Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Premier League coronavirus talks

Just reported on BBC that the Government is to hold talks on Monday with the Premier League and other sporting bodies to discuss the possibility of holding all matches behind closed doors. May be possible for the Premier League but a friend who does camera work for Sky says there are not enough cameras and cameramen to do the EFL as well. Think he may be wrong as there are cameras at all the games for Quest TV. 

I can't help thinking that the Government ought to be taking some positive action on this and stopping all unnecessary large gatherings. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

Playing closed doors is what they should do right now. They should pre-emptively quarantine the players and their families, and the same for essential staff. Separate staff members into those with contact to players and those with not. Then do that on every club, on every level. All promotions and non-essential gatherings banned. No fan meetings. No travel.

They should use the visibility of premier league to inform the audience about how to disinfect and wash hands, like have some of the players demonstrate the proper techniques pre-game, and do it in all matches. Public announcements could be made that way. Grumpy old men who wouldn't listen to anybody might be convinced if the players do it.

Otherwise I don't see much chances of finishing the season. And once they close it down, it is very unlikely we'd see any games played 2020/2021, and even 2021/2022 first half is in serious jeopardy unless we get a working vaccine by the end of this year, which is basically like winning in lottery.

• Like 1

Anyone seen the hand wash facilities at Carrow road recently? I especially like the hand dryers that overheat instantly

17 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Anyone seen the hand wash facilities at Carrow road recently? I especially like the hand dryers that overheat instantly

Have they stocked up on toilet rolls for 27,000 ?

40 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

The hand washing at Spurs was a joy to behold😂

1 hour ago, The Real Buh said:

The blower type driers are some of the worst potential public health disasters invented. They should not be used. They blow around all the bacteria and viruses that are in people's hands, wrists, stuck on surfaces etc, because people can't be expected to wash their hands like surgeons. And even surgeons don't use blowers.

Single use paper towels or you just walk out and let them dry in the air. Then use hand sanitizer. Preferable don't use public toilets at all.

Now if we wanted to be sure that people washed their hands properly (one third or so men don't was at all), they should spray people's hands with yellow paint going in the toilet that needed soap to remove. If they come out with yellow hands, means the last thing that touched was their d*** or a**. They would be shunned and shamed publically. You'd get up to 100% soap hand wash rate. Would save thousands of lives. Will we do it? Of course not.

2 hours ago, Upo said:

Playing closed doors is what they should do right now. They should pre-emptively quarantine the players and their families, and the same for essential staff. Separate staff members into those with contact to players and those with not. Then do that on every club, on every level. All promotions and non-essential gatherings banned. No fan meetings. No travel.

They should use the visibility of premier league to inform the audience about how to disinfect and wash hands, like have some of the players demonstrate the proper techniques pre-game, and do it in all matches. Public announcements could be made that way. Grumpy old men who wouldn't listen to anybody might be convinced if the players do it.

Otherwise I don't see much chances of finishing the season. And once they close it down, it is very unlikely we'd see any games played 2020/2021, and even 2021/2022 first half is in serious jeopardy unless we get a working vaccine by the end of this year, which is basically like winning in lottery.

Jesus.. you make it sound like Armageddon! 

I think its been blown out of all reasonable proportion. The media's reporting of it is grossly irresponsible, and even if the virus doesn't directly affect us in terms of infection, the consequence of the media circus surrounding it will. 

I miss Brexit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Have they stocked up on toilet rolls for 27,000 ?

Bring your own

2 hours ago, Upo said:

Immediately someone at a Premier League club gets it the season is over.

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Immediately someone at a Premier League club gets it the season is over.

Yep, I see it that way too. Crazy really. The biggest dilemma is whether the season is postponed or cancelled. With a quarter of the season remaining, there is no way the EPL could cancel the season and enforce relegation by confirming final positions as currently stands.  Postponement causes all sorts of scheduling problems, therefore cancellation of this season is probably preferable. My guess is the EPL are praying they can get as close as possible to the end of the season, making cancellation more acceptable, assuming things are a bit more clear cut. No issues with the champions, Liverpool, but relegation is shaping up to be a last day battle between quite a few teams. Big problem!

