Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

match thread

13 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Byram apart our summer and January signings have bought absolutely nothing to the table.

Other than prop it up. Duda ans Rupp are particularly depressing signings it has to be said.

Boy the team must have performed terribly in the first 45 minutes, because not even Duda was that bad in the second half. Actually he looked rather good at times. It was Buendia really who I didn't see do much, but I assume he was tired. No excuse for his solution in the final minute. I liked Drmic.

And Hanley was a beast.

• Like 1

Just now, Making Plans said:
7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Very close match in the end. We came on much stronger second half with good subs and were unlucky not to score with the ball 85% over the line - and Pukki's shot that hit the post.  Very small margins, but it could easily have finished 1-1 and if we had got that goal, we were looking stroing to perhaps go on.   Sheff Utd do what Sheff Utd do and it was not a disgrace today, it's just that we needed the points!  

So why did we wait 75 minutes before we gave it a go?

The only way in a game you are second best in is to hang in there and keep the score down, then try and make a difference as the game develops - which is what we did. If Pukki scores that goal in the first half its a whole different game too. Small margins as ever - take the ball that was 85% over the line.....but we gave it a good go, but weren't good enough against a very strong side who are second best defence in the division.  We weren't great, but were trying hard - and very nearly got that goal.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BaltimoreBird said:

Would prefer to see Stiepermann over Duda going forward. May not be ideal at this level, but at least when he gets the ball he understands where it should go. Drives forward and can distribute if needed. Dude appears to offer zero for our side. Vrancic and Rupp too would be preferred.

No he doesn’t!!!   Of all our players this season Stiepermann has been the most out of his depth to the point where its actually uncomfortable to watch!    He can’t get near the ball, can’t control it and all he does is kick opponents and fall over.    Duda and Rupp have been disappointing but it’s difficult coming into this league and getting to the pace of it.   Remember Pires and Henry having stinkers of a first season for Arsenal, how brilliant were they in the end.   Problem is we can’t afford to carry anyone, they’ve had a chance and aren’t ready.     Vrancic can’t play DCM with any consistency but he could do better than Duda.    I’d go 4-4-1-1 now.... Buendia behind Pukki, with both further advanced - not defending at all.    Gives us an out ball, and avoids them wasting energy defending.  

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

Other than prop it up. Duda ans Rupp are particularly depressing signings it has to be said.

I disagree about Rupp. Very strongly in fact. Duda I'm agnostic about. He confuses me, because at times you see his capabilities and he even creates an attempt, but then he sort of disappears. The second half today he was ok. His first half must have sucked judging by the hate.

• Like 1

I think they cross the line from 'strong' to plain dirty. They do something a lot of teams do against us; put in an early bad tackle - carefully judged to be a yellow at worst - to see what they can get away with. Well they soon found out after nearly crippling Max. Basically anything.

5 minutes ago, Upo said:

I disagree about Rupp. Very strongly in fact. Duda I'm agnostic about. He confuses me, because at times you see his capabilities and he even creates an attempt, but then he sort of disappears. The second half today he was ok. His first half must have sucked judging by the hate.

Rupp is a steady Eddie player doesn't really offer much tbh. Ok to bring on with 20 to go if you are 2-0 up but I don't see where he is better than we already had. Vrancic looks rusty and is suffering from lack of game time but Rupp and Duda walk straight into the team and stay there regardless of their performances.

• Like 1

The scoreline was close but that was it. Sheffield United do not create or score many goals. But they are a powerful well drilled committed outfit. And any good stuff we did today was in front of them and not in the slightest threatening.

We really do have to change things. We have certain players, and we know who they are who aren't worth their places, and one or two who aren't on form. If Duda is picked next match then I'm sorry, DF will be off his rocker. Overall our better players at the moment are defenders! Tim, Max, Jamal and Ben are returning to the form we knew they had.

But the rest of the team is going nowhere fast. We have the ability. We beat Leicester. But we can't string two performances together in the league and the promise of one game is drowned by the inept performance of the next. Other teams are getting clear because they have put three or four together. Why can't we?

Teemu looks way out of form. Drmic looks awful and managed to miss from a foot today. Todd looks frightened and Emi is not being played in the right position. In fact, we show little or no threat.

We have five home games left and positionally in the table, we couldn't have asked for a lot better for getting points. Five wins at home and a couple of draws away could just do it. But that means playing a bit more consistently and picking the right side DF.

Difficult one to take today, after the various heroics of the week past.

