Sign in to follow this  
Flying Dutchman

Premier League considers bans on over 70's at matches

12 minutes ago, Upo said:

Wow you really are convinced this is some sort of conspiracy. In my experience conspiracy people are impossible to convince. They have made up their minds and will not change it. Therefore I won't waste any time spelling this out for you. (Hint: you can look at the covid-19 columns and see that all over 60 years are 5 to 20 times higher. Also if you look carefully, you will see there is a number attacked to each column. .2 for example means 0,2%. Which is 10 times higher than .02. You'll figure out the rest.)

You do realise that most have died of other underlying issues which the virus has only accounted for 0.9% of deaths without any other health issues in all ages......

Edited by Indy

Just now, Mello Yello said:

Logan's Run.....

I haven’t seen that in years.

I’m weighing it all up. Governments around the world taking unprecedented action to try and contain the threat of this virus. Schools/Universities closed, sporting events cancelled, economy’s damaged, nearly 60.000 prisoners released in Iran to try to control it. The Who driving home the seriousness of this weekly. All of that suggests that this is a real problem that we should take very seriously.
On the other hand there’s a few posters on the pink un forum telling us it’s a storm in a tea cup. I’m really torn who to believe....

Edited by JF
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Indy said:

I haven’t seen that in years.

In years? You'll be top of the old fogey euthanise and eradicate list..... 😉 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, JF said:

I’m weighing it all up. Governments around the world taking unprecedented action to try and contain the threat of this virus. Schools/Universities closed, sporting events cancelled, economy’s damaged, nearly 60.000 prisoners released in Iran to try to control it. The Who driving home the seriousness of this weekly. All of that suggests that this is a real problem that we should take very seriously.
On the other hand there’s a few posters on the pink un forum telling us it’s a storm in a tea cup. I’m really torn who to believe....

In two weeks time it will become self evident.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JF said:

Governments around the world take unprecedented action. Ours tells us to wash our hands. 

15 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Whoever made that clearly has an agenda. What's the death rate for those 80+ from regular flu, for example? Is there a reason why they left the threshold for regular flu so low, but sub-divided the older age groups in the coronavirus chart to leave a sea of red?

Wacky, on second thought this question is actually very good. Apologies for rushing to conclusions previously. (Hope no lasting bad feelings.)

The death rate for those over 80 is certainly more than for those younger. That is the case for a normal seasonal flu, just like it is for Covid-19. If you look at the columns, it is easy to miss the decimal places, because the colums are very low. That chart is actually not very good for that reason. But if you look at the numbers, they tell you the same consistent story: That at any age bracket the mortality rate is about 10 times higher for Covid-19 than for seasonal flu.

If you want to find out what the death rate for over 65 year olds is for Covid-19, you need to do a bit of calculations yourself and take a few educated guesses:

First, you would need to know how many people are behind the mortality figures for the Covid-19 for all over 65 year olds. Then divide the total deaths in that group with all the infected in that group. It would probably involve quite a bit of investigating, which is why in this case when we are dealing with a magnitude  (around 10x) difference between mortality rates, you can pretty much just deduce that the mortality rate for 65+ in covid-19 is at the very least higher than it is for the 60 to 69 bracket, because the mortality is consistently higher for older individuals. So I'll take an educational guess and state that over 65 year olds Covid-19 mortality is significantly higher than 60-65 year olds covid-19 mortality, certainly above 5% and probably closer to if not over 10%.

Normally we can be somewhat sceptical of things that we see. You're right that not everything that is available comes without an agenda. That agenda may not always be malicious! Sometimes you are given information to reassure you, or perhaps even slightly scare you in order to drive the point home. The statistics shown in this chart don't seem to carry that kind of baggage however. It just simply states that Covid-19 is much more dangerous than a normal seasonal flu.

As for me, I don't financially benefit from any of this. I am not asking you to sell your stocks and buy bitcoin or anything. I recommend heeding to official information, like the ready.gov/pandemic advice about being prepared for 2 weeks, and wash your hands carefully.

I give you links to sources, so you don't think I'm the authority here. I'm not. My rhetoric is sharp and I don't really hedge my calls, because it's the internet and "may or may not be" approach demands a lengthy conversation around complex topics. Time is something we do not have in abundance.

And because the cost of being ahead of the situation in both practical preparedness and psychological mindset is roughly £150 and maybe slight heartburn, you can be comforted that the downside is very limited for anyone following the advice. While not following the advice could make you somebody else's problem down the line. That is what I'm trying to prevent here.

What do people want......Martial Law imposed, curfews etc, etc?......Personally, I'll just take every day that comes and practice good personal hygiene and live my life as comfortable as I can and act and behave in consideration for others......

1 hour ago, Mello Yello said:

What do people want......

The Premier League season anulled😉

2 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

In years? You'll be top of the old fogey euthanise and eradicate list..... 😉 

I think the extermination age was 45 wasn’t it? If that’s right I’d be gone years ago!

16 minutes ago, Indy said:

I think the extermination age was 45 wasn’t it? If that’s right I’d be gone years ago!