Interesting and unprecedented times ahead. 

Just now, Il Pirata said:

Yep, I see it that way too. Crazy really. The biggest dilemma is whether the season is postponed or cancelled. With a quarter of the season remaining, there is no way the EPL could cancel the season and enforce relegation by confirming final positions as currently stands.  Postponement causes all sorts of scheduling problems, therefore cancellation of this season is probably preferable. My guess is the EPL are praying they can get as close as possible to the end of the season, making cancellation more acceptable, assuming things are a bit more clear cut. No issues with the champions, Liverpool, but relegation is shaping up to be a last day battle between quite a few teams. Big problem!

Interesting and unprecedented times ahead. 

In Italy it seems accepted that the final table when football stops will be the final table, which is why they've cancelled this week's games in order to play the postponed games from last week to keep everyone on the same games, or as near as damn it.

33 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

I think its been blown out of all reasonable proportion. The media's reporting of it is grossly irresponsible, and even if the virus doesn't directly affect us in terms of infection, the consequence of the media circus surrounding it will. 

I miss Brexit. 

Some of the media surrounding the virus is irresponsible (the EDP yesterday was ridiculous). If it does take hold it will kill a lot of old people. Not nice but for the Government it's preferable to children and young people dying. 

The real impact is economic. If we end up with huge numbers of people off sick the country will grind to a halt. Public services like transport are stretched as it is. Lots of businesses like cinemas, restaurants, pubs etc will go out of business altogether. If it gets into Central London and affects the financial sector the effect on us is huge. The tax generated by that part of the economy keeps the country going. 

As for football and relegation, I'm sure it will say in the rules that if the season isn't completed it will be void. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

If you can't complete the fixtures you can't have a league table. The season has to be nul and void.

36 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

I miss Brexit. 

Like with Brexit people can choose their media and news to fit in with the ultimate authority of their own point of view. 

Cancel the season now!! Liverpool are clearly trying to seal out relegation by throwing matches against our rivals 😡😡😡

1 minute ago, JF said:

Cancel the season now!! Liverpool are clearly trying to seal out relegation by throwing matches against our rivals 😡😡😡

Anything Everton can do Liverpool can do better...

Wouldn't surprise me if a panel is formed to decide the outcome on the un played PL matches.

Imagine the scene: The FA would choose a 'neutral' select few to look at the remaining fixtures and award points on their experience and diligent squad analysis on what may have occurred. This would then decide the final league positions.

That would be us ****ed then.

Who would be on this panel?

11 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Anything Everton can do Liverpool can do better...

I take it back, 2-1 up now! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, East Rider said:

Wouldn't surprise me if a panel is formed to decide the outcome on the un played PL matches.

Imagine the scene: The FA would choose a 'neutral' select few to look at the remaining fixtures and award points on their experience and diligent squad analysis on what may have occurred. This would then decide the final league positions.

That might work for the pools panel but would be fraught with all sorts if legal challenges if relegation was based on it.

23 minutes ago, East Rider said:

Our PUPs would be the obvious choice🙃

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

That might work for the pools panel but would be fraught with all sorts if legal challenges if relegation was based on it.

Legally the Premier league has 2 options 

Play all games behind closed doors 

Season treated as nul and void

As Ricardo says, the EPL can't relegate teams unless the season is complete. They would be sued out of existence. 

I think you'll find that the rule will say something along the lines of 'the bottom 3 teams at completion of the season will be relegated'. 

Historical precedent is the scrapping of football at the start of WW2. 

It seems to me that the constitutional experts on the Brexit thread are also experts on world health matters. 😜

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Legally the Premier league has 2 options 

Play all games behind closed doors 

Season treated as nul and void

As Ricardo says, the EPL can't relegate teams unless the season is complete. They would be sued out of existence. 

I think you'll find that the rule will say something along the lines of 'the bottom 3 teams at completion of the season will be relegated'. 

Historical precedent is the scrapping of football at the start of WW2. 

If any member of a Premier club caught it the entire club would have to Self isolate. Therefore they would not be able to play at all, let alone behind closed doors.

41 minutes ago, East Rider said:

Jon Walters, Alan Brazil and Matt Holland.