Sign in to follow this  
Yellow and Green

Sheffield United

On 07/03/2020 at 17:45, SplatCat said:

Genuinely think we are further ahead in our journey though. They remind me a bit of when we got promoted under Lambert - high energy, physical. But they are more defensive. Thing is, we then had years under hughton when we basically realised we all hated defensive football, it wasn't worth it. Now we are in the Premier League having a go at playing attacking football. Yes it isn't working out but at least we are trying to play good football and ultimately it will pay dividends as we are good to watch week in week out and our players are worth loads as we bring through the youth. Our squad must be worth a lot more than theirs. I would still rather watch us every week. What is the point of kicking your way to stay in the Prem year by year. 

Really? They will stay up and possibly qualify for Europe. We will get relegated. How the hell are we "ahead in our journey." Its this kind of thinking that must be music to the ears of the board and our owners. 

I do, however, think that Shef U will get worked out next season and will find it tough. Despite their deserved success this season I don't think their players are actually any better than ours in terms of ability (just better drilled and organised defensively and have successfully ridden the momentum once they got going) and I think now everyone knows how they play teams will start to adapt and will eventually nullify it. I must confess I am disappointed Farke hasn't managed to do that in the two games we played (he did so to a degree at half time on Saturday but as usual was too late) but then Farke has had a very disappointing season full stop in tactical terms.

Edited by Jim Smith
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, East Rider said:

Can't agree with this. They were by a considerable margin, one of the best teams to come to Carrow road last season and this season they played us off the park.

Yes they are physical in some areas but lets be honest here, they are there on merit and we could do with a bit of what they have.

Our team on its day is superb to watch and gives really good entertainment to us at CR. However, I for one would wish to be in the PL next season and they look like being able to sustain their PL status for quite a while. Am I just a little bit envious? Absolutely.

We should have been 2 or 3 up at half time so not sure you can say they played us off the park but they did (as most teams do) come out fired up after half time and did a number on us in that second half as we (as we do every week) made yet another a slow start to the second half.

• Like 1

Yeh but when we had Hughton as manager we basically had our go and just staying up in the league and playing defensively. They've had a good season but that's basically what they're doing. We all hated it. After a season and a half we all got very bored. So now we're having a go at staying up playing positive football. It hasn't worked but that was what I was meaning in being ahead in our journey. Ok some clubs like Wimbledon in the 90s don't mind playing that way but we've always tried to play good football. We've now got a model where we can try playing this way in the long term. 

Just now, SplatCat said:

Yeh but when we had Hughton as manager we basically had our go and just staying up in the league and playing defensively. They've had a good season but that's basically what they're doing. We all hated it. After a season and a half we all got very bored. So now we're having a go at staying up playing positive football. It hasn't worked but that was what I was meaning in being ahead in our journey. Ok some clubs like Wimbledon in the 90s don't mind playing that way but we've always tried to play good football. We've now got a model where we can try playing this way in the long term. 

If you think anything about how they are playing is comparable to what we did under Hughton then I'd suggest you've not watched them.

1 minute ago, SplatCat said:

It's more high octane but being defensively solid is their no.1 priority. Which is fair enough.

Yeah I agree with that but for me the tempo, the willingness to commit bodies forward and the fact they don't fold the second they concede means they are very different to what we saw under Hughton.

Never before have I been compelled to join up another teams forum to talk about my club but the rubbish on here is too much to read without saying something.

You are not ahead of the Blades in any journey at all. In fact right now you are way behind as the league shows, clearly. We're also not a bunch of cloggers, we are way more than that. Fleck, Norwood and Lundstram, as he proved with his cross on Saturday provide quality in the midfield and have flourished in the Premier League because they are part of a fluid system that always gives them an option to pass to, like overlapping centre halves and attack minded wing backs who get ahead of the ball. This means we keep the ball better but if we give it away we are tenacious and eager to get it back immediately which is what the top teams do. High press, win it back and don't let the opposition settle.

And as for being really defensive, well both our wing backs scored at Carrow Road, both from inside your penalty box too which is not bad for a team who do nothing but stop the opposition from scoring. We have overlapping centre halves to get bodies forward when we attack. That creates overloads in positions and means we are difficult to mark player for player and again we always have an option. Not bad for a team who play defensively.

