Pugin

Number of EFL to go to the wall if worst Coronavirus predictions are accurate

3 hours ago, Crafty Canary said:

That’s the cruise we are on departing May 9th. The worst I see happening is that the itinerary is amended to remove Livorno and at worse Italy altogether. We are hoping to visit Pisa and Florence and currently these sre still OK to visit.

Hopefully everything works out ok Crafty.

But aren't retired doctor's being called up?

4 minutes ago, Skyrider said:

This is what you get / have when you have free movement 

Yes, because Iran is so well known for its laissez-faire border controls...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you have to take medication on daily basis, it's best to take a large supply for the journey. You may be guarantined or blocked at a port. The situation moves quickly and local health care may become overburdened suddenly, and/or drug stores run out of supply and are unable to restock. Take hand sanitizer with you or if it's restricted, try to buy some from the ship immediately. It might run out if there's a suspected ncov infection on board. Always wash hands with soap before eating and when coming to your cabin/suite. Do not touch railings, handles. If you do, use hand sanitizer (70% ethanol). Kick doors open instead of pushing. If you have to push, use elbows. Avoid spas. Don't touch people. Avoid crowds. Do not touch your face outside before using hand sanitizer. If you're locked in your cabin as a guarantine measure, do not fully trust staff who bring food to you. Use sanitizer on utensils. Demand food is in sealed containers. Eat it cold if you have to. If you're over 70 or have serious medical conditions, consider preparing a will with your lawyer before leaving. Godspeed.

5 minutes ago, Upo said:

If you have to take medication on daily basis, it's best to take a large supply for the journey. You may be guarantined or blocked at a port. The situation moves quickly and local health care may become overburdened suddenly, and/or drug stores run out of supply and are unable to restock. Take hand sanitizer with you or if it's restricted, try to buy some from the ship immediately. It might run out if there's a suspected ncov infection on board. Always wash hands with soap before eating and when coming to your cabin/suite. Do not touch railings, handles. If you do, use hand sanitizer (70% ethanol). Kick doors open instead of pushing. If you have to push, use elbows. Avoid spas. Don't touch people. Avoid crowds. Do not touch your face outside before using hand sanitizer. If you're locked in your cabin as a guarantine measure, do not fully trust staff who bring food to you. Use sanitizer on utensils. Demand food is in sealed containers. Eat it cold if you have to. If you're over 70 or have serious medical conditions, consider preparing a will with your lawyer before leaving. Godspeed.

Stay at home

12 minutes ago, Upo said:

Sounds like advice for those of us off to Spurs

This thread did get me wondering what would happen if a Premier League player tested positive. Presumably then the whole squad would have to be quarantined for 14 days (and any team the affected player played against in that period)? Which would obviously have ramifications for fixture completion.

1 hour ago, Skyrider said:

We are going on a cruise p/0 on the 31may its all go at the moment

Chances diminishing by the hour.

41 minutes ago, Upo said:

Have fun and don't forget to send a stick of rock. 

33 minutes ago, Grando said:

This thread did get me wondering what would happen if a Premier League player tested positive. Presumably then the whole squad would have to be quarantined for 14 days (and any team the affected player played against in that period)? Which would obviously have ramifications for fixture completion.

That’s actually a very good point that hadn’t even occurred to me, just one player getting this could easily bring the league to a complete halt 

10 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Hopefully everything works out ok Crafty.

But aren't retired doctor's being called up?

With older people far more likely to die of coronavirus I do have to question the wisdom of staffing our NHS with retirees. 

I suppose the state getting out of paying the NHS pensions of any they kill off makes some economic sense. 

46 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

With older people far more likely to die of coronavirus I do have to question the wisdom of staffing our NHS with retirees. 

I suppose the state getting out of paying the NHS pensions of any they kill off makes some economic sense. 

Perhaps this is the reason for the Genesis reunion. 

7 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

Perhaps this is the reason for the Genesis reunion. 

Reading about aged rockstars yesterday, I think we may start to see fewer reunion tours because insurance companies are increasingly reticent to back them! 

1 hour ago, Grando said:

Why just Premier League? Why not any team sport at any level? Obviously if it happened at a PL club such as Norwich, group training would be suspended, games would be canceled and a view would have to be taken regarding other teams that we had come into contact with.

The fact is, we know next to nothing about coronavirus, so the next few months will be nothing if not interesting.

Perhaps a prolonged spell of hot weather will come to our rescue in early summer but that's a long way off. The warmer it gets, the more difficult the conditions are for many viruses. The coronavirus is surrounded by a layer of fat. This layer is not very heat-resistant, which means that the virus quickly breaks down when temperatures rise to about 27 degrees. Other viruses, such as the norovirus, are more stable because they consist mainly of proteins and genetic material.

