Sign in to follow this  
Alan Johnson

Chris Kamara on Norwich and Worthington.....

What do you all think of the following question from a Norwich fan and Kammys subsequent answer?

Hi Chris, I''m a season ticket holder at Norwich and have read your column and seen you write positive thinks about City. However, after you witnessed the abysmal performance at Reading first hand for Sky, can you still say that Nigel Worthington is doing a good job? Darren, Norwich.

KAMMY SAYS: For 30 minutes the performance from Reading was the best I have seen from a Championship side ever. Being 2-0 down after half an hour, I didn''t put anything down to Norwich, but down to the quality, passing and movement of Reading. But in the 15 minutes before half-time I take your point. Norwich didn''t get into Reading as you would have wanted them to, but it could just have been that they were demoralised and were hoping for half-time to come - I have been there and it can be hard to get back into a game. They did show a response in the second-half but then conceded two goals and it was over. Write that one off Darren, Reading were at their best.

Stick with Worthington, the play-offs are there for the taking. He has just spent £3.5m so there is no point removing him now. Norwich is a faithful club, Delia and the board want stability. A problem for relegated clubs is that the fans enjoy their Premiership season but then don''t like it when they are struggling in a league below. But look at Sunderland, they are not even enjoying their year in the top flight, at least Norwich took it to the last day of the season rather than February. This scenario of teams dropping down and struggling will happen again many times. You still have an outside chance of the play-offs and if you do not get there, give him the first dozen games of next season to see if his new side gels

Personally.....and i do not post on here that often.....is that he must go but we must also give these new players a chance.....he (NW) as a tactition is useless and as many people have said we have won 18 out the last 69 games or so......because he has lost the plot with who plays where and dose what in the game it makes us a very bad team....his comments about Green and players on the post and his goal kicks is a sham......NW is the manger and he should tell Green wot to do and not let him decide for himself.....if every player made his own decisions then whats the point in having a manager?

Injuries have not helped but neither has the rubbish that he has brought in since we were relegated.

IMO to many excuses and not enough action...deadline day transfers show it all.

I hope we can beat the **** on Sunday (actually thrash them!) but i can see us at the end of another defeat or a draw at best....and if this happens then..well....OUT i say.

Good Luck City on Sunday.....because we need it.

[quote user="Alan Johnson"]

What do you all think of the following question from a Norwich fan and Kammys subsequent answer?

''Hi Chris, I''m a season ticket holder at Norwich and have read your column and seen you write positive thinks about City. However, after you witnessed the abysmal performance at Reading first hand for Sky, can you still say that Nigel Worthington is doing a good job? Darren, Norwich.

KAMMY SAYS: For 30 minutes the performance from Reading was the best I have seen from a Championship side ever. Being 2-0 down after half an hour, I didn''t put anything down to Norwich, but down to the quality, passing and movement of Reading. But in the 15 minutes before half-time I take your point. Norwich didn''t get into Reading as you would have wanted them to, but it could just have been that they were demoralised and were hoping for half-time to come - I have been there and it can be hard to get back into a game. They did show a response in the second-half but then conceded two goals and it was over. Write that one off Darren, Reading were at their best.

Stick with Worthington, the play-offs are there for the taking. He has just spent £3.5m so there is no point removing him now. Norwich is a faithful club, Delia and the board want stability. A problem for relegated clubs is that the fans enjoy their Premiership season but then don''t like it when they are struggling in a league below. But look at Sunderland, they are not even enjoying their year in the top flight, at least Norwich took it to the last day of the season rather than February. This scenario of teams dropping down and struggling will happen again many times. You still have an outside chance of the play-offs and if you do not get there, give him the first dozen games of next season to see if his new side gels''

Personally.....and i do not post on here that often.....is that he must go but we must also give these new players a chance.....he (NW) as a tactition is useless and as many people have said we have won 18 out the last 69 games or so......because he has lost the plot with who plays where and dose what in the game it makes us a very bad team....his comments about Green and players on the post and his goal kicks is a sham......NW is the manger and he should tell Green wot to do and not let him decide for himself.....if every player made his own decisions then whats the point in having a manager?

