Sign in to follow this  
Grumpy

Mc Cullums secret weapon.

Took the opportunity to check out Sam McCullam today.I will pass on commenting on his defence or his attacking as he is playing as a wing back, but he has the one thing in his locker that Norwich hasn't had for the past two seasons.A massive throw in.

Edited by Grumpy

12 hours ago, Grumpy said:

Took the opportunity to check out Sam McCullam today.I will pass on commenting on his defence or his attacking as he is playing as a wing back, but he has the one thing in his locker that Norwich hasn't had for the past two seasons.A massive throw in.

Given Lewis is a regular throwin taker, this makes sense

I commented on this during the game yesterday. He threw the ball a huge distance with very little effort. Absolutely useless to us but impressive nevertheless 

• Like 1

Has to be said, our throw-ins are pretty dreadful at the moment - we hardly ever seem to be able to create space to get the ball.  I’d certainly not say it’s ‘useless’ to us - we currently have few/no options and anything that can mix it up is more than welcome.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I commented on this during the game yesterday. He threw the ball a huge distance with very little effort. Absolutely useless to us but impressive nevertheless 

We'll see. Pukki obviously is weak in the air, but Drmic looks a lot stronger in this respect and Idah is better than Pukki in the air too.

If you think back to last season in the Championship you'll remember that there were a few occasions where we were chasing the game in the final few minutes and started playing it long with Klose up front. If we find ourselves in those situations again I'm sure McCallum's long throw ins will come in very handy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Has to be said, our throw-ins are pretty dreadful at the moment - we hardly ever seem to be able to create space to get the ball.  I’d certainly not say it’s ‘useless’ to us - we currently have few/no options and anything that can mix it up is more than welcome.

This. Every time we get a throw we seem to wait until the opposition are stood directly in front of all nearby players, and then spend a minute or two dithering because there’s no easy route to go. It then gets thrown either long, which more often than not we lose, or to a nearby player, who passes it straight back to the thrower who is then immediately pressed by the opposition and again we seem to lose possession more often than we do anything productive. 

Maybe someone who understands the game better than I can point out why it’s more complicated than just being solved by a quick throw?

Edited by Nuff Said
Speeling

Useless from a 'throw in, in their final 3rd' however not useless when in our final third and turning defence into attack quickly.

Definitely worth keeping an eye on other Coventry defenders for the remainder of the season. They were excellent yesterday and I think we may need reinforcements in that area come the summer. 

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

This. Every time we get a throw we seem to wait until the opposition are stood directly in front of all nearby players, and them spend a minute or two dithering because there’s no easy route to go. It then gets thrown either long, which more often than not we lose, or to a nearby player, who passes it straight back to the thrower who is then immediately pressed by the opposition and again we seem to lose possession more often than we do anything productive.

I don't blame the thrower - other teams I have seen this season look a lot more positive at closing our players down at throw ins and creates problems for whoever is taking them.  Then you look at when the other team gets a throw in and often they have players free, meaning presumably that we are not positive enough in our marking at throw ins. It is definitely an area we can improve in, both in taking them and reacting when the opposition have them.

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

This. Every time we get a throw we seem to wait until the opposition are stood directly in front of all nearby players, and them spend a minute or two dithering because there’s no easy route to go. It then gets thrown either long, which more often than not we lose, or to a nearby player, who passes it straight back to the thrower who is then immediately pressed by the opposition and again we seem to lose possession more often than we do anything productive. 

Maybe someone who understands the game better than I can point out why it’s more complicated than just being solved by a quick throw?

The Leicester match proved your post (better than any other match in my opinion). Leicester closed us down every throw in whilst they found a team player each time they had a throw in?  It made me wonder whether they had been coached in this respect. The approach of the two teams in this one element was so markedly different.

Not that secret as Michael Bailey talked about it a fair bit in his assessment on McCullum for The Athletic. A whole month or so ago! 😉

Anyway. Yes. Apparently he can bung a ball a fair ol distance. Super! May come in handy!

Edited by BobLoz3

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Definitely worth keeping an eye on other Coventry defenders for the remainder of the season. They were excellent yesterday and I think we may need reinforcements in that area come the summer. 

Hyam used to rent the flat above mine when he first joined Coventry. Generally quiet but somehow managed three separate leaks into my property during his 12 month stay.