Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Norwich FA Cup history

Older posters will know that the 1959 Cup run included victories against Spurs (after drawing 1-1 away) and Man Utd at home. We also beat Sheffield United in that run and they are in the last 8.

24 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Older posters will know that the 1959 Cup run included victories against Spurs (after drawing 1-1 away) and Man Utd at home. We also beat Sheffield United in that run and they are in the last 8.

I remember one time having a long car journey with a guy who'd been to all the games in the 59 cup run, it was just amazing to hear about, feels to me like that was a key stage in the development of the club ?  Well before my time though :classic_laugh:

I had a friend, who is no longer with us, who went to all the games. He told a story of days gone by. 

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

That run got us closer to the final than any other club from outside the top two divisions, before or since.

13 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

That run got us closer to the final than any other club from outside the top two divisions, before or since.

Pedant alert - Plymouth in season 1983/84 and Wycombe in season 2000/01 both reached the FA Cup semi-finals as 3rd division clubs. (That's the 3rd division in old money). 

4 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Pedant alert - Plymouth in season 1983/84 and Wycombe in season 2000/01 both reached the FA Cup semi-finals as 3rd division clubs. (That's the 3rd division in old money). 

And so did Chesterfield in 1996/97. 

Didn't Spurs win it whilst non-league about 1000 years ago? I have not actually checked this, but my Spurs supporting colleague told me as some kind of consolation (to himself) after we beat them...

When we got to the semi in 1959 the bottom 2 divisions were merged into Division 3 North and Division 3 South. 

At that time we were the only bottom division team to reach the semi finals and as no 4th division team has done it we still hold the record 

Edit - corrected by Ricardo below

Edited by dylanisabaddog

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

To be clear, I am talking about the modern era, once the Old Etonians etc quit the scene, and by closer I mean mathematically closer, in that we got to a semi-final reply and lost by one goal, whereas those others who got to a reply lost by more.

This may seem nerdy but I notice there is another poster now who claims the title of nerdiest statsman, and I thought I would demonstrate just how high is the level of nerdyness necessary to back that up...🤓

Edited by PurpleCanary

2 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

And so did Chesterfield in 1996/97. 

As did Sheffield United losing 5_3 to hull

19 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

When we got to the semi in 1959 the bottom 2 divisions were merged into Division 3 North and Division 3 South. 

At that time we were the only bottom division team to reach the semi finals and as no 4th division team has done it we still hold the record 

No mate, the third north and south finished 1957/58. When the top half of each formed division three and the bottom half division four. The cup run season 58/59 was the initial season of divisions three and four.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ricardo said:

No mate, the third north and south finished 1957/58. When the top half of each formed division three and the bottom half division four. The cup run season 58/59 was the initial season of divisions three and four.

Yes, we had finished rock-bottom of Division 3 South in the 1956-57 season and had to be re-elected, which was generally a formality in those days but hauled ourselves up to finish in the top half of the table, in 8th place, the season after, so went into Div. 3 rather than Div. 4 for the 1958-59 season.

51 minutes ago, Gazza kay said:

As did Sheffield United losing 5_3 to hull

🙂 Good point. In my defence I'm an old sod and I can remember things that happened a long time ago, but I haven't got a clue about recent events. Any question about music in the 21st Century on Popmaster has me totally stumped. 

• Haha 1

I was rather surprised ahead of the start on Wednesday to read in the programme that spurs had only beaten  us once in the FA Cup. I think it was by 2-0 and was the most recent time we drew them. Other than that we had triumphed in three possibly four ties, two after a replay, one being in 1959, if my memory serves me correctly. 

6 hours ago, ricardo said:

I stand corrected💛💚

• Thanks 1