Thirsty Lizard

Team for Sheffield United

Coming so soon after the physically draining heroics of last night this is going to be one hell of a difficult game. Hopefully the feel good factor and momentum of two excellent wins on the bounce will counteract this.

Good thing about last night was the Pukki and Duda had the night off and that Tettey and McLean weren't on the pitch for too long. On the down side it looks as though Emi might be injured again and Godfrey and Hanley were both limping on occasions during extra time. 

Assuming all fit I'd go.

Krul

Aarons -  Hanley -  Godfrey - Lewis

McLean - Tettey

Buendia - Duda - Cantwell 

Pukki 

(Rupp in for Buendia if Emi not fit)

• Like 1

If Rupp starts, someone needs to make it clear to him that it's ok to have a shot when you're in a good position.

I think this lineup works. If we're not in the lead already I'd like to see Drmic coming off the bench earlier than previous matches, and not necessarily in place of Pukki, but as well as.

I'm concerned about Aarons as I think he was playing with a knock for the last few minutes. 

25 minutes ago, Canarywary said:

If Rupp starts, someone needs to make it clear to him that it's ok to have a shot when you're in a good position.

I think this lineup works. If we're not in the lead already I'd like to see Drmic coming off the bench earlier than previous matches, and not necessarily in place of Pukki, but as well as.

Rupp did shoot on multiple occasions but were just at the keeper. Should of really been on the scoresheet.

26 minutes ago, Canarywary said:

Rupp should never start for us in this league ever again. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, lincsy88 said:

Rupp should never start for us in this league ever again. 

A bit OTT

1 minute ago, jaberry2 said:

A bit OTT

He offers nothing for me, doesn't posses the skill or creativity to be an attacking midfielder, he isn't better then Tettey, Vrancic, Mclean or Trybull to get into the midfield two so for me would be a benchwarmer. 

He needs a chance, but I cannot for the life of me understand the signing.

He is 29. Does not have a very distinguished career, especially of late and will need time to settle in any case.

Now he's a Premier League player.The mind boggles.

Farke must see something there, but I can't (yet.)

Edited by BroadstairsR

2 minutes ago, lincsy88 said:

He offers nothing for me, doesn't posses the skill or creativity to be an attacking midfielder, he isn't better then Tettey, Vrancic, Mclean or Trybull to get into the midfield two so for me would be a benchwarmer. 

I think the problem with Rupp is he's been thrust into the first team XI with little settling in period and Farke has expected a lot from him. Will judge him properly after the summer and the new season. He essentially a utility player, with Farke playing him in numerous positions. You wont see the best of him until he's played a fair few games in one position, but I hear what your saying.

• Like 2

Just now, BroadstairsR said:

He needs a chance, but I cannot for the life of me understand the signing.

He is 29. Does not have a very distinguished career, especially of late and will need time to settle in any case.

Farke must see something there, but I can't (yet.)

Agree with this 100%. 

6 minutes ago, lincsy88 said:

Shame Hernadez is injured as would prefer to see him on the wing rather than Rupp. I certainly dont see Rupp as a winger and as a number 10 I think we have better options available to us.

Edited by jaberry2
  • Like 1

Just now, jaberry2 said:

I think the problem with Rupp is he's been thrust into the first team XI with little settling in period and Farke has expected a lot from him. Will judge him properly after the summer and the new season. He essentially a utility player, with Farke playing him in numerous positions. You wont see the best of him until he's played a fair few games in one position, but I hear what your saying.

I think for me as well, he has had the unfortunate job of replacing Buendia who I for one am a massive advocate for and believe should play every minute so that has slightly clouded my judgement. Was probably a bit OTT to say he should never play again and like you say hopefully after a pre-season we will see him flourish. 

1 minute ago, jaberry2 said:

Shame Hernadez is injured as would prefer to see him on the wing rather than Rupp. I certainly dont see Rupp as a winger and as a number 10 I think we have better options available to us.

Nice to see someone on here have a nice discussion about football and not jump on someones back for a difference of opinion 🙂

• Like 1

Reserving judgement. Thinking back to what happened with Stiepermann and Vrancic and am holding out hope for a similar outcome.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Reserving judgement. Thinking back to what happened with Stiepermann and Vrancic and am holding out hope for a similar outcome.

