Sign in to follow this  
baldy09

Virus

Interesting what I heard on the radio today 5 live if the virus spread ,all football games will be cancelled this season

Should that happen I would imagine the PL would apply the table as it stands at that point. Clubs who have played more or less games than the majority of teams would probably have their points adjusted 

For the Premier League there is no reason they could not play the games behind closed doors as all the games are televised anyway.

It's more likely games will be played behind closed doors per Serie A. 

Euro 2020 must be looking dodgy, and I see the french are banning public gatherings of more than 5000 people.

The official reason why the five Serie A games were postponed this weekend is because they didn't want them to go ahead behind closed doors, especially the showpiece Juve-Inter game tomorrow night. The hope is that by May the games will be played as normal, however some northern regions have now extended the ban on fans so it looks like next weekend they'll have to postpone again or play behind closed doors...

21 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

It would be just our luck to get to Wembley for an FA Cup Semi only to find we couldn't go.

Don't worry, as we are little Norwich City, VAR will overrule it !!!!

This virus is about to spread rapidly now. 50% increase in cases today in the UK and thousands more tests ongoing. This is very serious.

14 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Telegraph reported that teams in the bottom 3, as it stands, could well be relegated despite having games to play.

That just doesn't make common sense. Imagine being Villa or Bournemouth and having same number of points as Watford. It would necessitate extra payments in my opinion / no doubt be subject to legal action.

Surely you can’t just relegate teams with over 1/4 of the season still to go? The financial implications are huge so that would be a legal nightmare! 

Like the date for the Save the Earth Electric car deadline date It ain’t going to happen 

1 hour ago, daly said:

Like the date for the Save the Earth Electric car deadline date It ain’t going to happen 

Award for random hobby horse post of the day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anyone who believes anything the Telegraph says deserves the brain ache it causes. And just because the number of cases doubles does not mean we are facing a massive problem. Going from 2O to 40 cases overnight is not the same as going from 2,000 to 4,000. As we have 50+ million people in the UK, even 1 in 10, 000 being infected would mean over 5,000 cases. So keep it in perspective everyone. 

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

Anyone who believes anything the Telegraph says deserves the brain ache it causes. And just because the number of cases doubles does not mean we are facing a massive problem. Going from 2O to 40 cases overnight is not the same as going from 2,000 to 4,000. As we have 50+ million people in the UK, even 1 in 10, 000 being infected would mean over 5,000 cases. So keep it in perspective everyone. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibonacci_number?wprov=sfti1

3 hours ago, Surfer said:

You will have a different perspective in the next week or so. This is serious.

• Like 1

My understanding is that the risk of spread is far greater than you suggest Surfer. There is no natural immunity to the virus and no vaccine either, so no brake to its spread is applicable.

The evidence suggests that for most people, it will be a relatively minor illness. However, the current evidence for the mortality rate is between 1 and 2% and up to 10% for risk groups including asthmatics (which I am, hence my informed interest). 

First confirmed cases over here now, time to get out my kayak and tent and move to the uninhabited island 100m off shore in the  local bay . I'll  be taking my fishing  gear, shrimp and lobster pots, bow and arrow, plus  a  fully charged laptop so I dont miss Wednesdays  game.  Already checked the 4g... its booming in. 

Don't see what all fuss is about. It's not even a particularly fierce virus anyway. Only a death rate of 3%. No need for panic or moving to a remote island

33 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

Don't see what all fuss is about. It's not even a particularly fierce virus anyway. Only a death rate of 3%. No need for panic or moving to a remote island

At 3% that’s a hell of a lot of people that will die if this gets established 

1 minute ago, JF said:

At 3% that’s a hell of a lot of people that will die if this gets established 

That's a high estimate as the rate in Wuhan was a lot higher due to lack of preparedness. Now everyone is prepared to treat people it will most likely be less than 1%

Just now, NFN FC said:

That's a high estimate as the rate in Wuhan was a lot higher due to lack of preparedness. Now everyone is prepared to treat people it will most likely be less than 1%

Let’s put it this way. Governments don’t react the way that world governments are if it’s not incredibly serious. Everyone should be concerned and prepared for the worst and hope to hell it doesn’t spread. As for your comment about it not being a fierce virus. It is for people whose health is compromised, asthmatics, diabetics ect 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

In prior pandemics the death rate in the source country has actually been lower than in the countries it travels to, we could see a higher death rate outside of China.  

6 hours ago, Surfer said:

At that rate of growth we're only 7/8 days away from that. 

Compounding, Einstein's 8th wonder of the world. 

24 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

At that rate of growth we're only 7/8 days away from that. 

Compounding, Einstein's 8th wonder of the world. 

I am not sure it is doubling each day Teemu. If it does, it means 2.4m (by my quick fag on a packet maths) in another 8 days! Yet, I believe you are making a serious point. All depends on behaviour, the virus not mutating (as they do when they reach different populations incredibly) and government actions/leadership.