The fact is Wilder has got the attacking and defending balance absolutely bang on. But hey, you should know that with your obvious footballing knowledge. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BillySharpsCircus said:

Never before have I been compelled to join up another teams forum to talk about my club but the rubbish on here is too much to read without saying something.

You are not ahead of the Blades in any journey at all. In fact right now you are way behind as the league shows, clearly. We're also not a bunch of cloggers, we are way more than that. Fleck, Norwood and Lundstram, as he proved with his cross on Saturday provide quality in the midfield and have flourished in the Premier League because they are part of a fluid system that always gives them an option to pass to, like overlapping centre halves and attack minded wing backs who get ahead of the ball. This means we keep the ball better but if we give it away we are tenacious and eager to get it back immediately which is what the top teams do. High press, win it back and don't let the opposition settle.

And as for being really defensive, well both our wing backs scored at Carrow Road, both from inside your penalty box too which is not bad for a team who do nothing but stop the opposition from scoring. We have overlapping centre halves to get bodies forward when we attack. That creates overloads in positions and means we are difficult to mark player for player and again we always have an option. Not bad for a team who play defensively.

The fact is Wilder has got the attacking and defending balance absolutely bang on. But hey, you should know that with your obvious footballing knowledge. 

To be fair, several posters have said this. If you look at the forum in any depth, you will see plenty of posts praising Chris Wilder. 

22 minutes ago, BillySharpsCircus said:

Most of this thread contains very complimentary comments towards your team and manager etc. 

They have Wilder we have Farke depends if you want to watch a team that gets results or watch entertaining football with nothing at the end of 90 minutes 

56 minutes ago, BillySharpsCircus said:

I suggest you don’t read other teams forums then. The majority of the posts on here are very complimentary about your team. Far more complimentary than many teams forums would be

2 hours ago, BillySharpsCircus said:

I agree completely with this assessment. I too find it hard to comprehend that some people on this forum think that we're somehow better or 'further along our journey', or we have some sort of moral high-ground because on occasion we're able to play some nice, attractive, quick, short passing. 

1 hour ago, It's Character Forming said:

Looks like some of the comments on this thread touched a nerve !

And rightly so really, if I were a Sheffield United fan I'd be pretty confused by some of these posts. It's like the Ipswich fans who try to claim sort of victory over us right now for trivial reasons.

19 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

And rightly so really, if I were a Sheffield United fan I'd be pretty confused by some of these posts.

Any fan who is so outraged or moved by what they read on another club's forum to actually be bothered to register and then post is either a troll or an idiot. Like anyone here cares what Sheffield United fans think about what we think about their team?

My view on Sheffield United is that they are strong, direct, very well organised and are set up to be a lower to mid level premier league team and as such should be very pleased with how they have done this season. Wilder has assembled a team of experienced mostly domestic players and drilled them very well in a tactical system that doesn't rely on excessive flair or the presence of one or two superstars for its success and it's worked very well against 'stronger' teams.

There is certainly an element of us underachieving and them overachieving, but it's undeniable that their style of play has been much more successful at this level than ours. It's telling that our style of play that dominated the Championship (more so than theirs) has been significantly weaker in the premier league. Yes they have a bigger budget and have invested more in their squad, but the core of their side is unchanged from last season, as is ours.

