Sign in to follow this  
Chelm Canary

Back in the fight?

Still a massive task to overhaul three teams above us, but we've given ourselves a chance. 

If we are going to pull this miracle off, the win yesterday was crucial! Especially for the mental side of things imo. If we can get a result next pl game, then I think the belief will be coming back. Still a mountain to climb 

Yesterday's win was most welcome and will give everyone in and around the club a psychological boost. We still have a mountain to climb, though. It is imperative that we do not drop points in any of our relegation 'six-pointers' from here. We won't know if we have finally turned a corner until we put a run together. 

I'm still clinging to the hope, though, until it's mathematically impossible. 

9 minutes ago, Chip20 said:

I'm still clinging to the hope, though, until it's mathematically impossible. 

Yup, when maths relegates us, admit defeat, till then, we still have a fighting chance.

My favourite win of the season but I’d say a 10% chance at best at staying up. One myth to shatter is that non happy clappers want relegation. They obviously don’t, would love to be proved wrong and pay any pledges made with pleasure come the end of the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BarcelonaCanary said:

Perfect time and run of fixtures to go on a run. Time to replace Todd with Mario though 

Whilst I think it would be good to see Mario get a chance, Todd was probably our most positive and influential player for large chunks of last night's match. He'd need to come in for Duda or McLean, and sadly for Vrancic that looks to be Farkes preferred choice at the moment

10 per cent is about right. Still it's a straw to cling to for the optimistic.

Possible but unlikely is my take.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ricardo said:

10 per cent is about right. Still it's a straw to cling to for the optimistic.

Possible but unlikely is my take.

Still thats a bit of a swing from what you were saying (not entirely unfairly) at any stage over the last week or so. 

It's amazing what a result can do on here, lets hope it starts a run on the pitch too.

We have two home games in March and in April Brighton, Watford and WHU. It almost feels like it is still in our own hands even though there is still a lot of work to do.

24 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

If results go our way today then it does look like we've given ourselves a punchers chance. 

And even if they don't we still won't have lost any ground on the other relegation contenders.

Would settle for Brighton, Bournemouth and Watford losing and a draw for West Ham.

The Villa game in hand is Sheff Utd at home.

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

My favourite win of the season but I’d say a 10% chance at best at staying up. One myth to shatter is that non happy clappers want relegation. They obviously don’t, would love to be proved wrong and pay any pledges made with pleasure come the end of the season.

So these non happy clappers, whatever that means, need the team to win in order to lend their support.

The water's still choppy so it will be hard to climb back on board🙃

• Haha 1

Brighton controlling the game so far against Palace. Hopefully Zaha can turn all of his dribbling into an end product.

As for if we're back in the fight? We've never been out of it. Just as the ManU result didn't relegate us and the Man City win didn't save us, this league comes down to 38 matches. Our display against the top 6 teams in this league should prove to anyone watching that we're still going to grab points from the remaining fixtures. I've remained in the thought that we're staying up and last night obviously didn't hurt the cause. There are too many 6-pointers to come and I believe we have what it takes to stay up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

How many games do we need to win in order to stay up? Obviously it's impossible to know exactly what the other teams around us do, but I think we're looking at five wins from ten with a draw or two, or possibly four wins and three/four draws if we're lucky. 

I'd say five and a couple of draws. Like you say Wacky, even then it depends on the other teams. But we're still in the fight and only play one game at a time.🙃

Don't discount Brighton- their run is pretty tricky, including a trip to our patch, and they're only 5 points clear as it stands. Derby with Palace today, then Wolves (A), Arsenal (H),  Leicester (A), Man United (H),  Norwich (A), Liverpool (H), Man City (H), Southampton (A).

Maupay just cleared his own teammates header off the line, too.

Edited by Mason 47
Added Fixtures

I don’t think we’ll survive but I just want to see a bit of fight.

Liverpool and last night - Good

Wolves - What the hell are you doing

lets have some desire. We all know the players are capable.

Agree with Brighton's remaining schedule. If they can't secure 3 points against  this hapless Palace side they may find themselves in trouble come the end of the season.

And Maupay puts it right at the keeper...

I picked out Brighton after they surrendered to Bournemouth a few weeks back,  coupled with that 'VAR table' suggesting they've gotten out of jail more than a couple of times. Plus their awful next 8 games, I'd be a worried Brighton fan if they can't get back into this today.

Almost reminiscent of a Norwich performance today- good chances not being taken before a smash and grab at the other end to ruin everything.