Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Team for Spurs

Just a suggestion, with a nod to the players who played in the last two rounds. More likely to play Cantwell on the left, I know, but would love to see Idah given another go after his Preston FA cup game - and when he has come on as a sub, he played on the left. 

Fahrmann

Aarons Godfrey Hanley  Lewis

Trybull  Vrancic    

Rupp    Stiepermann  Idah

Drmic

11 minutes ago, king canary said:

The patented Lakey Left Midfield Lottery.

Is Idah the new Dorrans?

Assuming neither Tettey nor Pukki make it:

Krul
Aarons Godfrey Hanley Lewis
               Rupp    McLean
Buendía        Duda      Cantwell
                      Drmic

Subs: McGovern, Trybull, Vrancic, Leitner, Stiepermann, Idah (plus a youth-team defender - Famewo and Odusina both out on loan, so maybe Ciaren Jones?)

As we've got this far and as Spurs are currently beatable I think we'll put out the strongest XI available and that will look pretty much like Feedthewolf's team above.

Not that I'm saying that neither Rupp or Duda are the strongest available so I'd have Trybull & Vrancic instead of those two.

No time for sentiment, pick our strongest team and go for the win

You know it makes sense

21 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Krul
               Rupp    McLean
                      Drmic

Subs: McGovern, Trybull, Vrancic, Leitner, Stiepermann, Idah (plus a youth-team defender - Famewo and Odusina both out on loan, so maybe Ciaren Jones?)

I’d start with that, bring on Idah with 30 to go, the pace and size of the lad could cause plenty of issues.

51 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Krul
               Rupp    McLean
                      Drmic

3 minutes ago, canarycop said:

Ciaran Jones has been released hasn't he ?

So he has... well spotted. I missed that completely! Anyone know who's playing in defence for our U23s? As far as I know, Bushiri, Odusina, Famewo and Richards are all out on loan...?

A win would be superb for club morale. FTW won't be too far away with that team. Although neither Vrancic nor Trybull have seen much pitch time recently, one or both might get the nod. Vrancic deserves a start after the Burnley game & it's unlikely DF will start without a defensive midfielder. Duda needs to keep playing to find his form and Rupp will probably be shoehorned in somewhere.

What about:

Krul

Aarons     Hanley     Godfrey     Lewis

Trybull / Rupp     Vrancic

Buendia     Duda      Cantwell

Drmic

Not sure if Rupp & Vrancic is solid enough in deep midfield, but Tommy T hasn't played much recently. McLean, Stiepermann, Idah, one of Rupp/Trybull and young defender to give options off the bench.

Small afterthought: Would McLean & Vrancic work as a partnership?

Edited by paddycanary
I'm a clown

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

So he has... well spotted. I missed that completely! Anyone know who's playing in defence for our U23s? As far as I know, Bushiri, Odusina, Famewo and Richards are all out on loan...?

We're doing what we often do and fielding players who are under age for the category they're playing in.

Central defenders for recent U23 games have been Jonathan Tomkinson and Andrew Omobamidele, both of whom are very good prospects, but are still eligible for our U18s. 

U23s lost 4-0 at league leaders West Ham last night. 

Edited by Thirsty Lizard
  • Like 1

GK  Krul

LB  Lewis

CB  Godfrey

CB  Hanley

RB  Aarons 

CM  Trybull

CM  Vrancic

AML  Cantwell 

AM  McLean

AMR  Buendia

ST  Drmic

Subs, McGovern, Omobamidele, Rupp, Leitner, Duda, Stiepermann, Idah

Edited by HB1989

Krul

Aarons, Hanley, Godfrey, Lewis

Trybull, Vrancic

Buendia, Duda, Cantwell

Drmic

Rest Tettey and Pukki if they have been ill.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lincsy88 said:

Krul

Trybull, Vrancic

Buendia, Duda, Cantwell

Drmic

Rest Tettey and Pukki if they have been ill.

Gets my vote. 

Looking forward to seeing the link between Duda and Drmic. I suspect Vrancic, if played will have a bit of space and if so could be very interesting.

13 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Krul
               Rupp    McLean
                      Drmic

Think this is the most likely, but I also have a feeling that Vrancic might start. So perhaps that would mean removing McLean or Rupp. Not sure how good Rupp is as a deeper lying/defensive midfielder but I don't think that's the Mayor's kind of role. Tough one to call.

Krul

Mclean, Vrancic

Buendia, Cantwell

Drmic, Idah

With Drmic as an almost number 10

12 hours ago, paddycanary said:

A win would be superb for club morale. FTW won't be too far away with that team. Although neither Vrancic nor Trybull have seen much pitch time recently, one or both might get the nod. Vrancic deserves a start after the Burnley game & it's unlikely DF will start without a defensive midfielder. Duda needs to keep playing to find his form and Rupp will probably be shoehorned in somewhere.

What about:

Krul

Aarons     Hanley     Godfrey     Lewis

Trybull / Rupp     Vrancic

Buendia     Duda      Cantwell

Drmic

Not sure if Rupp & Vrancic is solid enough in deep midfield, but Tommy T hasn't played much recently. McLean, Stiepermann, Idah, one of Rupp/Trybull and young defender to give options off the bench.

Small afterthought: Would McLean & Vrancic work as a partnership?

I have been saying this for awhile about McLean and vrancic together at cdm ,well worth a try.😄

Krul

Mclean, Vrancic

Buendia, Cantwell

Drmic, Idah

With Drmic as an almost number 10

Krul

Rupp, Trybull, Vrancic, Cantwell

Buendia

Pukki if fit or Drmic 

for all our fixtures now... would go 4 - 4- 1 - 1

Pukki or whoever should be told not to stray back past the half-way line... the times we clear forward and Pukki is in the no mans land tracking back is a constant, takes its toll on fitness and we don't have that threat where its needed.  He does defend too much. 

Buendia was excellent defensively against Leicester, although 1) clearly he doesn't like doing the dirty work and 2) it prevents him being in the danger areas to get the best out of his creativity - its not a wonder that he's rarely threatening a goal.... we need him further forward where he can hunt the ball and force errors off defenders and use his creativity around opponents box.   Buendia can cover the central areas of our half when we are defending and Rupp can do the defensive work in front of Aarons.   

Subs... Fahrmann, Tettey, McLean, Duda, Idah, (an u23 defender) and Pukki / Drmic.    

OTBC

Edited by ged in the onion bag

Sheff Utd have been put through extra time, if we can get through this in 90 mins that gives us a slight advantage on Saturday.

Anyway the back 5 picks itself in front of that I'd have

Vrancic Trybull

McLean   Buendia   Stiepermann

Drmic

Really wish we had a winger fit we could play to give us another option,  but with what we have that's the team i'd choose. Cantwell needs a rest, wouldn't risk Tettey or Pukki. There's a bit of physicality in attack for us there and we could try a few high crosses for once with that team, mix it up a bit, give them something else to think about, there's also enough technical ability to play our usual game and McLean and Stiepermann could offer a bit of protection for our full backs.

• Like 1

On 03/03/2020 at 19:43, Feedthewolf said:
On 03/03/2020 at 19:31, king canary said:

The patented Lakey Left Midfield Lottery.

Is Idah the new Dorrans?

Just for information, Idah played on the left side of the pitch for 60 minutes last night.

8 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Just for information, Idah played on the left side of the pitch for 60 minutes last night.

Fair play, Lakey! 🙂