• Like 1

I've popped on here just to add my two-penneth. Long standing blades fan - Season ticket holder and have seen our two teams games for the past two seasons. Look, you have some decent players and probably play more attractive football to the armchair football purist - we simply play effective football better than most if not all. What we don't play, and this isn't aimed at you lot is long ball. I saw long ball with Dave Bassett at the Lane and a better phrase is channel football - put it in the channels and pick up the second balls. Our S6 neighbours did it, we've done it, others have done it and others will continue to do it. We quite simply don't - we do hit diagonals to our wing backs when other teams formations allow. It simply isn't long ball football - it's a long pass played with precision for the ultimate purpose of creating a quick overload. This is what fans of other teams do not see. I was at the game on Saturday and you played some nice football (as always), but your defence is rubbish. It was last season but being as good as you were going forward then, it masked your problem which has been highlighted this season by the extra quality in the Premier League. You have two centre halves that are average. You have a couple of extremely good fullbacks who are great pushing up, but are average at defending. We found bucket loads of space around Aarons and to a lesser extent with Lewis on Saturday and the game should have been finished by half time. It wasn't put to bed by half time and it gave you the thought and opportunity to push on us second half seeing as it was only one nil. Looking at last season, i'd have taken 4 or 5 of your players to put straight into our team and considering what's happened this season, you'll probably have to lose Cantwell, Buendia and Aarons after you've (probably) gone down. £90/100m for the three should soften the blow and perhaps replace with players capable of getting you out in one season and staying next time - but, you MUST make your defence more stable. Our stable defence is why we are staying in this league. Our midfield is extremely well drilled and significant in quality to be pretty decent. Of course we are no world beaters, but the team always outweighs individuals. The reason why we are good can be summed up in two instances on Saturday. Take a look at Lundstram who crossed for Billy Sharp to score - but don't watch Lundstram - watch Basham on his outside that made your player in front of Lundstram check as he was then going to track Basham, giving Lundstram the freedom to cross at his leisure. This is what we work on consistently in training and in the game on Saturday was ultimately the goal that won the game. Teams will not work us out, because we practice it so much and the opposition simply don't work on it that much to combat it. We are as Wilder keeps saying, relentless in our approach to games. We'll also get better as our training ground is rebuilt in the summer, where one of the main points of improvement will be video analysis of both ourselves and the opposition. The second issue in the game was one occasion where Egan pushes forward from centre of the back  three - Fleck instinctively dropped into his centre back position to cover, therefore leaving no gaps. We are extremely well drilled and switched on - these are not thick footballers, it takes intelligence and good coaching. Not enough emphasis is given to our first team coach, Alan Knill. He's always watching football games to learn from others, so it's not all about Wilder as the press and opposition fans likes to say. Our issue in progressing for me is up top and where to find £30/40m for a striker and persuading them to come. For you, I think as much as you might like your defenders, it's an area you must play attention to next season. Sort that, keep Farke and you could bounce straight back. As fans i've seen some of you slag off your directors/owners due to lack of funds - of course they wanted to stay in the division but took a bit of a gamble. The gamble probably won't pay off - but Prem money, parachute payments plus the inevitable player sales could pave your way to come back and be stronger. Burnley appear to have written that manual themselves, perhaps you have to keep Farke and therefore continuity and see where it takes you. Bungay (long time in the past), South of Norwich holds a special place with me - i'll look forward to more Adnams in the future! All the best.

UTB & FTP. The FTP is an education for you  - it means F**K the Pigs (our S6 neighbours). We don't hate Norwich by the way, we have no reason to - it's just the banter - lets keep it that way in the future.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fulwoodblade said:

I've popped on here just to add my two-penneth. Long standing blades fan - Season ticket holder and have seen our two teams games for the past two seasons. Look, you have some decent players and probably play more attractive football to the armchair football purist - we simply play effective football better than most if not all. What we don't play, and this isn't aimed at you lot is long ball. I saw long ball with Dave Bassett at the Lane and a better phrase is channel football - put it in the channels and pick up the second balls. Our S6 neighbours did it, we've done it, others have done it and others will continue to do it. We quite simply don't - we do hit diagonals to our wing backs when other teams formations allow. It simply isn't long ball football - it's a long pass played with precision for the ultimate purpose of creating a quick overload. This is what fans of other teams do not see. I was at the game on Saturday and you played some nice football (as always), but your defence is rubbish. It was last season but being as good as you were going forward then, it masked your problem which has been highlighted this season by the extra quality in the Premier League. You have two centre halves that are average. You have a couple of extremely good fullbacks who are great pushing up, but are average at defending. We found bucket loads of space around Aarons and to a lesser extent with Lewis on Saturday and the game should have been finished by half time. It wasn't put to bed by half time and it gave you the thought and opportunity to push on us second half seeing as it was only one nil. Looking at last season, i'd have taken 4 or 5 of your players to put straight into our team and considering what's happened this season, you'll probably have to lose Cantwell, Buendia and Aarons after you've (probably) gone down. £90/100m for the three should soften the blow and perhaps replace with players capable of getting you out in one season and staying next time - but, you MUST make your defence more stable. Our stable defence is why we are staying in this league. Our midfield is extremely well drilled and significant in quality to be pretty decent. Of course we are no world beaters, but the team always outweighs individuals. The reason why we are good can be summed up in two instances on Saturday. Take a look at Lundstram who crossed for Billy Sharp to score - but don't watch Lundstram - watch Basham on his outside that made your player in front of Lundstram check as he was then going to track Basham, giving Lundstram the freedom to cross at his leisure. This is what we work on consistently in training and in the game on Saturday was ultimately the goal that won the game. Teams will not work us out, because we practice it so much and the opposition simply don't work on it that much to combat it. We are as Wilder keeps saying, relentless in our approach to games. We'll also get better as our training ground is rebuilt in the summer, where one of the main points of improvement will be video analysis of both ourselves and the opposition. The second issue in the game was one occasion where Egan pushes forward from centre of the back  three - Fleck instinctively dropped into his centre back position to cover, therefore leaving no gaps. We are extremely well drilled and switched on - these are not thick footballers, it takes intelligence and good coaching. Not enough emphasis is given to our first team coach, Alan Knill. He's always watching football games to learn from others, so it's not all about Wilder as the press and opposition fans likes to say. Our issue in progressing for me is up top and where to find £30/40m for a striker and persuading them to come. For you, I think as much as you might like your defenders, it's an area you must play attention to next season. Sort that, keep Farke and you could bounce straight back. As fans i've seen some of you slag off your directors/owners due to lack of funds - of course they wanted to stay in the division but took a bit of a gamble. The gamble probably won't pay off - but Prem money, parachute payments plus the inevitable player sales could pave your way to come back and be stronger. Burnley appear to have written that manual themselves, perhaps you have to keep Farke and therefore continuity and see where it takes you. Bungay (long time in the past), South of Norwich holds a special place with me - i'll look forward to more Adnams in the future! All the best.