That would be a problem for the binners "Glory Boys".....

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

That would be a problem for the binners "Glory Boys".....

Glory days, even Oxford have won the FA cup back in their glory days and the milk cup more recent.

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

I expect we are getting very close to football being over for the season.

In Italy they're deciding tomorrow. It looks like football will be suspended until the beginning of April initially, and then a decision will be made on what to do next further down the line.

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

In Italy they're deciding tomorrow. It looks like football will be suspended until the beginning of April initially, and then a decision will be made on what to do next further down the line.

Sadly far behind the curve as is the UK.

9 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Sadly far behind the curve as is the UK.

I was about to post about this. I completely agree. Italian commentators have sent very strong messages about other countries acting NOW and to prepare very thoroughly including larger size meetings / civic gatherings. I feel that the UK government's position after today's Cobra meeting is far too passive. Is not the trajectory of this outbreak of immense concern? If they bring in more public safety/Draconian (you choose your word) measures now, the Johnson government would be looked at very favourably if they demonstrate later to have protected public health and the strain on the NHS when new case numbers drop and we avoid a northern Italy scenario (complete panic). This simple poster on a football forum doesn't understand this!....and I realise there are a few on here who believe the whole thing is an over-reaction. I find it deeply worrying. And Ricardo, you are correct in saying folk are behind the curve. Why cannot folk be one step ahead though? To plan, prepare and be responsible. I suppose it's all about money and the economy. 

Government's can print money to temporarily help the economy. It can't print its way out of a pandemic.

Little things....but why not screen people arriving from Italy? A simple thing but we're leaving it to folk to self-manage .... entirely!

Think this is a really interesting article. Sharing for anyone who has an interest. Given that the outbreak started towards the end of December, it means within 10 weeks, rates of infection have plummeted. Lessons for the UK?

How did China get to grips with its coronavirus outbreak?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/09/how-did-china-get-grips-with-coronavirus-outbreak?

Professional sport and sports people will be concerned that their livelihoods may be threatened. But in the same way as technology or lack of money can also harm people's income, sport cannot plead exceptional circumstances. It is a place where many people congregate. Not only attending but travelling, visiting pubs and cafes.

And while this virus may not be ad deadly as others, it is spreading and causing concern. For those who think it is over the top, many governments disagree with you.

Prevention may be a bit late now but we should be aware that our way of life may well be altered and disturbed for a month or so.

12 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Professional sport and sports people will be concerned that their livelihoods may be threatened. But in the same way as technology or lack of money can also harm people's income, sport cannot plead exceptional circumstances. It is a place where many people congregate. Not only attending but travelling, visiting pubs and cafes.

And while this virus may not be ad deadly as others, it is spreading and causing concern. For those who think it is over the top, many governments disagree with you.

Prevention may be a bit late now but we should be aware that our way of life may well be altered and disturbed for a month or so.

Or possibly years to come trying to recover the global economy, will those nations who are hostile use any potential advantage to take control? It’s going to be an uncertain few months which could lead to a big depression as a 100 years ago, we know where that lead to.

Virus is a danger but global instability could be far more deadly, hopefully the government’s will work together not against each other like today’s oil crises battle, not needed in this time......

I was listening to Rory Stewart on the radio earlier today. He was working in an official capacity in the Congo when they had to deal with Ebola. The lesson he learned was to act immediately not to dither. 

We have a hugely intelligent politician available who speaks 13 languages and has first hand experience of dealing with an epidemic. Surely the sensible thing to do is to cancel the London Mayor election and ask him to help? Obviously that would involve Boris saying sorry for sacking him so it's unlikely to happen. 

Seems the government are content to let it ride and see what happens. Other countries are now closing the doors on sporting events and in some cases postponement, and I’m very surprised we haven’t followed suit. From what we have seen from this, it escalates incredibly quickly and very seriously. I’ve a feeling that in a few weeks time when it’s too late, all the talk will be about what should have been done now.

He would have got Brownie points for acting quickly although there may have been a few grumbles. Now when the inevitable happens it will look like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

i also think it will be days rather than weeks JF.

Edited by ricardo

26 minutes ago, JF said:

Seems the government are content to let it ride and see what happens. Other countries are now closing the doors on sporting events and in some cases postponement, and I’m very surprised we haven’t followed suit. From what we have seen from this, it escalates incredibly quickly and very seriously. I’ve a feeling that in a few weeks time when it’s too late, all the talk will be about what should have been done now.

Yes, spot on. This is crass incompetence or even negligence in my view. Are we not watching what is going on observing what works and what doesn't? Just when do you start to say there is a problem? Even the government have today stated there is a serious and significant spread expected!

Just when do you start to say there is a problem?

Depends who says it. If you are a young Scandinavian you are ridiculed in many circumstances whereas David Attenborough gets Government time.

Just the same with this virus. People who see it as a threat not only to health but to commerce and want action are over the top but wait for Boris to say something that is more positive and less of a compromise.

• Like 1