Aggy

Handball tonight /handball rule

A lot of the pundits tonight saying it was definitely a handball “according to the new rule”.

Have to say, having seen it a couple of times, I think it’s a stonewall handball. He seems to control it on his hand, pulls his hand down towards him. Even under the old rule, I’d have felt pretty aggrieved if that wasn’t given I think. Exactly what VAR should be for.

What I don’t get, is the first replay we saw on Sky literally 5 seconds after it hit the net showed it was clearly handball. Then they showed 3 more angles, then zoomed away and showed it at a wide angle...WHY?! The first look was all you needed!

Just now, Canary Wundaboy said:

What I don’t get, is the first replay we saw on Sky literally 5 seconds after it hit the net showed it was clearly handball. Then they showed 3 more angles, then zoomed away and showed it at a wide angle...WHY?! The first look was all you needed!

Because whilst they wanted to find any opportunity to rule out Pukkis goal vs Spurs, they were even more desperate to try and give the goal Leicesters way.

If they're going to be consistent with it I'd much rather they always look to TRY and give the goal rather than the other way round. Problem is they'll never be consistent.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

And the co-commentator here kept on for the whole VAR saga and the rest of the game that he'd "seen it a few times and still wasn't convinced". Madness.

2 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I was sitting 60 yards away and I knew it was handball. Quite agree with you, why on earth did it take so long? I'm even more baffled with VAR after the European games in the week. They get it right incredibly quickly with no fuss. If they can do it why can't we? 

Handball is handball and that did look pretty clear from what they showed at the game.  In any case, IMO the rule is actually now better and totally clear, taking any doubt out of the decision. If a handball leads to a goal that is too much of a ‘gain’, accidental or not. 

• Like 1

The ball hits Godfrey's arm first and drops onto the Leicester players hand. I wonder if he had shot and missed whether Leicester would have had a free kick?

I called it as handball from the Upper Barclay FFS, how did the on field officials miss it?

It was clear to see that ball came under control from a body position that could have only been hand or arm.

4 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Godfrey handballed it first. A bit of VAR luck but who cares. 

In that case it should have been a free kick to Leicester. If the ref plays advantage then their player handballed & thereby gained an illegal advantage.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Godfrey handballed it first. A bit of VAR luck but who cares. 

I don’t think he did. Handball for a defender 40 yards out needs to be deliberate. Handball for a striker who scores with his next touch, the ball only has to touch his hand.

Godfrey definitely doesn’t deliberately handball it. Regardless of whether or not the attacker deliberately handballs it, it hits his hand and he scores straight after. 

It looks fairly deliberate by the attack to me as well though. 

9 hours ago, sgncfc said:

The ball hits Godfrey's arm first and drops onto the Leicester players hand. I wonder if he had shot and missed whether Leicester would have had a free kick?

I actually thought that it was more Godfrey's shoulder ...and have checked to try and confirm this  .... it's not easy to determine admittedly. 

Probably should have been allowed imo.  Yes, it hits his hand as the ball came down, but doesn't look deliberate to me or change the course of the ball. Var is turning football into a joke game, devoid of any spirit and although I would have hated to go one down of course, a "hint" of handball with 50/50 as to whether it was deliberate or not, should not have meant disallowing a goal.  We want goals and VAR is destroying too many.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

Probably should have been allowed imo.  Yes, it hits his hand as the ball came down, but doesn't look deliberate to me or change the course of the ball. Var is turning football into a joke game, devoid of any spirit and although I would have hated to go one down of course, a "hint" of handball with 50/50 as to whether it was deliberate or not, should not have meant disallowing a goal.  We want goals and VAR is destroying too many.

Under the new rules is had to be disallowed. It’s nothing to do with var. var are just implementing the rules and deliberate or not doesn’t come into it. Clearly brought the ball down with his hand and benefited by scoring a goal. Brendan Rodgers is an absolute hypocrite as well, strangely supporting the rule earlier in the season when it benefited them

9 hours ago, Aggy said:

I don’t think he did. Handball for a defender 40 yards out needs to be deliberate. Handball for a striker who scores with his next touch, the ball only has to touch his hand.

Godfrey definitely doesn’t deliberately handball it. Regardless of whether or not the attacker deliberately handballs it, it hits his hand and he scores straight after. 

It looks fairly deliberate by the attack to me as well though. 

Which is one of the fundamental issues with the rules/VAR in its current form.

4 minutes ago, JF said:

Under the new rules is had to be disallowed. It’s nothing to do with var. var are just implementing the rules and deliberate or not doesn’t come into it. Clearly brought the ball down with his hand and benefited by scoring a goal. Brendan Rodgers is an absolute hypocrite as well, strangely supporting the rule earlier in the season when it benefited them

Yes, I know it is the rule, my issue is with VAR, the rules and the implementation.  Too many goals are being lost due to VAR and it's forensic nonsense.

No, forensic nonsense is VAR being used for marginal offside decisions which the technology isn’t actually good enough to determine properly, in this case it obviously hits the attackers hand and he scores = no goal, under the rules that’s correct.

• Like 1

So it touched his hand - did it really alter the course of the ball or was it deliberate?  If not, then no offence has occured in the laws of the game, unless the laws have changed.

Is it difficult to say whether it was deliberate or not?  Then advantage should go to the attacker - we want to see goals - just like the nonsensical offside decisions - advantage should always be to the attacking player - unless he does something that is clearly wrong.

14 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

So it touched his hand - did it really alter the course of the ball or was it deliberate?  If not, then no offence has occured in the laws of the game, unless the laws have changed.

Is it difficult to say whether it was deliberate or not?  Then advantage should go to the attacker - we want to see goals - just like the nonsensical offside decisions - advantage should always be to the attacking player - unless he does something that is clearly wrong.

The handball law has changed

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

While I disagree with the offside decisions -as stated the technology just isn't there. I am actually happy with the handball rule (not just for the way it went last night) 

For me, it absolutely does alter the course of the ball - it brings it back towards Inhenacho which then hits his body and wrong foots Godfrey. It's handball all day for me. I've no problem with that being given.

Infantino has said VAR is here to stay but may require modifications to the laws, They are meeting this weekend.

12 months ago the only argument would have been should Godfey have dropped him. The goal would have stood and pundits could have argued all night. Neither player handled it deliberately and it was a cracking finish.

But as much as we hate it, VAR went in our favour.

It’s doesn’t matter now, the ball hit his hand and then he scored = no goal.

Doesn’t matter whether it diverted the ball or was deliberate or whatever. This is irrelevant when the attacker then scores, exactly as we saw last night.

IMO this rule change is spot on, it stops a player gaining an advantage and scoring after handling which is exactly what happened last night.

people need to get up to date!!