Injuries have not helped but neither has the rubbish that he has brought in since we were relegated.

I hope we can beat the **** on Sunday (actually thrash them!) but i can see us at the end of another defeat or a draw at best....and if this happens then..well....OUT i say.

[/quote]

Its nice to read a statement from a football person about NW, unfortunately I''m sure the WO''s will decide that Kammy is part of the conspiricy.

[quote user="A load of squit"][quote user="Alan Johnson"]

''Hi Chris, I''m a season ticket holder at Norwich and have read your column and seen you write positive thinks about City. However, after you witnessed the abysmal performance at Reading first hand for Sky, can you still say that Nigel Worthington is doing a good job? Darren, Norwich.

Stick with Worthington, the play-offs are there for the taking. He has just spent £3.5m so there is no point removing him now. Norwich is a faithful club, Delia and the board want stability. A problem for relegated clubs is that the fans enjoy their Premiership season but then don''t like it when they are struggling in a league below. But look at Sunderland, they are not even enjoying their year in the top flight, at least Norwich took it to the last day of the season rather than February. This scenario of teams dropping down and struggling will happen again many times. You still have an outside chance of the play-offs and if you do not get there, give him the first dozen games of next season to see if his new side gels''

[/quote]

Its nice to read a statement from a football person about NW, unfortunately I''m sure the WO''s will decide that Kammy is part of the conspiricy.

[/quote]blah blah blah, squits off again. just to mention that kammy was correct - reading were very good, but what about all the other teams that have beat us this season!worthy out

Is it acceptable to perform so poorly even against a better team?  Reading did play well, full of confidence using the width of the park and would probably have won even if we played well - however that does not forgive the poor passing, movement or committment from the side - you can be thrashed and play well and we did not do that - again.

Nearly a quarter of of games have been a no show from the team - is that good enough?   Its the performance not the results that is the issue.  Unlike the inference from Kammy it was not a one off - we can all forgive  a one off aberration; to have some many so quickly is where I have a problem. 

imo, we were so dire, we made reading look so good kamara''s interpretation of their performance went off the bs/gushing praise scale,

depending on your point of view.another 4 goals conceded away from home, even against the league leaders is unacceptable. watford and luton are decent but even they had the guile to see us off park by half time, playing for pride only.  as i said after the reading game, how many teams did we put 4 past when we won the champs?playing 4-3-3 without the right personnel i.e safri in the middle role, has seen us draw blanks since he went off to the anc.  any fool could have anticipated this, because i did.  why did worthy even bother with the 4-3-3 without safs in the team? it was embarrassingly 1 sided against preston when used and also the same against reading.

[quote user="A load of squit"]

Interesting that none of you have discussed the second paragraph, which I think sums things up perfectly.

[/quote]

whats there to discuss - kams gave his opinion and he''s entitled to it - personally i disagree with him?

"Stick with Worthington, the play-offs are there for the taking. He has just spent £3.5m so there is no point removing him now. Norwich is a faithful club, Delia and the board want stability. A problem for relegated clubs is that the fans enjoy their Premiership season but then don''t like it when they are struggling in a league below. But look at Sunderland, they are not even enjoying their year in the top flight, at least Norwich took it to the last day of the season rather than February. This scenario of teams dropping down and struggling will happen again many times. You still have an outside chance of the play-offs and if you do not get there, give him the first dozen games of next season to see if his new side gels"

there is NO chance of the play-offs.

last season at this time we were WELL bottom looking like a total embarrasment. we were lucky we beat a few teams at the end of the season with nothing to play for (newcastle, birmingham, charlton) and that it was the easiest premiership season to stay up in ever.

also chris kamara doesnt get to see what we see each week... embarrasing hoofball.

