Sign in to follow this  
Samwam27

clinical finishing

I'm not knocking a fantastic performance, but had we had more clinical finishing in front of goal, we'd have plenty more points on the table.

Jamal took his goal beautifully. Chested it, waited for the ball to drop then picked his spot.

Duda had a great long distance shot, but then had a great chance from centre of the penalty area and just seemed to choose to slam it, rather than place either side of Schmeichal

This isn't a criticsim of Duda, but we're creating chances every game. Just seem to be lacking the composure to stick it away.

still, we're given ourselves a chance, and need to keep the momentum going against Sheff U   

• Like 1

This is the primary reason for our current league position. If we scored the league average ratio of goals to chances then I'm certain we would be comfortably mid-table.

That doesn't necessarily mean that we're in a false position: finishing is a crucial part of the game in which we are clearly deficient. However, we do seem to be disproportionately bad at taking our chances in comparison to the other areas of the game where we appear to be better than what our league position would suggest. 

Edited by Petriix

I don't think it's a case of our players being useless at finishing or anyhing of that nature. It's just that the one we've got who is REALLY good at it hasn't been hitting the target so much in open play as of late. Again, he's still getting the odd chance but teams have worked out his movement a bit. Still, I would never want to be without him in the side as that movement I mentioned is critical to the way we play imo.

The issue we have is we can only seem to score from certain situations. Most prominently, in Pukki's case, is when a ball is slid through for him to run on to. We haven't scored many from set pieces, barely any from long range shots, not that many from crosses coming in from the wing etc. It is down to the way we play, preferring to move the ball well and thread something more centrally for Pukki/whoever else might be running on to the ball. I think we're a bit too reliant on Pukki this season. Not many of our other attacking players have contributed and that, in itself, causes a strain. Then we have the goals scored by midfielders and defenders... again, not many! Last season there seemed to be a more even spread of scorers. I guess it was always to be expected with the step up in class.

15 minutes ago, Petriix said:

This is the primary reason for our current league position. If we scored the league average ratio of goals to chances then I'm certain we would be comfortably mid-table.

That doesn't necessarily mean that we're in a false position: finishing is a crucial part of the game in which we are clearly deficient. However, we do seem to be disproportionately bad at taking our chances in comparison to the other areas of the game where we appear to be better than what our league position would suggest. 

We do seem to be rather like the Arsenal of a few years ago, wanting to walk the ball into the net every time. Fear of failure is the reason I think - which only makes failure a certainty. Need some more Tetteyesque moments from other players  - Jamal has shown the way!