Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Today’s headlines.......all game nul and void

9 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Why the panic ? When the Flu is more deadlier !

There are flu jabs that work for those considered vulnerable, there is nothing for this. We don’t really know the mortality rates yet, and also as I understand the virus could yet mutate ?. It also lives for a long time outside the body.

10 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

This is the thing I do not get about the huge media coverage of the new coronavirus outbreak, it is apparently a mild disease, mortality rates are low, usually the elderly or those with underlying health problems, just like flu but not quite as deadly as flu can be. I believe 1600 in the UK were killed by complications from contracting flu last year, and something like 26,000 were killed in the 2017/18 UK flu season........

5 minutes ago, JF said:

Yeah I did edit my post that the tweet I originally saw had it wrong, going to be interesting to see how this transpires, situation isn’t going away anytime soon

Yep let’s hope the Spring kills it off. 
Young fit guys and girls don’t seem to have to much to worry about. I am 59 and a type 2 diabetic so I wouldn’t like to get it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

This is the thing I do not get about the huge media coverage of the new coronavirus outbreak, it is apparently a mild disease, mortality rates are low, usually the elderly or those with underlying health problems, just like flu but not quite as deadly as flu can be. I believe 1600 in the UK were killed by complications from contracting flu last year, and something like 26,000 were killed in the 2017/18 UK flu season........

And if this gets established you can add the figures from this on top of the flu ones. Surely it’s in everyone’s interest to do all that can be done to stop this from being established and potentially taking 100s of thousands / millions of lives? 

16 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

It isn't.

The R nought of influenza is 1.6. This looks to be coming out at between 3 and 4. The R nought number is the amount of people one person can infect on average.

If the death rate of Covid 19 is 2 percent then it is 20 times more deadly than seasonal flu.

The real problem is the high number that need ICU treatment. 

4 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Those with underlying conditions and the elderly have a flu jab which is very effective, there is no protection for this. We also do not yet know if it is seasonal.

1 minute ago, JF said:

And if this gets established you can add the figures from this on top of the flu ones. Surely it’s in everyone’s interest to do all that can be done to stop this from being established and potentially taking 100s of thousands / millions of lives? 

Do not get me wrong, I am not suggesting that for a minute, I am glad the authorities are doing all they can to contain the spread.....

At the end of the day, Coronavirus seems to just be a strong version of the flu. The symptoms and effects are the same, just a bit worse, hence why Coronavirus kills about 2% and flu is around 0.1%, but in both cases it's usually only the elderly or those with significant health problems.

I mentioned in the off-topic thread that being injured in a road accident is far more likely, at least in the short term, than contracting coronavirus but nobody is bothered by getting in a car, and I stand by that.

However, this does need to be nipped in the bud before it becomes a regular part and parcel of everyday life, just like the normal flu, but I'm confident that vaccines, human defences and the summer will nullify it before it becomes too much of a problem. It's being blown out of proportion a bit, I feel.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

2 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Those with underlying conditions and the elderly have a flu jab which is very effective, there is no protection for this. We also do not yet know if it is seasonal.

I understand that, however 26,000 people in the UK died from flu related complications in the 2017/18 flu season.......

18 minutes ago, ricardo said:

It isn't.

The R nought of influenza is 1.6. This looks to be coming out at between 3 and 4. The R nought number is the amount of people one person can infect on average.

If the death rate of Covid 19 is 2 percent then it is 20 times more deadly than seasonal flu.

The real problem is the high number that need ICU treatment. 

Ricardo is spot on with his statistics. This is far more serious than flu. At the moment our hospitals are at 95% capacity and would be unable to cope. This would create a serious knock on effect for patients with other conditions. 

Someone else has suggested that this virus will be killed off by warmer weather. The only evidence available so far from warmer climates suggests that this is not the case. 

If you want to know how serious it is, have a look at global stock markets. The people with a lot of money are putting it in gold. That should worry us all. 

Because it is on top of the normal flu that hits every winter. And as Ricardo pointed out the Rnought figure makes it three times more likely to spread. And if it gets to the UK on a epidemic basis, then the vulnerable will be at terrible risk. And you can contract both flu viruses.

22 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

However, this does need to be nipped in the bud before it becomes a regular part and parcel of everyday life, just like the normal flu, but I'm confident that vaccines, human defences and the summer will nullify it before it becomes too much of a problem. It's being blown out of proportion a bit, I feel.

There will be no vaccine for at least a year.

For those who think its just a bad bout of the flu.

Entire economies are closing down, whole towns and cities are quarantined and surrounded by armed police to prevent any movement, countries are closing their borders with infected countries, airflights to the most badly affected have been stopped, the government has schedulled a COBRA meeting. 

But of course this happens every year with the flu doen't it?

Errrrrrrr

Oh wait.