So why not introduce heat tunnels or similar for the mass population? (Or, selfishly, at places such as Colney Lane?) Such measures must be under consideration at this very moment, It really is the stuff of science fiction.

15 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Reading about aged rockstars yesterday, I think we may start to see fewer reunion tours because insurance companies are increasingly reticent to back them! 

It is a basic principle of all insurance cover that the Insured shall behave like a 'prudent uninsured'. You've got me wondering how Keith Richards answers that particular question when the Stones go on the road!!!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Pugin said:

Why just Premier League? Why not any team sport at any level? Obviously if it happened at a PL club such as Norwich, group training would be suspended, games would be canceled and a view would have to be taken regarding other teams that we had come into contact with.

I suppose I asked about Premier League as that's where NCFC are... But yes, obviously, any level of sport could be affected. In addition, I thought the amount of money at stake might perhaps influence the PL's decision makers as to how to (and how quickly to) react. If, for argument's sake, one of the big clubs were affected, that might have more effect on what transpired than if we did. Anyway, I'm sure none of this hypothesising is particularly useful, though I guess we can assume (hope?) that the footballing authorities are at least having the same conversations. 

2 hours ago, Upo said:

We should always use hand sanitisers on cruises but it is useless against viruses as the sanitisers are anti-bacterial. Antibiotics do not work on viruses.

28 minutes ago, Pugin said:

It is a basic principle of all insurance cover that the Insured shall behave like a 'prudent uninsured'. You've got me wondering how Keith Richards answers that particular question when the Stones go on the road!!!

Apparently KR has given up the Ciggies...... has he also kicked his  other 'habits'..... fair play to him if he's Clean.

36 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

We should always use hand sanitisers on cruises but it is useless against viruses as the sanitisers are anti-bacterial. Antibiotics do not work on viruses.

You are spreading a dangerous myth there crafty canary, alcohol gels of sufficient strength (60 percent plus) DO kill coronavirus microbes.

I have no idea what you think antibiotics have to do with alcohol gels, please explain. They are completely different things!!

1 hour ago, Crafty Canary said:

Don't worry, there won't be any cruises.

1 hour ago, Crafty Canary said:

This post should probably be removed for spreading blatantly misleading information during critical time.

It is wrong. It sounds like you are very confused.

Alcohol kills most bacteria and viruses it is directly applied to. The reason why we use antibiotics instead of alcohol is that you'd have to replace your blood and most bodily fluids with ethanol to get sufficient concentration to kill the bacteria or viruses. Even the most hardened alcoholic will manage barely 0.4-0.5% before dying. Antibiotics rely on completely different mechanisms. Don't mix antibacteria-soap with antibiotics either.

Hand sanitisers inactivate viruses and kill bacteria alike. It is not 100%, but it is close enough. Some virus and bacteria strains are more resistant than others. Some require washing your hands with soap. Soap is great, but you can't wash your hands with it on the go. Use liquid soap, not bar soap. Bar soap can spread bacteria and viruses. I don't even know why they still manufacture them... Optimally, you should wash your hands carefully. Then dry them with clean towel. Then apply hand sanitizer, rub it dutifully all around and let it dry in the air.

The more carefully you use hand sanitizers, the better the result. Anything over 70% ethanol will do. Dip your hands in booze if you have to, as long as it's runny enough to get into skin cracks and reliably over 70%.

Mea culpa on this one. Whilst alcohol hand sanitisers claim to kill 99.9% of bacteria they make no such claims for viruses. This is because, presumably, it depends on the nature of the virus. It seems that alcohol works best on enveloped viruses where it attacks the outer coating of the virus hence killing the virus. Apparently the Covid-19 virus is susceptible to alcohol gels. Getting your hands on said gels is another matter.

3 hours ago, ricardo said:

Don't worry, there won't be any cruises.

I think you’re right, there won’t be. Flybe now saying they have days before they go out of business 

Listening to R4 and an Italian reporter, he thinks action is two weeks too late in Italy (closing schools and universities). He stated that governments don't like to move like this but action was needed so much earlier....

14 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Listening to R4 and an Italian reporter, he thinks action is two weeks too late in Italy (closing schools and universities). He stated that governments don't like to move like this but action was needed so much earlier....

Governments are always reactive rather than proactive. They are trying to balance the health and economic consequences which will follow from restrictions.

Here is my early take. The football season has little chance of finishing. Once somebody at a club gets it the quarentine restrictions will make completing fixtures impossible. Large gatherings are already being banned in Italy and the rest of Europe will soon follow.

• Like 1

This must rate as one of the most depressing topics ever to be on the Pinkun site up there with when we dropped into Div 1 through to Chris Hughton, Glenn Roeder and Brian Gunn era