Fiery Zac

Farke and thoughts on the game

Last night really had a bit of everything and nicely sums up the entire season, but one thing it makes me absolutely sure of is....we must keep Farke above all else.

Some positives and negatives of last night (and the season as a whole):

We played some lovely football. Link up play, give and go, looking for that final ball; the players all buy into the philosophy and seem to love playing our brand of football as much as I love watching it. However we lack a bit of quality in the final third. Like against Leicester I thought Cantwell was a bit off his game last night. Too many awkward touches and some slow decision making. Having said that, like the whole team, never gave up and scored a fantastic penalty, he just didn’t hit the heights of his best performances this season. A bit more composure and impetus in the final third this season we’d be comfortably mid table. As pundits were reporting, we are (according to 5live) officially the best ever prem team to be bottom of the league.

Vrancic. People on the forum and Facebook continually insisting he should be starting more games. Last night proved how Farke has got team selection spot on. Whilst the odd decent long ball and he’s always had good vision for a pass, Vrancic simply can’t do the rest of what is required well enough to justify keeping his place in the team. Bullied off the ball, slow and some poor touches, he was rightly subbed and I hope Farke took some small pleasure from knowing he has been right all along. McLean much more solid. Arguably less creative but everything else means it’s McLeans place to lose.

Set pieces. We’ve been atrocious at defending them all season. Last night, Krul was a bit indecisive but Vrancic didn’t even jump and it was all too easy, the same as many a set piece goal (or general crossed ball for a goal) this season. Is it zonal marking as the guy next to me at the ground started shouting? I don’t know the answer but again, their goal summed up our season, all too easy to score against despite all our good play going forwards.

Rupp. What are people’s thoughts? Haven’t seen much of him so hard to judge but seems to be flattering to deceive so far. Technically good on the ball but seems panicked when going forward, making the wrong decision to often and is easily beaten off the ball. Hopefully, like Stiepermann after the first season, Farke just needs to find his best position and keep him there. Where that position is, I have no idea.

Defence. The goal aside, the defence was magnificent throughout. Well marshalled by a resurgent Hanley, it felt like one of Godfreys best games all season. Right place right time, often making up for others mistakes, a few runs forward, accurate passing, he had it all last night and showed why we rate him so highly. Lewis unsurprisingly looked more confident in all aspects and Aarons continues to show why he’ll be the one banker in the summer with a hefty price tag on him (if we go down).

Drmic. A different striker to Pukki. Won’t make as many runs wide or deep to receive the ball but was always in the box when needed looking to get onto the final ball, which never came. Worked hard at pressing and was right place right time for the goal. Keep him fit and he offers something different and effective.

Buendia. Again, proof Farke knows what he’s doing. Emi still showing the petulant side too often, moaning having lost the ball and lashing out soon after. Dispossessed too easily and in dangerous places at times too. Having said all that, by far our most creative player, some lovely through balls and works tirelessly for the team (why I believe he’s playing in his best position rather than as no10). An ongoing conundrum but for pure talent and potential, deserves his place. With all his weaknesses, he’s too good to drop with no effective alternative. 

Subs. Were correct and timely. Unlike the majority of games this season, the early change was obvious. The problem Farke has is the limited options to come off the bench in games and make an impact. He generally gets the starting 11 right and so it’s debatable all these changes he supposedly should have made around 60-70mins whether they’d have made any difference. Last night encapsulated this well. Vrancic off was obvious. Idah on was also obvious and we needed more forward thinking. Tettey I thought was a strange one but was actually a good move as Trybull obviously not had many minutes lately and largely ineffective. Stiepermann on brought fresh legs, and a cracking penalty. Well played Mr Farke!

Krul. Save the best to last. Forget everyone else (player wise), make sure this man is still with us next season. Leadership, passion and some fantastic saves to first keep us in the game and then to win it, he’s fast becoming my all time favourite city keeper. Timmy, Timmy Krul. Timmy, Timmy Krul!

Whilst criticism is justified at times, I simply don’t understand any doubt over Farkes position. He’s doing as good a job as can be expected with what he’s been given and is the very best we can hope for.

The ground is fantastic has to be said (even though I was about a mile up), had a great view right behind the penalties and a good atmosphere throughout. Shout out to the steward trying to get us all to sit down, he gave it a go but soon gave up.

If/when we play there again, I recommend parking at Ikea. Suggested to me by a Spurs mate, it’s about a 30min walk but free and doesn’t get locked overnight. A little bit of a hold up on the north circular but soon back on the m11. Took about 2 hours to get home.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I agree with basically all of that, but, one thing was galvanised last night. Why do we persist with whipping corners into the box? As is repeatedly proven when we are defending them, we do not have a big strong team who will win headers in a crowded box, we very very rarely create anything meaningful from a corner, I would like to see a bit more invention, playing it short or to the edge of the box so we have a little bit more time and space to actually create a chance...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Good post. I thought Todd was better than your review but I watched it on tv.

Yeh I may be being overly critical as I seem to be in the minority when I said he looked poor vs Leicester. He just seemed a bit off last night, few poor touches that lost possession and bullied off the ball too easily. Worked hard though and Spurs seemed to aim most attacks through Aurier or down the right

2 hours ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

I watched from the comfort of my sofa, agree with your summary, interesting though that the pundits kept mentioning Todd and how good he is,particularly in the second half. I have to say i was impressed with his fitness/energy levels........

I visited a Spurs forum today ...as is my want if we win against anybody.

A couple of posters singled out TC as our best player.

I thought he did well, worked exceptionally hard for the whole game and must have been totally creamed at the end.

At times he often forfeited possession by trying to be clever beyond his years.

His improvement into this season has been enormous. Keep it up and he'll be our most sought after and valuable player as befits a skillful goalscorer, young and English.

I hope that he does not instantly follow any big money. He has plenty of time to prosper.

• Like 3

I agree with most of the OP's thoughts.  With Buendia, we have to find a way to support him in how he plays and accept that he may sometimes lose the ball or try something over elaborate. Godfrey gave him a right rollicking at one point!  He's got better at knowing when and where to do this, but watching him jink his way into the box in the first half reminds us why he has to play.  Equally, Vrancic, Rupp and Cantwell were just as guilty of giving up possession easily last night. 

We as fans have to accept that this is a huge part of the way Farke wants us to play - even if we sometimes take an age to have a shot.

Of the outfield players, Hanley was my MoM last night. He's been excellent in the last few weeks.

I have no problem with emi losing the ball, it's the length of time that he sits on the floor with his arms spread out I wish he'd cut out.. 

Slightly off topic but Daniel Farke's tributes to the kit men make you hope sincerely that this huge challenge comes off for the man. He has class as a character and appears to be a great motivator of everyone at the club including the fans- and neutrals looking on.

• Like 3

Todd ran himself into the ground for 2 hours and was given some rough treatment. 

One block on the edge of the box was excellent. 

All our other penalty takers were subs, so where he got the energy for his pen Is beyond me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NCFCInnit said:

Slightly off topic but Daniel Farke's tributes to the kit men make you hope sincerely that this huge challenge comes off for the man. He has class as a character and appears to be a great motivator of everyone at the club including the fans- and neutrals looking on.

I was lucky enough to be with Jerry Goss for a couple of hours this afternoon and he was saying this about the whole club. It's all about people. Fans, Legends, Players, Coaches, Management, Staff, Board and owners. In no particular order. Just about people. As a whole the club value people. I've known that for a while but it was brilliant to hear.. 

• Like 2