I agree with Kammy''s opinion in theory, but he doesn''t have to watch every game and thankfully at the moment, neither do I.

The facts remain, Squit, that we were in a VERY strong position financially when we came down, and our squad was littered with quality - Safri, Drury, Green, Doherty, Ashton, Hucks and McVeigh.

With the right purchases we would be up there too, and even a squad of average players can be turned into a good team with organisation, tactical ability and coaching. Nigel did it in 2001, but why is he so far away at the moment?

I think he''s bloody lazy, because he knows he''s got a job for life or a FAT payout.

Yes we all know delia is loyal and wants stability; we know the board is stiking by its man which is why he got £3.5m to spend;  the play offs there for the taking - not by city, too far off with too many poor performances and too many teams between us and them - we have no momentum which palace and sunderland had by now;  unreasonable expectation - yes probably but that been accepted early on and I nailed my preditions for playoffs not auto promotion.

If we had been beaten by teams raising their games to beat the prem old boys and we performed well in defeat then there would not bethe unrest there is;  we have consistently performed poor or not shown up at all and been beaten by mediocre sides and now the manager expects us to take month of no wins, 1 draw and 4 defeats as average?

[quote user="A load of squit"]

Interesting that none of you have discussed the second paragraph, which I think sums things up perfectly.

[/quote] Squit, I have three questions I would like you to answer;

Firstly, now that the gap is 13 points to 6th place, do you honestly believe that with 15 games left Worthy is suddenly going to change his tactics and we will overhaul the teams in front of us?

Secondly, do you seriously believe that the likes of Safri and Earnshaw are still going to be here next season?

Ashton was supposedly our great saviour and would score the goals to get us back up, Worthy destroyed a great talent by not playing to his strengths, and in effect forced him to request a move.

Finally, I am all for sticking to my own opinions, but I would like to ask you what other tactics does Worthy use other than the big hoof or get the ball out to Huckerby, because I must be missing them.

OK, as I known for my good manners here goes,

Firstly, now that the gap is 13 points to 6th place, do you honestly believe that with 15 games left Worthy is suddenly going to change his tactics and we will overhaul the teams in front of us?

I''m in the ''footballs a funny old game'' camp, anything could happen, so why not.

Secondly, do you seriously believe that the likes of Safri and Earnshaw are still going to be here next season?

Yes, don''t see any reason why they won''t be.

Ashton was supposedly our great saviour and would score the goals to get us back up, Worthy destroyed a great talent by not playing to his strengths, and in effect forced him to request a move.

Why do you believe he was destroyed, former mentor Dario Gradi said he was playing better than ever, Pardew was prepared to pay double what we paid for him, and he scored yesterday.

Finally, I am all for sticking to my own opinions, but I would like to ask you what other tactics does Worthy use other than the big hoof or get the ball out to Huckerby, because I must be missing them.

I agree that the team has been playing badly but they have also played well (admittedly more of the former than the latter) theres no reason why they can''t put a run together. Maybe if all the fans were more positive it would rub off on the players, I''m afraid that CR is getting the same reputation as Molyneux (apologies if its spelt incorrectly) and I think we''re better than thier fans.

May be going off subject a bit , but .... how about Kamara  as the next manager  ?    I like his style !!     he`s up there in the " Psycho "  region  ,   can you see him   looking at that performance at Reading   , and not  going into self destruct mode ?    at halftime he would go through the dressing room doors without opening them !! 

Thanks for the honest replies but are you still confident after today''s result?  There didn''t seem to be any passion from our players and that has to go down to Worthy and his staff. 

Safri is too good for the current Norwich side and I''m sure scouts from other clubs are looking at him and will make a move in the summer.  Only saw Earnshaw for the first time today and on that initial performance there won''t be too many clubs looking to poach him.

