they would sell just as many if this was marketed as casual wear rather than a totally unnecessary third kit.  In fact even the red change kit is unnecessary, it could just as easily be a white shirt and socks variant of the main kit, so again people could wear it as a casual shirt. 

Edited by Surfer

Very hard for players to pick out players against the background of the crowd. 
should never have a grey kit. I wonder how many of the 3rd kit actually get sold. 
will be in the sale in a couple of weeks ready for next seasons pointless offering of a 3rd kit

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

No it isn't actually. There may be a contractual clause to wear it a certain number of times, but it's really terrible marketing. Proper marking is about achieving your financial goals and satisfying the underlying needs of your customer base. This fails miserably.

The whole point for the kit vendor (and maybe the club) is to sell more shirts. But they would sell just as many if this was properly marketed as casual wear rather than as a totally unnecessary third kit.  In fact even the change kit is unnecessary, it could just as easily be a white variant of the main kit, so again people could wear it as a casual shirt. 

It's still marketing. I do however agree with you. 

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

As soon as I learned we were playing in that stripe and Hooper was the ref, I predicted a loss.

I predicted a loss too after looking at our away form this season.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, percy varco said:

should never have a grey kit.

This^^^ I can't understand it at all. Bright colours are always better. Football is such an instinctive game that to be able to see team mates out of the corner of your eye is fundamental - and grey or black are never going to help that. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, percy varco said:

should never have a grey kit. I wonder how many of the 3rd kit actually get sold. 
will be in the sale in a couple of weeks ready for next seasons pointless offering of a 3rd kit

I bought one, and I love the kit. I think it looks quite classy and understated. However, I can totally see the argument that it's not a good colour for the team itself to wear.

• Like 1

Worst ever strip hate it can’t beat good old green and yellow , don’t mind the red so much but green and yellow will not clash with red and white stripes . 

Edited by Yellowhammer
Spelling

It's a third strip, designed to look good with a pair of jeans as our bright yellow (and this season bright red) tends not to. Having been part of these discussions with the club a number of years back, yellow is actually categorically the hardest colour to sell at retail and because of this they'll make either the away or third shirts with casual style in mind (and occasionally try to trigger cult classic status with a loopy one).

From a footballing standpoint, I expect us to lose when we wear it as generally any team I can remember wearing grey doesn't do well.

https://www.90min.com/posts/6224304-gary-neville-reveals-why-man-utd-ditched-grey-kit-at-half-time-during-1996-defeat-to-southampton

• Like 1

I bought one also. I liked it then, like it now and will still like it next season. Grey is a nice neutral colour and you can wear it with any other colour.

Signed

Giorgio Armani

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

It's a third strip, designed to look good with a pair of jeans ....yellow is actually categorically the hardest colour to sell at retail and because of this they'll make either the away or third shirts with casual style in mind.

I expect us to lose when we wear it as generally any team I can remember wearing grey doesn't do well.

So there is your "proof". It looks good with jeans. Agree with that. We lose games when we wear it. Agree with that too.

If true, what's the financial gain / loss from selling a few more shirts v's losing an additional three games a season?

Just market it as casual wear, and stop promoting it as a third strip and the club would be much better off financially.

Yes, that's true it's the nicest grey kit we have had in a long time, and hopefully ever. 

On 09/03/2020 at 18:47, Midlands Yellow said:

Didn’t Man Utd blame their grey away kit too years ago.

It was at Southampton and they ditched it at H/T when 3-0 down.