7 minutes ago, ricardo said:

There will be no vaccine for at least a year.

For those who think its just a bad bout of the flu.

Entire economies are closing down, whole towns and cities are quarantined and surrounded by armed police to prevent any movement, countries are closing their borders with infected countries, airflights to the most badly affected have been stopped, the government has schedulled a COBRA meeting. 

But of course this happens every year with the flu doen't it?

Errrrrrrr

Oh wait.

That's purely because it needs to be eliminated before it spreads. Regular flu attacks hundreds of millions each year worldwide and kills tens of thousands, but it's so widespread that it can't really be contained. With coronavirus, which has about 80,000 cases and only about 2-3,000 outside of China, there's hope it can be isolated and wiped out before it becomes widespread, because if it becomes a worldwide epidemic and infects hundreds of millions each year then a mortality rate of 1% is very high, which is why governments are trying to quarantine those affected and stop the spread while they still can.

13 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

The market impact is worrying me more than anything else atm, things could devolve into full-blown panic very quickly with companies being made worthless.

Prepare for helicopter money. They have already done it in Hong Kong, issueing every citizen with 10k HK dollars.

4 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

It would be the most tainted title ever and that suits me fine. Liverpool tears taste really nice!

Considering they did us out of European seasons I would happily settle for a nul and void.😉

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Prepare for helicopter money. They have already done it in Hong Kong, issueing every citizen with 10k HK dollars.

Awesome. I’ll be buying Apple or Amazon outright when they are worthless then 😀

22 minutes ago, JF said:

Awesome. I’ll be buying Apple or Amazon outright when they are worthless then 😀

Thats the spirit.😀

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Thats the spirit.😀

King of my own post apocalyptic empire 👍

It is very surprising that some folk seem to underplay the importance of this virus given the considerably robust responses being made by many national governments. A 2% rate of death coupled with 3 or 4 times the infection rate of 'normal' flu should concern people. That rate would mean just about everyone in the country would know someone affected. Rates of death are higher for those over 70 but are still relatively high for those over 40. Don't think for one minute that our over-stretched NHS will cope. This disease could bring down this government. We had better hope this is indeed 'nipped in the bud'. Again we are hearing though that for the first time there are many cases of infection that cannot be traced back to a source (but must have been transmitted, person to person).

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

Well apart from those Serie A games off, of course Switzerland have called off all their football games and today France have banned any gatherings of 5000 or more people...im presuming that includes sporting events such as football. So while there are no immediate plans to cancel football games here, the screw is turning towards that scenario more and more and now has to be a real possibility at some point  in the future.

Literally seen a handful of people with hankies today. Ffs call the season off, won’t somebody think of the children 

The potential to over react and cause potentially more problems in society is very real! We’re entering a very dangerous time, which could end up with curfews and martial law, panic buying and shortages of food and fuel. The reality is it kills the same % as this years flu strain which will they estimate take out 30,000 people.

Given that it’s the elderly and those susceptible in diabetes or respiratory conditions, the sensible way forward is to ensure those who are susceptible are cared for and the first to be treated, the rest will just become resilient to it.

Maybe it’s just me, but really not sure the global reaction is actually the right way to combat this. Self isolation comes too late as you may well have been a carrier for days before just like flu without any knowledge.

Its going to be end of the year before a vaccine is on the market and a good 18 months before it’ll be globally available, so the priority must be to use it on the vulnerable first.

For me it’s a massive reaction driven by global social media network and press, not sure how your ever going to contain this type of outbreak, I thinks it’s more important to fast track the vaccine.

• Like 1

Apparently a dog in Hong Kong has tested positive for the virus. It’s owner had tested positive for the virus in early February

Always remember the news industry is just that. An industry. And industries need to sell their product - & the best selling news is always the worst, thus we are forever being told that everything is in perpetual crisis. Until it's yesterday's crisis because a new & even worse one has just arrived ...

10 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Always remember the news industry is just that. An industry. And industries need to sell their product - & the best selling news is always the worst, thus we are forever being told that everything is in perpetual crisis. Until it's yesterday's crisis because a new & even worse one has just arrived ...

This board isn't an industry but "the worst" and a "perpetual crisis" keeps it busy...

4 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

This board isn't an industry but "the worst" and a "perpetual crisis" keeps it busy...

I believe you’ve just described the Scum in two statements! 👍😂

This so called figure of 2% deaths from the coronavirus is actually a misleading  figure, as it includes ongoing active cases...in other words persons whose fate has yet to be determined. The most realistic stat is from persons who have had an outcome..that is...either recovered from coronavirus or died from it. Of the approximate 40,000 who have had an outcome...either recovered or died from coronavirus...the figure for deaths is 7% not 2%. Check a coronavirus ongoing  running table such as Worldometer for the info.

• Like 1