The winning point today for them was their remarkable discipline getting back into shape after the ball is lost- we can play through a counter-press if we're on it, but today Sheff Utd dropped straight back into a thick defensive screen whenever the ball was lost. By the time we had our heads up looking to pick the lock, the lock had been locked behind another lock and we were left toothless.

That's where I think they've progressed and we haven't; they have a well-drilled system but are flexible in how they play it- they can sit in and break, they can dominate possession, they can play over you just as well as through you. We also have a well-drilled system but when we aren't on it our only backup plan is to do the same thing but try harder at it.

That's the key takeaway- we need pretty much all 11 to have good games to get a result, but too often we have 3,4,5 players turning in a 5/10 and that's that.

People seemed to be happy with the starting 11 today. Farke changed it and was still wrong. We just dont have the physicality to compete in this league we never really have. We can get away with a team of technically great players in the champs as teams fear us. In the premier league they don't. We are very one dimensional in our play, crowd the middle of the park to stop creative through balls and it's that easy to stop us scoring as all teams no we wont go wide because we have no one that can cross a ball.

15 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Rupp is a steady Eddie player doesn't really offer much tbh. Ok to bring on with 20 to go if you are 2-0 up but I don't see where he is better than we already had. Vrancic looks rusty and is suffering from lack of game time but Rupp and Duda walk straight into the team and stay there regardless of their performances.

Steady Eddie is Rupp's role. He wasn't brought in to blow away the Premier League. He was brought in as backstop multidimensional player with serious Champs quality, but has surpassed expectations and gets to play more than anybody would have expected him to. I rate him as a big success as a signing.

Duda on the other hand we can reasonably expect to look comfortable at this level. Which he occasionally does seem. I think he's yet to find a good role because of the chaoticism of Buendia situation. Sometimes Buendia is there and fit. Sometimes he's not. Sometimes Buendia has attitude problems, sometimes Buendia is great. It is difficult to adjust to that.

The problem I think is that Duda doesn't find Teemu like Buendia does. You are going to be sorely disappointed if you expect to replace Buendia with Duda or Rupp. In some ways Teemu's positioning IQ is so high that only Buendia can keep up with him, and sometimes McLean. Even Cantwell misses Teemu's position frequently. It is quite frustrating sometimes to watch the fraction of a second where Teemu steps back and becomes immediately available, but the other players don't notice that. Buendia is a genius in those moments and very nearly can read Pukki's mind expecting that fraction of a second.

We were beaten by a well drilled and strong team, who do the basics very well.

Their set peices are fantastic, literally everyone on a sixpence.

All this fluffy 'if we'd have scored we'd have been fine' is nonesense, Sheff Utd were in second gear.

Not sure if Max was instructed not to take on their full back, but not once did he attempt to beat Egan or Osborne, his worst perfromance for sometime.

The Sheff Utd team that played today, is essentially that of last year, how have we fallen so far behind them?

We're so powderpuff in both areas, we go into every game knowing we'll conceed at least one and are unlikely to score, however we only spend a short period actually intensly trying to score. When your only trying to score for 10 minutes per game, you're not going too.

Duda is literally the invisible man in what should be such a key area for us.

Dreadul summer window, dreadful winter window, all about beating Man Utd now.

Lets also be honest, its wasnt Farke's Plan B, it was desperation.

Edited by CDMullins

33 minutes ago, Upo said:

but has surpassed expectations and gets to play more than anybody would have expected him to. I rate him as a big success as a signing.

Big old Lolz.

Didn't see the game so can't comment on the efftivness of the changes but it would be tough to claim Farke didn't try to switch things- easrly changes and not just like for like.

One of the reasons I was frustrated we seemed so happy to let Amadou go is it has essentially killed off our ability to try playing with a proper back 3. We've now only got 4 central defenders and one of those hasn't kicked a ball since pre season. To try playing a back 3 would be suicide.

37 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

All this fluffy 'if we'd have scored we'd have been fine' is nonesense, Sheff Utd were in second gear.

Not sure if Max was instructed not to take on their full back, but not once did he attempt to beat Egan or Osborne, his worst perfromance for sometime.

The Sheff Utd team that played today, is essentially that of last year, how have we fallen so far behind them?

We're so powderpuff in both areas, we go into every game knowing we'll conceed at least one and are unlikely to score, however we only spend a short period actually intensly trying to score. When your only trying to score for 10 minutes per game, you're not going too.

I think he was frightened he might get his leg broken for him. I honestly believe their players are capable of doing that without turning a hair.

42 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

This ⬆️