Sign in to follow this  
Yellow and Green

Sheffield United

They are such a frustrating team to play against.

Are they a good footballing side? No.

They are essentially a bunch of trolls. Hugely physical, win their 50/50s, nick a goal and defend in numbers. I admire them in a strange way, yet I cannot believe they are 8th in the league. 

Surely they'll be back where they belong soon (lower Championship).

They will be up there a lot longer than us that’s for sure , how did Duda stay on the pitch for so long ? We looked better second half but really not a match on them . Unlucky to not scramble a goal shame as would have been a good day to pick up points 

They are a good footballing side in their own way, though. They have a unique tactical system which creates overloads on the flanks and allows them to put in dangerous crosses for strikers who attack the ball very well.

They are where they are on merit, Wilder is an absolute genius and I really hope they can nick fifth place and get into the Champions League.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

They are doing a Burnley rather than a Fulham (unlike us ... bar the £100m they splashed at Craven Cottage!).

And that's not meant as a criticism.

They are drilled, tight at the back, fit and confidently still riding the wave of recent promotions. They can also fizz the ball about when they need to. We have one way of playing.

Good luck to them.

Edited by Cantiaci Canary
  • Like 1

Nonsense. Yes they are physical but we were so powder puff it was clearly the way to beat us. Credit where credits due, they’ve had a fantastic season. Good luck to them.

Genuinely think we are further ahead in our journey though. They remind me a bit of when we got promoted under Lambert - high energy, physical. But they are more defensive. Thing is, we then had years under hughton when we basically realised we all hated defensive football, it wasn't worth it. Now we are in the Premier League having a go at playing attacking football. Yes it isn't working out but at least we are trying to play good football and ultimately it will pay dividends as we are good to watch week in week out and our players are worth loads as we bring through the youth. Our squad must be worth a lot more than theirs. I would still rather watch us every week. What is the point of kicking your way to stay in the Prem year by year. 

When you have recently been in League 1, staying in the Premier sounds like a great plan. By whatever means. 

I agree that Hooper let them get away with a lot today. Still I never expect anything else from him, an awful ref. 

They play very good football. Playing it out from the back and having 500 passes between your back 4 is not the only football that can be considered good.

Just now, king canary said:

They play very good football. Playing it out from the back and having 500 passes between your back 4 is not the only football that can be considered good.

They win. That's it.

2 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

They win. That's it.

No it isn't though.

Watching them last season, the whole overlapping central defenders and wing backs was extremely good football and a tactical innovation by Wilder. If Farke had done that we'd be absolutely creaming ourselves about how amazing a manager he is.

They attack in numbers, they aren't afraid to cross the ball and the go direct when the need takes them but they aren't cloggers.

They've done well and deserve where they are, they do play good football. They are just more equipped to deal with premier league than us right now.

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

No it isn't though.

Watching them last season, the whole overlapping central defenders and wing backs was extremely good football and a tactical innovation by Wilder. If Farke had done that we'd be absolutely creaming ourselves about how amazing a manager he is.

They attack in numbers, they aren't afraid to cross the ball and the go direct when the need takes them but they aren't cloggers.

I disrespectfully disagree.

1 hour ago, SplatCat said:

Genuinely think we are further ahead in our journey though. They remind me a bit of when we got promoted under Lambert - high energy, physical.

I'm genuine confused as to how we're further ahead in our journey than the season under Lambert.

They must be doing something right, they've doubled us this season. As have Villa, who also came up with us last year...

Edited by First Wazzock

Yup, it’s amazing what you can do if you splash a little cash once promoted; you’re not left relying to quite the same degree on gambles as you are with free signings.  Yes they’ll not all work out, they never do at any club, but the extra quality/depth of guys who all fit in their system, has made a difference.

Edited by Branston Pickle

4 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

I disrespectfully disagree.

That's your prerogative.

I disrespectfully suggest you sound like you've got a case of sour grapes.

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Yup, it’s amazing what you can do if you splash a little cash once promoted; you’re not left relying to quite the same degree on gambles that you are with free signings.  Yes they’ll not all work out, they never do, but the extra quality/depth that fits in their system has made a difference.