UTB & FTP. The FTP is an education for you  - it means F**K the Pigs (our S6 neighbours). We don't hate Norwich by the way, we have no reason to - it's just the banter - lets keep it that way in the future.

Blimey as an SU supporter too - that's one helluva post 🙂

As I previously posted on here I really hope NC stay up - attacking football needs to be encouraged, BUT you need to stop the ball going in at the other end 🙂 - Best of luck 

Other than this last six months, last time Sheffield United were relevant to English football, Jimmy Muir played for them.

18 hours ago, BillySharpsCircus said:

Touchy... I suggest you read the posts . Special bunch Blades fans... 

14 hours ago, fulwoodblade said:

Guess there is not a lot to do Sheffield 😄

Edited by Kenny Foggo

Despite what our friend  Fullwoodblade says, I would rather have Farkeball than Wilderball, any day of the week.   Wilder has done well, but his well organised teams rely on no nonsense full on physical football, including clogging if the opposition get too cute. 

Sheff Utd are destined to be just another Watford, Burnley, Brighton......effective tactics but not much else.  Results? Yes, you can't knock that, they've done great, but we are after something more special - and it will take another season or two to see if we can do that. So we may be behind in terms of places in the table, but we are on a development plan that will be at its best in two or three years and if it means going down, so be it, we should be back.  

I wouldn't knock Sheff Utd at all - they are on their own journey.  Imo they can't get much better than they are, will just be adding to the mid-table physical style of PL football that is effective but not excatly beautiful.  Farkeball at it's best is brilliant to watch and is still developing. With another year or two of development we will see where we are compared to Sheff Utd.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Despite what our friend  Fullwoodblade says, I would rather have Farkeball than Wilderball, any day of the week.   Wilder has done well, but his well organised teams rely on no nonsense full on physical football, including clogging if the opposition get too cute. 

Sheff Utd are destined to be just another Watford, Burnley, Brighton......effective tactics but not much else.  Results? Yes, you can't knock that, they've done great, but we are after something more special - and it will take another season or two to see if we can do that. So we may be behind in terms of places in the table, but we are on a development plan that will be at its best in two or three years and if it means going down, so be it, we should be back.  

I wouldn't knock Sheff Utd at all - they are on their own journey.  Imo they can't get much better than they are, will just be adding to the mid-table physical style of PL football that is effective but not excatly beautiful.  Farkeball at it's best is brilliant to watch and is still developing. With another year or two of development we will see where we are compared to Sheff Utd.

Wilderball has taken 13 of the last 15 points against Farkeball. So you're happier to lose than win. OK.

And I'm happy to be the new Watford, Burnley or Brighton. Teams with regular Premier League football. Better than being a Derby, Fulham or Middlesbrough like you're destined to be.

And the answer to your last point is Championship to Premier League. The gap between our teams in points is greater than the number of points you've picked up all season.

But you're happy with that so it doesn't bother you.

