Sign in to follow this  
Ramrod

Grant Hanley

Much maligned but what a defensive organiser. Grant's run in the side has seen us improve defensively and, Wolves aside, cut down on the goals conceded so we actually have a chance in games. 

And he is Captain for a reason: Character.  An experienced pro. 

Well done, Grant. You have come through from a difficult start to the season. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Ramrod said:

Much maligned but what a defensive organiser. Grant's run in the side has seen us improve defensively and, Wolves aside, cut down on the goals conceded so we actually have a chance in games. 

Braveheart.......

13 minutes ago, Ramrod said:

Great effort to floor a few of his team mates after we won the shootout too :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Ian
Typo
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Great performances all round. They are going to all have very tired legs going into Saturday 

But back come Duda and Pukki. Tettey came on late as did McLean so should be fine. 

No need to start with Emi. 

My only concern is our full backs. 

It would appear (me included) were a little too quick to perhaps judge Hanley. He has become a real centreback of late cutting out his defensive errors. It shows you us fans from time to time are too quick to judge and all that's needed is a run of games and match sharpness.

Edited by jaberry2
  • Thanks 1

He's looked a different player since he had his operation to be fair. Think he's a bit fitter and more mobile and it shows. Probably our first choice CB now. 

I suppose it should be no surprise that a Farke player has improved and exceeded expectations. I look at Tettey on the pitch these days and see a player much improved - and that isn't just down to age - his control and confidence on the ball is much better than previously.  Likewise with Hanley - he has improved too - again a testimony to the coaches and staff and the way things are done at the club these days.  Brilliant to see.

• Thanks 1

Any chance of Zimbo being back for this weekend? If legs are tired and we wanted to protect either Max or Jamal, could we possibly consider three at the back?

28 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I suppose it should be no surprise that a Farke player has improved and exceeded expectations. I look at Tettey on the pitch these days and see a player much improved - and that isn't just down to age - his control and confidence on the ball is much better than previously.  Likewise with Hanley - he has improved too - again a testimony to the coaches and staff and the way things are done at the club these days.  Brilliant to see.

Exactly. That is what Farke is here for and why he's so highly rated. I get frustrated by posts criticising him for the timing of substitutions or how he uses his squad, as if people expect him to be more of an old fashioned dug out manager like Lambert was instead of a head coach. The fact of the matter is if he was as good at all the tactical/game management stuff as he is at coaching and motivating players then he would be at a European giant winning trophies every season and would have never set foot in our dugout. 

Anyway I agree with all the praise Hanley is getting, he definitely looks more mobile and I'm never nervous when he's playing the ball now either. As a CB he's not even reached peak age yet so there's room for him to get even better. 

16 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Any chance of Zimbo being back for this weekend? If legs are tired and we wanted to protect either Max or Jamal, could we possibly consider three at the back?

interesting idea. Might confuse Wilder's overlapping CBs (whatever that means) & give us an advantage. Farke said he'd had a bit of a setback though - could we play Jamal at LCB? Rupp as wing back? It would shake things up a bit. Risky though.

3 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

interesting idea. Might confuse Wilder's overlapping CBs (whatever that means) & give us an advantage. Farke said he'd had a bit of a setback though - could we play Jamal at LCB? Rupp as wing back? It would shake things up a bit. Risky though.

At some point, the biggest risk becomes doing the same thing. Farke is a very intelligent coach, but our insistence upon sticking with exactly the same formation/style must make us relatively easy to prepare for. I wonder when was the last time an opposition manager was presented with something markedly different than what they'd prepared the team for?

I realise I'm going full Lakey here, but here's a bit of a curveball:

Krul
       Godfrey    Hanley   Lewis
Aarons     Tettey    McLean   Rupp
             Buendía      Cantwell
                         Pukki

The obvious weakness here is that any injury to the back five would necessitate a reshuffle and a probable return to 4-2-3-1. Not suggesting that we should go with the formation above, just putting it out there as a potential alternative if Farke wanted to mix it up a bit.

• Like 2