Sign in to follow this  
Flying Dutchman

Premier League considers bans on over 70's at matches

So all sport has been suspended in Italy until April 3rd. Hard to see the Italian season being completed now

On 07/03/2020 at 14:16, City 2nd said:

Michael Wynn Jones, Delia’s better half is 79!!

Just for the record Delia was born June 1941 and MWJ September 1941, wouldn’t believe they are both 79 this year would you? 😇

Sport suspended, schools and universities closed, all public gatherings cancelled and even the gyms are closed, which was one of my few forms of escapism. Basically for the next month, I can go out to the supermarket and that's about it.

Expect to see a lot more me of me in the coming weeks...

China likes to present itself in a positive light and woe betide any citizens who criticise. I don't trust anything official out of China, they started this, they should be held to account and suffer retribution in trade and manufacturing. 

The virus has done more to reduce pollution than Greta Thunberg could have hoped to achieve. 

As much as I dislike authoritarian governments curfewing citizens the drive to stay put and isolate puts the world's crazy economic process into sharp relief:

Spend, spend, spend. We'll make money cheap so you can keep buying crap you don't need from multinational companies made in China by people on little or no wages (Uighur prisoners).

Fly here, fly there at a fraction of the cost of the train. 

Have a new car on lease, sorry, only a small deposit allowed, we want to use finance and charge interest. Now the roads are full of chavs in Audis. 

So now we are heading into a recession. The pack of cards is falling as growth slows. But what is 'growth?' Palm oil plantations and the decimation of Borneo? The felling of Siberian forests for oak furniture? The polluting of Indonesia and Indo China? 

Western debt and Eastern labour feeding the multinational companies and now, as historically, a virus is reminding us nature is still in charge. 

Italy is desperate to tackle this virus before the crucial holiday season. 

The issue here is similar, do we wreck the economy or allow some people to die? And in wrecking the economy what is the human cost? No politician dare publicly breath doing anything but all it can to avoid any death and that is the same barrel the NHS is bent over. It's a dilemma. 

Getting back to football, the idea of playing games behind closed doors is fine until a player and by association a squad contract and isolate. Then the games themselves are off. 

In the event of player contagion the season will have to be at least extended into the Summer to complete it. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Sport suspended, schools and universities closed, all public gatherings cancelled and even the gyms are closed, which was one of my few forms of escapism. Basically for the next month, I can go out to the supermarket and that's about it.

My son is on a Super Yacht in Livorno, told yesterday that they confined to ship for the next week at least. The situation in Italy is  now extremely  serious.  Best wishes to all that are there. 

7 hours ago, Ramrod said:

Getting back to football, the idea of playing games behind closed doors is fine until a player and by association a squad contract and isolate. Then the games themselves are off. 

In the event of player contagion the season will have to be at least extended into the Summer to complete it. 

According to the authorities it won't peak for 6 to 8 weeks and the another 6 to 8 weeks slow down. That means it will run into next season.

I don't see how this season can complete nor next season starting on time. Its not going to happen.

I am disturbed that the harm done to the economy is becoming the main talking point. People are quite dismissive of human beings. "Oh well, millions die every year from Flu anyway". But it becomes "Oh no, my pension fund is having millions wiped off it".

We have been abusing nature and the planet for a long time now and the repercussions are not pleasant. We are becoming more of an I'm alright Jack society and the reaction of hoarders at the moment typifies that approach. No doubt there will be a black market for antibac soon. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

I am disturbed that the harm done to the economy is becoming the main talking point. People are quite dismissive of human beings. "Oh well, millions die every year from Flu anyway". But it becomes "Oh no, my pension fund is having millions wiped off it".

We have been abusing nature and the planet for a long time now and the repercussions are not pleasant. We are becoming more of an I'm alright Jack society and the reaction of hoarders at the moment typifies that approach. No doubt there will be a black market for antibac soon. 

The attitude you refer to was born in the UK in the 1980`s.  We bred a generation of people who believe that there is no such thing as society and we saw people who already thought like that come crawling out of the woodwork. We haven't recovered as a society or a country since 

• Like 1

I can't help but wonder how the initial outbreak of Aids in the early 1980's would have been reported and reacted to if we had social media and 24hour news? 

We have managed to prolong life irrespective of the quality of it. We want the state to care for all our elderly but it is not a financially sustainable system.

We retired pay no NI or PAYE but use public services heavily. 

As a society we need to support and encourage young families. Selfish older people for example have been happy to rinse them through 'buy to let' via their pension pots so the home base and security has been ruined leading to fewer families. This demographic and their children are where our priorities should lay. 

We also ABSOLUTELY have to ensure schools stay open and exams take place on schedule. This is a vital time for our young people. 

The retired and elderly do have a huge amount to contribute though and imaginative government could and should make greater use of them and not just for free. 

We cannot trash the economy and people's work or education despite the fact vulnerable people are at risk. And the older generation, usually far more stoic than others, are frankly, just getting on with things as far as I can see.  They will be outraged to be banned from football stadia, if concerned they can exercise choice but most will choose to take the chance. 

But no politician will risk 'triage' statements, we live in a rediculous age where emoting is the norm. The age where a celebrity dies and people gush ou their personal devastation on social media, not for the deceased but for 'themselves.' Look at me, aren't I virtuous? '

We all die, but in the West we have become inured to risk. 

Travel to other countries and see how fragile life really is. We are in the safe places but are the most insured against risk. 

So, yes we do care for family, neighbours and friends but collectively society has to come first and that means the economy. 

If we were that concerned about personal risk we wouldn't drive, cycle, smoke, drink, take drugs etc etc. This should ultimately come down to personal choice and responsibility, managing risks because in life none of us get out alive. 

On 09/03/2020 at 21:10, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I knew you based your match ratings on the Italian rating systems but hadn’t realised you were actually in Italy! Probably me being a bit slow there...

I can’t see measures as bad as that being brought in over here in the Uk, even if things get a lot worse than they are now. Possibly big gatherings such as footy matches called off/ behind closed doors but I can’t see them shutting shops and gyms etc (although gyms are probably riddled with viruses and bacteria and all sorts)...

It must be hell in Rome and Naples at the moment for all those pickpockets who rely on tourism. 

And think about all those restaurants trying to convince the government their income is down but without any evidence because of the historically persistent failure of card payment machines that drove them to cash only. 

Edited by Ramrod

On 10/03/2020 at 09:51, keelansgrandad said:

But it's not just pension funds. If you destroy the economy there's no money to buy food & no food on the shelves anyway.

There has to be a balance, & some people seem to think the economy is some sort of academic frippery which is disconnected from everyday life. It's not, & we all experience it in terms of making a living.

Damaging the economy will cause fatalities as surely as the virus will. It's how to assess the relative risks that is difficult but necessary.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aggy said:

I can’t see measures as bad as that being brought in over here in the Uk, even if things get a lot worse than they are now. Possibly big gatherings such as footy matches called off/ behind closed doors but I can’t see them shutting shops and gyms etc (although gyms are probably riddled with viruses and bacteria and all sorts)...

A month ago, maybe even a fortnight, I could never have imagined in my wildest dreams that it would happen here. But here we are...

2 hours ago, Ramrod said:

And think about all those restaurants trying to convince the government their income is down but without any evidence because of the historically persistent process of putting the cash in their pockets and not giving receipts to avoid paying tax.

Fixed that for you.

• Haha 1