1 hour ago, BillySharpsCircus said:

Wilderball has taken 13 of the last 15 points against Farkeball. So you're happier to lose than win. OK.

And I'm happy to be the new Watford, Burnley or Brighton. Teams with regular Premier League football. Better than being a Derby, Fulham or Middlesbrough like you're destined to be.

And the answer to your last point is Championship to Premier League. The gap between our teams in points is greater than the number of points you've picked up all season.

I think the reality is the respective positions of both teams. The table doesn't lie. SU are streets ahead at this point in time. Wilder is very impressive.

No need for you to be defensive about Sheff U or really worry about what some Norwich fans think. 

I suppose life goes round and comes round. Have to hope it's your time in the sun for a long stint. Certainly it is this year. Every year brings a success story and this year, you're that story (forget the top 6).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BillySharpsCircus said:

If we played like you I would no longer support NCFC.

There's a collective attitude that you'll do whatever's necessary to win a game, & if that includes crippling the opposition then sobeit.

I want to watch football, not MMA.

I couldn't support a team of thugs supported by thugs with a chip on their shoulders a mile high.

Just my personal opinion. I'm sure there's lots of NCFC supporters who are of the same opinion as yours.

3 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

There's a collective attitude that you'll do whatever's necessary to win a game, & if that includes crippling the opposition then sobeit.

I couldn't support a team of thugs supported by thugs with a chip on their shoulders a mile high.

Just my personal opinion. I'm sure there's lots of NCFC supporters who are of the same opinion as yours.

Teams of thugs who cripple the opposition don't exist any more. I think they died out in the 90s after being prevalent for a few decades.

Has a Sheffield United actually seriously injured a player recently? I can't remember any instances.

I find this sudden resentment and snobbery that we have towards Sheffield United strange. They're not a bad team to watch, they play positive football, they get bodies forward and they play at a good tempo. They're far from cloggers and thugs and I'd love to see them in Europe next season to break the status quo.

9 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

So if Norwich played liked the Blades and had 43 points this season and were fighting for a Champions League place you wouldn't go and watch them?

I'm calling you a liar!

I couldn't support a team that doesn't leave it all on the pitch to win a game of football. Playing nice football and losing still makes you a loser. 

Edited by BillySharpsCircus

2 minutes ago, BillySharpsCircus said:

So if Norwich played liked the Blades and had 43 points this season and were fighting for a Champions League place you wouldn't go and watch them?

I'm calling you a liar!

That's nowhere near as good as watching 'beautiful football' that has produced three goals in the last eight Premier League matches, and two of those were penalties. Non-stop entertainment over here. 

12 minutes ago, BillySharpsCircus said:

I'm calling you a liar!

I couldn't support a team that doesn't leave it all on the pitch to win a game of football. Playing nice football and losing still makes you a loser. 

Now I was kind to you on my previous point stating you were this season's success story.

Maybe we are losers but the enjoyment watching the way we set up to play is one of the joys of being a Norwich supporter these last two years. Winning isn't everything. Under Hughton, we played dull football which completely turned me off watching. Never want to see that again. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Teams of thugs who cripple the opposition don't exist any more. I think they died out in the 90s after being prevalent for a few decades.

Has a Sheffield United actually seriously injured a player recently? I can't remember any instances.

I find this sudden resentment and snobbery that we have towards Sheffield United strange. They're not a bad team to watch, they play positive football, they get bodies forward and they play at a good tempo. They're far from cloggers and thugs and I'd love to see them in Europe next season to break the status quo.

Watching them on Saturday they did, as a regular feature, take our players down from behind.  This happened quite a lot in open play, but especially when we'd won the ball in our half and were looking to break, they would tactically foul to stop the move developing.  Utterly cynical and it was so widespread that it can't be a coincidence.  It's the sort of play that can easily lead to injuries, I wish refs would pick it up and give yellow cards but that seems to have stopped happening for these sort of challenges so they simply got away with it.  Yes, we got fouls (most of the time) but they're careful to do it in positions where the free kicks are not that dangerous (again a sign that it's not happening by accident).

I'm not sure if I'd go as far as Ron and stop watching City if we adopted those sort of tactics, it would depend how often and for how long, I'm a life long City fan so it would probably be like when Hughton managed us, I'd just live with it and hope it would change (and feel uncomfortable about it).

So I can fully understand some of their fans feeling very defensive about their style of play, as this thread proves !!

• Like 1