I don''t believe you answered my question regarding tactics.  Having watched closely today I still saw the big hoof, even to Earnshaw, we still tried to get the ball out to Huckerby in the second half.  We also seemed to have trouble passing to our own players. 

As a Norwich fan I have to admit that Ipswich deserved to win as they played better football today.  I know a lot of players have come out in the media and said that the team is 100% behind Worthy, but I am beginning to have my doubts as to whether he still has that support.

Be brave squit and admit like the rest of us that Worthy has had more than enough chances to turn things around and he still fails to produce the goods.  I think the bottom three are doomed to go down, but poor results against Hull and Brighton and we could find ourselves dragged into the relegation struggle.  On current form over the last six games lost five, drawn one; that is relegation rather than play offs.

[quote user="silver fox"]

Thanks for the honest replies but are you still confident after today''s result?  There didn''t seem to be any passion from our players and that has to go down to Worthy and his staff.

[/quote]have to agree foxy, especially after they scored their winner - no response from the players or encouragement from the crowd.  are delia and worthy totally blind?

"he (NW) as

a tactition is useless"

Right here is a good place to start as ever! Now as people will have noticed - I am not a strong Worthy outer and wouldnt mind the guy given another chance. At the moment I am really trying to sort it all out in my head. However this comment is wrong.

You can not say that he got the tactics wrong in the promotion season or before that. Man United last season wasnt a tactical disaster either - both home and away. We have also had good wins like Sheff Utd away. The problem I fear is not entirely a lack of tactics."because he has lost the plot"No. At least if he has lost the plot then so have the 11 other people involved in winning or loosing games on a match day."he should tell Green wot to

do and not let him decide for himself."Have you ever played football? The keeper lines up the wall and arranges any other player if needed to block the goal. The manager can''t be involved in every decision made on the pitch - that is what makes a good player a good player. Do you think Ferguson tells Rooney what to do? No. Organising the wall etc is part and parcel of being a keeper - especialy one with international ambitions."if every player made his own

decisions then whats the point in having a manager?"To show the players how to combine their decisions and to teach them new ones. This is rediculous. I really dont think that you can ever have plaid football before. Players are not puppets they dont play in just the way that they are told to. They adapt to the formation and the opposition but they still make decisions. Long-short, easy pass slightly more difficult pass. Take the man on or not. Force the player out wide or show him inside? And those are just some. A game of football is all about 11 different battles going on on the same pitch. Each player had to figure out how they can best their adversary and make sure they do not become too predictable.EVERY PLAYER HAS TO MAKE DECISIONS END OF. A player on form is mentaly on song ie making the right pass and right options as well as in form along with a little self belief."Injuries have not helped but neither has the rubbish that he has brought in since we were relegated."Injuries have really not helped at all. We didnt even have Ashton for the entire period untill his escape. As for the "rubbish" I think we are yet to see the best of them yet. I also think that you would find it hard in arguing that they are any worse than those that left baring Francis perhaps - and that wasn''t exactly by choice.I think what has happened here is almost a self inflicted wound. Worthington has given us one thing in the past that we have not seen at this club for a very long time and that is consistancy. But up untill now he has had a reletively settled and experienced squad to draw upon. Time as meant that those players are simply not up to it anymore.Re-structuring can take time - especialy when re-grouping for a counter attack. I really do think that we ought to give Worthington untill ten games or so into next season. Simply because if the players have not started to pull together like Worthy teams of the past by then I think maybe he wont be able to get them to.Kammara may well be right on this one.Lastly I would just like to re-iterate that right now I am p''d off with the team as a whole, backroom staff included. However I realise, unlike some of the morons out there that blame can not lie at the feet of one person. I am just trying to analise the situation that Worthington is in and whether or not he can do something about it.The part of me that wants him out is the part of me that says we should be giving some of our youngsters a go when the experienced pros are missing the commitment and passion needed to win matches. Rossi and Safri centre mid - Jarvis and McVeigh up front when he is fit. Doc and Shack, Spillane on the bench. Lets get some drive back. If the youngsters dont give it to the team then at least being dropped might have a better effect on the older pros.Otherwise I just think that as a team we have had an incredibly inconsistant season, the same side can be put out two matches in a row and then play well the first match and do pants the second. For a manager that must be absoloutly hell!