That's not totally it BP. Wilder's formulae has actually worked, whereas Farkes hasn't and it's been pretty obvious for a while that it wouldn't yet he refuses to change it. In fairness I'm not sure how he could have with the squad at his disposal but we are where we are. 

15 minutes ago, king canary said:

That's your prerogative.

I disrespectfully suggest you sound like you've got a case of sour grapes.

Playing against opposition who really don't care if they end your career is very difficult. They aren't just cloggers, but they have that in their armoury. 

As I said, there's a difference between being simply physically stronger & being prepared to cripple opposition players if necessary. We don't have that attitude, & most other PL teams don't. They do & it's part of their strategy.

Actually I think they have a huge collective chip on their shoulder, which originates from Wilder & his experience of being in L1, which I would imagine he found intensely humiliating. Farke not turning up early enough for him at Bramall lane would have been indicative to him of how all those Fancy Dan teams viewed his beloved United, & I'll bet it rankles to this day. You can feel it in the crowd as well.

It's not the whole story, but I think it's a big part.

Edited by ron obvious

On 07/03/2020 at 17:01, Yellow and Green said:

They are such a frustrating team to play against.

Are they a good footballing side? No.

They are essentially a bunch of trolls. Hugely physical, win their 50/50s, nick a goal and defend in numbers. I admire them in a strange way, yet I cannot believe they are 8th in the league. 

Surely they'll be back where they belong soon (lower Championship).

Can't agree with this. They were by a considerable margin, one of the best teams to come to Carrow road last season and this season they played us off the park.

Yes they are physical in some areas but lets be honest here, they are there on merit and we could do with a bit of what they have.

Our team on its day is superb to watch and gives really good entertainment to us at CR. However, I for one would wish to be in the PL next season and they look like being able to sustain their PL status for quite a while. Am I just a little bit envious? Absolutely.

They're very organised at the back and deliver great balls in the box ,they deserve to be where they are 'yes we are better to watch but they'll be in the premier next year .

The level of disrespect and misplaced snobbery towards Sheffield United is peculiar. They're better than us right now, they're more effective, they're more streetwise, and they'll be in the Premier League next year, and possibly Europe too.

But it's alright, we play some neat passes sometimes, so we're clearly the real winners.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

Well that was an extremely close call! - thanks to England's future goalkeeper we managed to gain all the points - but why did NC leave it until the last 15 minutes to engage top gear? 

To those who accuse SUFC of being cloggers and non footballers - behave! 🙂

All the very best to NCFC in staying up - you do really deserve to but, Farke needs to be rather wiser in his selections and tactics to enable this to happen. Good luck.

• Like 2

On 07/03/2020 at 17:45, SplatCat said:

Genuinely think we are further ahead in our journey though. They remind me a bit of when we got promoted under Lambert - high energy, physical. But they are more defensive. Thing is, we then had years under hughton when we basically realised we all hated defensive football, it wasn't worth it. Now we are in the Premier League having a go at playing attacking football. Yes it isn't working out but at least we are trying to play good football and ultimately it will pay dividends as we are good to watch week in week out and our players are worth loads as we bring through the youth. Our squad must be worth a lot more than theirs. I would still rather watch us every week. What is the point of kicking your way to stay in the Prem year by year. 

Come on man...

For what its worth, I actually really enjoy watching Sheffield United play.

A almost all British team, who put their bodies on the line for each other, every week.

Incredibly well built, structured and shaped.

They've perfected the art of the cross, which seems to be a lost art these days.

They're far from long ball merchants and can play some good football too.

Billy Sharp aside, I look forward to seeing them play in Europe.

Edited by CDMullins

They defend well and they  attack clinically. They are physical and win aerial battles. Well organised and aren't a one trick pony. So they won and are doing well on merit. 

I just wish Norwich would play as they did in the last 15 mins, less playing it to one and other at the back and looking to move the ball forward quicker.

As Wilder said they are better in both boxes than us and that is all that really matters... We work hard but do not have the players to win enough games to keep us up.. so frustrating and predictable.

They are better than us but I would still rather watch us. 

They have basically kept the same ethos that served them so well in league one  - physicality, good in the air, crosses, tough to break down - and transferred it to the prem. 

If and when it clicks with us - as it did against Tottenham in the second half and did at times against Leicester - we are miles ahead of them. It takes a lot more skill and good coaching to try and play the way we play.