Sign in to follow this  
Rhino1

Nobody likes a bully !

I knew it instinctively but if you look at the detail it’s extremely stark. The vast majority of Norwich’s points this year have come against sides that like to play the passing game, and perhaps give us a little time.

leicester 4 points

newcastle 4 points

Bournemouth 4 points

Man city 3 points

Tottenham/Arsenal 1 point each 

Total: 16 points at least 80% of our haul

We simply don’t like a bully teams that hassle, full of big lumps, that knock us out of our game. Burnley, Watford, Brighton and all. Give us a footballing side and we more than hold our own. Doesn’t bode well for Saturday!! 

It’s also possible to be a decently technically skilled, big fast bully. Having been to Burnley (A), Wolves (H&A) and Sheff U (H) amongst others, I just can’t see that traditional divide any more, at this level 

Correct assumption. We don’t have the players to “outmuscle” and we definitely can’t rely on the officials to protect our players. I’m pretty sure a landmine could go off under one of our players and you wouldn’t see a flicker on a Premier league referees face

Edited by The Real Buh

Being big and physical doesn't make you a bully.  I haven't analysed it but it does seem to me that we fare better against teams that are smaller in stature. 

The original post mentioned Brighton but they were beaten by a Palace side yesterday who just seemed to be stronger. 

The Real Buh,

This landline you mention, would it be to accept a call to the cause, or the manager ringing to pass on instructions😉

• Haha 1

Generation47 - don’t disagree I don’t see any traditional bullies in this league, bully in this instance refers to a more robust style, adopting an aggressive press (United did this and made us look very inadequate) or just generally bigger and stronger (Burnley, Watford, Sheffield United). Hopefully second time around playing these teams we may have learnt, to perhaps throw in the odd long ball to turn the defence and force the press back! 

I have no idea what a "bully team" is, unless you are using that term to describe teams that are just physically superior.

There are no "bully teams" in the traditional sense, Wimbledon were one of those (physical threats on the pitch, grabbing testicles, etc).

I wouldn't describe physically stronger sides as "bullies", if the opposition are bigger and stronger then you are going to win fewer aerial duels than them and if they are stronger and faster then your tackle success rate is going to worse than theirs. 

Our 'interception' success rate the lowest it has ever been in this league. 

We aren't physical enough for this league, or at least haven't been over the course of the season,that's the problem, the problem is us not them.

When I created a thread earlier in the season and pointed out that we aren't physical enough and lose to these types of teams I got slaughtered, but its true.... we struggle against physically stronger teams, and also find it difficult to defend set pieces and corners against sides that have players that are good in the air (Chris Wood an example). 

In other words bullied off the ball !! Semantics it’s the same thing, physical strength - clearly I am not critical of these teams , most will survive in the League, it’s an observation of why we are where we are.

Perhaps bullying could refer to the more cynical “professional “ foul play, often unpunished , of physical contact on another player designed to reduce a player’s performance or ability to perform as expected. The “reducer” is part of football terminology and deserves in my opinion greater punishment as does preventing a break out by fouling the attacking player. Sin bins please.

Ive been saying this all season. Our midfield is far too lightweight for the division. They have the skill but look like boys against men when up against big physical players - which most of the bottom half teams are crammed full with. 

This, perhaps goes some way towards explaining Farke's preference for McLean, brought up in the Scottish leagues, to the technically superior Vrancic and Leitner.

5 hours ago, Badger said:

This, perhaps goes some way towards explaining Farke's preference for McLean, brought up in the Scottish leagues, to the technically superior Vrancic and Leitner.

I think McLean is preferred as he is one of the only central players we have who has some all round game and no glaring weaknesses. Most of the CMs in the squad excel in one area but are lacking in many others which you can't get away with in the premier league in the same way as the championship. 

You could easily look and say Vrancic is a better creator, Leitner a superior passer/dictator, Trybull is better at breaking up play and Steipermann at taking it down from the air and winning headers. McLean does a little of all of that without standing out but can contribute in all those situations which would mean he can offer a little more to the team as a whole.

• Like 2

I'd like to say Leicester is a better fit for us than most and Wolves and ManU are some of the worst. I thought Norwich looked strong against Leicester now, but the numbers aren't that favorable. It's likely that getting VARed took much of the wind out of Leicester's sails and they couldn't muster a late comeback. We've been there too...nice to not be on the bad side of the decisions for once.

When we were lacking in the CB department, any team that pressed us intensively even for a limited time broke our spirits. Once we got Zimmermann back in November, we've been seriously beaten only in the games we haven't had our top threats - Pukki and Buendia - on the field at the same time. The Wolves game introduced very rusty Godfrey, so I wouldn't read too much even into THAT result.

I think there's just too many variables to get anything fruitful out of it. I think we've struggled against good teams on top of their games, and have managed to catch a couple underestimating us. On average, we tend to look stronger than we actually are, because of Farkeball's aesthetic qualities.

• Like 1

On 02/03/2020 at 07:27, Dean Coneys boots said:

Ive been saying this all season. Our midfield is far too lightweight for the division. They have the skill but look like boys against men when up against big physical players - which most of the bottom half teams are crammed full with. 

Farke mentioned it earlier in the season.. should have been looked at in the transfer window.