Sign in to follow this  
The Duke of Norfolk

If we don't beat Watford then forget about the play off's....

I don''t feel personally that we will make the play off''s even if we do beat Watford, however if we fail to beat them then you can definitely forget about it.

Here are the reasons why we definitely won''t make the play off''s if we lose to Watford.

We are now 2/3rds of the way through the season.

We are currently before Saturdays results 5 points behind 6th place Preston. Preston have a game in hand on us and if they win that then they are 8 points clear of us. Preston also have a far superior goal difference meaning that we would in fact be 9 points behind them.

We are 8 points behind 5th place Palace. Palace have 2 games in hand on us and again a superior goal difference. Palace are on fire at the moment and have won their last 6 games on the bounce.

We are 10 points behind Watford who are 4th. If we lose on Saturday that gap becomes an unasailable 13 points. If we draw the gap is still 10 points.

We are 11 points behind 3rd place Leeds. Leeds have a game in hand on us and have a superior goal difference.

Most importantly Norwich still have to play Leeds, Palace and Preston away from home. These games are 6 pointers. We would most probably have to win a couple of them as well as picking up an average of 2 points per game for the rest of the season to stand even a chance of reaching the play off''s.

It could be done yes, but i don''t think it will.

I think alot of fans are a little uneducated when they claim that we can easily make the play off''s. I was the same untill i looked at our remaining fixtures and the league table.

Given that it is the sum total of points accumulated rather than when they were accumulated that counts, the not gaining of any three points between now and the end of the season would mean exactly the same.

What a failing to win against Watford might suggest is that we are not good enough but the with football who knows.

I''m yet to find anyone who correctly predicted our dismal start or that we would then win five games on the trot in december

It ain''t over till the fat lady sings, and she''s well down the running order so nil desperadum my young friend

Or nil Watford with us bagging a brace would be better.

nothing is ever over in this league - look at palace 2 years ago and west brom when they overtook wolves, even us in the play off year.

I think we will do them in. If we dont it starts becoming ever more distant - and unlikely to be honest, if we keep losing why should we just start winning games? we havent played well all season.

If we win our home games and draw the away we might just make the play-offs, so I agree, if we lose to watford, or even draw, then the play-offs would become a pretty steep mounatin to climb, that''s why i''ve got us down to win.  However, since winning 5 on the bounce, we''ve lost 2 games right after and drawn the next.  Not only that, its been the manner of the performances that''s alarmed me.

Personally, I think it depends on whether we sign quality, and retain the key player''s before the end of January. I will admit, I was pleasantly surprised with the 5 game unbeaten run!

Automatic promotion was realistically out of our reach over 2 months ago. Reading, will have it sown up by the end of next month, but Sheff Utd are catchable by the chasing pack within touching distance. There''s a lot of ''soccer'' to be played between now and May, but (and I hope I''m wrong!) we will only reach the play-offs - with the same good fortune bestowed on us the last time we made it. As MadDan said, "it ain''t over till the large lass bellows!" but not wishing to sound defeatist, our poor start to the campaign didn''t do us any favours, so therefore, not this season folks......... ;~(