[quote user="silver fox"]

Safri is too good for the current Norwich side and I''m sure scouts from other clubs are looking at him and will make a move in the summer.  Only saw Earnshaw for the first time today and on that initial performance there won''t be too many clubs looking to poach him.

I don''t believe you answered my question regarding tactics.  Having watched closely today I still saw the big hoof, even to Earnshaw, we still tried to get the ball out to Huckerby in the second half.  We also seemed to have trouble passing to our own players. 

As a Norwich fan I have to admit that Ipswich deserved to win as they played better football today.  I know a lot of players have come out in the media and said that the team is 100% behind Worthy, but I am beginning to have my doubts as to whether he still has that support.

Be brave squit and admit like the rest of us that Worthy has had more than enough chances to turn things around and he still fails to produce the goods.  I think the bottom three are doomed to go down, but poor results against Hull and Brighton and we could find ourselves dragged into the relegation struggle.  On current form over the last six games lost five, drawn one; that is relegation rather than play offs.

[/quote]

I apologise, I didn''t answer the question re tactics so here goes, I think when things a going badly it easier to remember the bad things a dissmiss the good, on most of the posts I''ve read about ''hoofball'' and Green & the defence do play high balls out of defence but they don''t do it all the time. We do try and play passing football, for example no-one on here has mentioned the Robinson chance in the second half.

As long as the play-offs are a mathematical possibility then I believe we should strive to be there & I still believe the manager has earnt the time to rebuild. 

[quote user="chicken"]"Re-structuring can take time - especialy when re-grouping for a counter attack. I really do think that we ought to give Worthington untill ten games or so into next season. Simply because if the players have not started to pull together like Worthy teams of the past by then I think maybe he wont be able to get them to.Kammara may well be right on this one.Lastly I would just like to re-iterate that right now I am p''d off with the team as a whole, backroom staff included. However I realise, unlike some of the morons out there that blame can not lie at the feet of one person. I am just trying to analise the situation that Worthington is in and whether or not he can do something about it.[/quote]come on chicken, be honest - we are playing like demoralised relegation candidates more than promotion challengers.  worthy has to turn it around pronto, because if the team isn''t looking like future promotion candidates over the last 14 games of this season, why should anybody think he''ll get it right for the next 10 games into next season?  thats illogical.  as for kammara, of course publically he''s going to sit on the fence on this one.  he sat in the stands during yesterdays performance, i would like to have heard his opinion then.and yes, tactically worthy comes up short for me, just like our attack did yesterday.  pairing a lightweight front 2, if you''re not going to pass and play through balls, instead of thorne and earnie was asking for trouble. 

[quote user="A load of squit"][quote user="silver fox"]

[/quote]

I apologise, I didn''t answer the question re tactics so here goes, I think when things a going badly it easier to remember the bad things a dissmiss the good, on most of the posts I''ve read about ''hoofball'' and Green & the defence do play high balls out of defence but they don''t do it all the time. We do try and play passing football, for example no-one on here has mentioned the Robinson chance in the second half.

As long as the play-offs are a mathematical possibility then I believe we should strive to be there & I still believe the manager has earnt the time to rebuild. 

[/quote]

robinson chance, did that happen during the seige on our goal by the poorest ipswich team for 10 years, its lucky they are rubbish as otherwise it would have been a repeat of Preston/Reading/Watford.

Mathematicall possible yeah.....  12 wins from 14 matches is required!! I can see that happening from a team whom have lost 15 outta 32!!  and havent won 12 league games all season!!! Our defense is worse than Millwall and our goalscoring is worse than Crewe!!