simmo_2

Kenny Mclean

How does he get in the team every week, the new Russel Martin - Farkes favourite. 
He creates absolute  nothing in attack, never makes a tackle (apart from when giving penalty away)

He was not in the best eleven team that got promoted and should not be in the current team.

How can he keep Emi Buendia out of the team when he is so inferior?

10 minutes ago, simmo_2 said:

Since when was Emi Buendia a holding midfielder? 😂🙄

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Since when was Emi Buendia a holding midfielder? 😂🙄

Is that what McLean is! Really.

A holding midfielder makes tackles not run beside players.

Also I thought Tettey was our holding midfielder or is he our holding holding midfielder because our holding midfielder (McLean) is so poor

Just now, simmo_2 said:

Is that what McLean is! Really.

A holding midfielder makes tackles not run beside players.

Also I thought Tettey was our holding midfielder or is he our holding holding midfielder because our holding midfielder (McLean) is so poor

Simmo - your chat stinks

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jaberry2 said:

Simmo - your chat stinks

So many fans I chat to can’t understand how he gets picked every match.

How many assists has McLean this season?

McLean is a box to box midfielder who is acknowledged as one of our few capable in the air. He has a bit more bite than Vrancic and a bit more mobility than Trybull.

Personally I don't think he works at this level as a strict CM- he's far too keen to dash forward and join attacks, which always gives Tettey too much to do. As I wrote on another thread, I would have him in a flatter 3 in CM giving him license to break forward without compromising us.

Well having lost Byram for the rest of the season dropping the Mayor would leave us well short of players who can win aerial challenges.

Personally I think he's a decent box-to-box midfielder, who like many of our squad hasn't quite made the necessary step up. To say he 'never makes a tackle' is, unfortunately, venturing into swivel-eyed loon territory.

He'll be a valuable squad member next season, and will probably be surplus to requirements if we go back up.

Personally Kenny has won me around with his performances ,it's just a shame he does not have many assists or goals to his name but I will bet on him to score Tonite.😄

• Like 3

The reality is that he outperformed Leitner at this level and that's why he plays.

Alternative is Vrancic who unfortunately got injured. I would like to see Vrancic given a chance and see him as a better player than McLean...

... But although McLean may not be Prem class, his place in the team may say more about the lack of quality competition for his place than it does how over rated he is by Farke. 

I'm sure Farke would have loved a £10m McLean upgrade but the money isn't there or wasn't made available.

Also, do we really need to slate our own players just before a game? Can't it at least wait until the final whistle? 

2 hours ago, simmo_2 said:

How does he get in the team every week, the new Russel Martin - Farkes favourite. 
He creates absolute  nothing in attack, never makes a tackle (apart from when giving penalty away)

He was not in the best eleven team that got promoted and should not be in the current team.

Eh?

No way. Just no. He may not be a fashionable furrenjur, but I don’t know how many times I’ve walked away from a game and thought ‘well, Pukki will grab the headlines but Kenny was quietly going about being at the heart of absolutely everything’. He’s a very consistent player, the thinking man’s footballer. Offers nothing in attack? He’s one of our best headers of the ball for starters, which tends to be quite helpful at both ends of the pitch (just ask a certain blue team in Manchester). And against Wolves last week, for the first 20mins before the team lost their way, I thought he was our best player, for someone who was playing holding midfielder and ‘offers nothing in attack’ he sure stung Patricio’s hands in that opening period with a fine shot from range. Do not be surprised if he is sought after in the summer window - we’re all talking about the kids going, but there’s one or two others that are flying under the radar too...

• Like 5

Apparently Doodah is Farke's favourite now so without doubt he'll be in the starting XI tonight although it might be hard to tell if he is actually on the pitch.

Just now, Making Plans said:

Apparently Doodah is Farke's favourite now so without doubt he'll be in the starting XI tonight although it might be hard to tell if he is actually on the pitch.

I have a sneaking feeling Duda’s going to score a beauty tonight. And according to the stats he’s been our 2nd best player this season 😜

When he has a good game he has a really good game but most of the time he comes up a bit short. Also often fades badly in the second half.

Bit more pace than some, wins some headers but do we play better football with him in the team? No.

He's alright as a CM. He does give us a little extra in the air. 

If we had his aerial presence, vrancic's vision and Tettey's holding skills combined into one player we would have a decent prem standard DM. Anyone know a good genetic engineer? 

Personally I would play Vrancic and Godfrey in the DM positions when possible (and I know Godfrey doesn't even think he is best in that position, but in my opinion he's wrong 😂). Just so we had some strength to protect Vrancic so he can play those killer balls upfield. Let's face it, a 3 year old could muscle Mario off the ball. 

Anyway, McLean, average champ midfielder. Always tries his best though. I can't knock his attitude. 

33 minutes ago, GJP said:

When he has a good game he has a really good game but most of the time he comes up a bit short. Also often fades badly in the second half.

Bit more pace than some, wins some headers but do we play better football with him in the team? No.

But those really good games are quite rare. I've watched every minute of every game this season and I cant remember one. He had a couple last season but for me, his performances range between 5-7 out of 10.  Lets hope he has a blinder tonight.

2 hours ago, simmo_2 said:

So many fans I chat to can’t understand how he gets picked every match.

How many assists has McLean this season?

I dont know what fans you're talking to then. He does much more than you seem to give him credit for.

Incidentally, how many assists has Tettey got this season? Just as relevant a question.

Now personally, I would prefer to see Vrancic starting in this make or break time for what he can offer going forward, but that isn't to say I can't appreciate (like so many) what Kenny offers. It's just different.

Edited by Flying Dutchman

Dear Simmo_2

I am very relieved that you are not the Norwich Manager/Coach, but you are entitled to your views.

Regards

Norfolk Dumpling

Edited by Norfolk Dumpling
Mistake
  • Like 1

Interesting to hear one of the pundits say that they wondered whether we might use Buendia's skill in and around the box more, meaning in Duda's position.

I have advocated that but on the other hand his performance last night showed how much we might miss him in his normal position.

MacLean did OK last night and apart from that stupid lunge which could have seen him gone, he helped keep Leicester quiet through the middle. They caused us problems with width but not through the centre.

Talking of lunges, I would like to see the Jonny Evans one on Buendia again. He looked like he was of his feet and technically out of control. Does the law say it isn't a red card if you don't injure anyone.

Personally I don’t rate McLean but we are short in that position. I also think him being 6 foot might be one of the reasons for his inclusion. Looking at our side last night, apart from Hanley, we our quite a weak side especially in the air. When Aaron’s, Lewis and godfrey all play in our back four together, we tend to look vulnerable from set pieces. For me Godfrey should be playing in mcleans role but needs must at the moment and farke seems to prefer him at the back. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think McLean is very much the type of player Farke favours, along with Rupp and Duda. He's tidy, reliable, confident on the ball and covers a lot of ground but without providing anything exceptional.

Fortunately that tackle last night was so late he missed the player as well as the ball.

Would have been sent off for that knee high wild lunge to stop their break last night, luckily he missed!

4 hours ago, JF said:

Would have been sent off for that knee high wild lunge to stop their break last night, luckily he missed!

Laughed out loud at that. It was so late and he missed by a yard.

I sometimes wonder what people want from our players. Maclean is a good player and contributed well yesterday in a very good win. Can't understand why someone would start a thread like this just before a match either.