I was going to make the same point. 👍

5 minutes ago, lincsy88 said:

Nice to see someone on here have a nice discussion about football and not jump on someones back for a difference of opinion 🙂

Certainly been a difficult season and for me there's been too much of an emphasis on the existing promotion squad being capable to make the step up. Webber & Co have been great at finding cheap additions at Champ level, but 99% of the players brought on board haven't been good enough - Amadou/Roberts etc and have failed to add anything to the first team XI which has then led to people looking (rightfully) at changes and calling for other players to start etc. I do think we should of invested more and given ourselves a better chance at staying up, but I wont criticize what they've done as I think for many a year we have the most competent management I've seen during my time supporting the club. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lincsy88 said:

He was better than both Vrancic and Trybull in the first half, yet he was the one getting stick.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Norfolk Dan said:

Are we all in agreement that TL team at the start of this thread is our best 11 for sat? 

I doubt it - Lakey hasn't turned up on this thread yet with his latest .... ahem...... innovative.....  option for left midfield 😉 

3 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I doubt it - Lakey hasn't turned up on this thread yet with his latest .... ahem...... innovative.....  option for left midfield 😉 

He was right about Idah, though, to be fair!

Come along now, Lakey... we're all dying to see how you can leave out Todd and Emi... 😉

11 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Assuming all fit I'd go.

Krul

Aarons -  Hanley -  Godfrey - Lewis

McLean - Tettey

Buendia - Duda - Cantwell 

Pukki 

(Rupp in for Buendia if Emi not fit)

I'd pretty much agree with this, although I'd still play Vrancic over McLean as I think his through balls and creativity provide much better supply for the front line (especially Pukki), leaving Tettey to focus on the simple clean up work.

If it's not working, we can then bring McLean on for a different approach.

I'm also tempted to give Steipi another chance later on if Duda is tiring.

6 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

He was right about Idah, though, to be fair!

Come along now, Lakey... we're all dying to see how you can leave out Todd and Emi... 😉

Yes, Idah did a decent job there when he came on Wednesday night.

LDC's potential XI:

Mair

Rupp  Hanley Tettey Godfrey Lewis

Vrancic

Delia         Stiepermann           Idah

Farke

😉

Oi! I can talk for myself!

I think we are seeing certain players coming of age now - Cantwell's penalty and improved effectiveness over the last couple of games has dispelled some doubts imo and Emi on this form should be in. Idah did well too - the maturity is there.

So -

Krul

Aarons Godfrey Hanley Lewis

Tettey Maclean

Emi      Duda   Cantwell

Pukki

Definitely think Vrancic and Idah should get some minutes, especially later in the game when there will be more spaces for them to exploit.

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 5

Can't argue with that LDC. Just hope Daniel brings on his subs a bit earlier - there are going to be some knackered players out there after Wednesday's heroics.

32 minutes ago, hogesar said:

He was better than both Vrancic and Trybull in the first half, yet he was the one getting stick.

Cant say I agree with that to be honest and he is asked to do a much different job certainly to Trybull and both of those players you can give a little slack for being rusty. Rupp has been playing of late, his problem being he is not an attacking midfielder and not as good of a number 10 as Duda and Steipermann. 

I was one screaming for Mario to be included but have to say he didn't impress on Wednesday and we looked far better when Kenny came on.

Duda doesn't impress me too much on the halfway line but against Leicester, he was prepared to shoot. And that is something we haven't done since Marco in the Championship last year.

I would give him one more go there so pretty much agree with the OP. Todd looked out of it during ET on Wednesday and appeared kernackered. I hope he has recovered OK.

Right - that's it - this forum is officially dead!!

With the exception of Indy_Bones lukewarm preference for Vrancic over McLean it would appear that for the first time in history there is 100% agreement on the team we should pick for Saturday.

We're all a bunch of Stepford Wives style clones who nod along in agreement with each other without a hint of dissension or debate!! 😉 

(P.S - none of the above is true and if we lose on Saturday we can all go back to arguing and tearing bits off each other 😂). 

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I was one screaming for Mario to be included but have to say he didn't impress on Wednesday and we looked far better when Kenny came on.

Yes, me too - it was the least he deserved after his one man running the show job he did away at Burnley.  You have to feel for him a bit, he didn't have a full pre-season and hasn't had as many minutes as we/he thought he might - so to play at his best coming in against a team like Tottenham was a big ask.  He did have some very good moments and his free kick was very close and it was disappointing to see him subbed.

Still think he will have a say this season though - he didn't play every week last season, yet still had a huge part in getting us over the line with his free kicks/goals and assists in the last few matches.  That quality is still in there - just hope we get to see it as the season progresses.