andyK99999

FA Cup or premier League football

FA Cup every time. Football is ultimately about winning things surely.

"Grandad, tell me about when we won the Cup" or "Grandad, tell me about when we finished 17th in the Premier League"

No brainer. 

• Like 1

FA Cup for me, especially as we’d get a season of European football as well to go along with a successful promotion campaign back to the Premier League.

Edited by Surfer

looking back to when we stayed up

under Lambert & then under Hughton, there was a feeling of mild satisfaction. But that’s all.

to win the FA cup would be a brilliant feeling and we’d never forget it.

I can understand the players prioritising the league because that is their careers. But as fans, a cup win would be much more important in the long run.

Is the game today about glory or money.

Few clubs have a chance of Premier League glory, we are not one of them.

More have a chance to win the FA Cup because of the way the competition is structured.

We actually knocked out the "big boy" of the former who were most keen to win the Cup because it was realistically their only chance of winning anything this season and of European football next. We were outstanding last night.

After that we are in with a shout.

I am just tending to want a cup win than achieve PL survival.We can still do both after all.

BUT I am mostly comforted by the fact that should we go down we will be in a very decent position, both financially and player-wise and manager-wise to make a good go of a speedy return. 

Edited by BroadstairsR

The premier league survival is a lost cause imho and I have just about come to terms with that. 

The FA cup gives us a unique opportunity to put a silver lining on this disappointing PL season. I'm glad I wasn't on this forum yesterday evening...some of the posters here were watching another game it seems! We didn't give up after that early blow (not good defending admittedly) and deserved to get through! I don't rate Spurs very highly ! 

7 hours ago, Hissing Sid said:

FA Cup every time. Football is ultimately about winning things surely.

"Grandad, tell me about when we won the Cup" or "Grandad, tell me about when we finished 17th in the Premier League"

No brainer. 

I disagree. Football - as in life is about the memories for me.

I don't think I've ever asked anyone about our league cup win in 85. I don't think I've ever searched for highlights on it. I'm glad we've won it and I wish for Norwich to win all that we can but I always find it odd how people value the cups so highly but the when it comes to the league - the bread and butter - winning it doesn't seem to count. For example I wouldn't swap our last 10 years with Wigans. Wigan who have had a few seasons in the premier league in that time and won the FA cup - I just don't think it comes close to what Norwich have given me in that time. 

I don't think the cup is meaningless  - but we could go out in the very next round and for me it would take nothing away from last night and the memories it will have created for those 9,000 Norwich fans. 

You know what frustrates the hell out of me?  We're not a million miles from staying up AND winning the Cup as a bonus.  This is a very average PL season.  All it would have needed was a modest financial investment by the club.

FA cup, I was there last night, what a night, Winning at wembley would stay in the memory much longer than staying in the PL

Short term, FA Cup. The final would be a phenomenal day out, especially if we won, and that would trump any feeling of avoiding relegation. 

Mid-term, Premier League. If we're stuck in the Championship for the next three or four years, we may start to wish we stayed up instead of winning the cup rather than lose to Barnsley on a bleak November night.

Long-term, FA Cup. We won't remember staying up in 20 or 50 years, but we'll remember the cup win. Nobody reminisces about any moments other than promotions or trophies from past generations.

FA Cup every single time. Nobody remembers who finished 17th in a league any season, but people remember the cup wins, trips to Wembley etc.

Whilst I was alive the last time we won a cup, I was very (very) young and definitely have no memory of it. To see us at Wemley winning the FA cup would be absolutely amazing. The playoff final was a brilliant day but winning the FA Cup would be 10x that...

30 minutes ago, lincsy88 said:

FA Cup, shut them lot down the road up once and for all then. 

Yes, but to them winning the League Cup doesn't count as a trophy, even though at the time it had more prestige than now.

(We've also sat on top of the PL for a while since then.)

Winning the old first division in the days of black and white television was a greater achievement to them.

Perhaps it was but a point of note is that in the twenties Huddersfield Town became the only team ever to win the Division One league three times in a row.The Liverpools and Manchester Uniteds have never achieved that. That is something to treasure.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Yes, but to them winning the League Cup doesn't count as a trophy, even though at the time it had more prestige than now.

(We've also sat on top of the PL for a while since then.)

Winning the old first division in the days of black and white television was a greater achievement to them.

Perhaps it was but a point of note is that in the twenties Huddersfield Town became the only team ever to win the Division One league three times in a row.The Liverpools and Manchester Uniteds have never achieved that. That is something to treasure.

Ohh how this made me chuckle 

20 hours ago, andyK99999 said:

I'm sure it's been asked before but if you had it in your power today to choose FA Cup winners and relegation or being knocked out tonight and 17th place finish in the premier League, which would you choose?

Cup for me. Unlike other seasons we seem to have a plan in place which allows for relegation without putting the club at risk. I quite enjoy being a yo-yo team and it would of course mean we can have a star on our shirts. 😁

on another note a Spurs fan told me last night that they are the only non league team ever to win the FA cup......in 1901..i did tell him that" just like Ipswich you  live in the past "

Cup for me too - why should we celebrate being 17th??