Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Today’s headlines.......all game nul and void

If real games were to be cancelled, I propose the rest of the season should be played out on Playstation. Each club should sign either a top PS player (in which case big clubs would play astronomical sums to sign champions of virtual football) or the players should be   picked from among regular team members. The lineup and tactics would be  decided by the managers as they'd normally do. Games should be televised with panel discussions and interviews as normal, with perhaps even cuts to the manager in his area and (real) players on the subs' bench, only they'd take place in a safe, virus-free virtual environment. The points gained, however,  would be real. Whadduya think?      

16 hours ago, Essjayess said:

Well apart from those Serie A games off, of course Switzerland have called off all their football games and today France have banned any gatherings of 5000 or more people...im presuming that includes sporting events such as football. So while there are no immediate plans to cancel football games here, the screw is turning towards that scenario more and more and now has to be a real possibility at some point  in the future.

If the same thing happens over here the binners will still be able to "enjoy" watching their team. 

• Haha 1

Article today ...worrying statistics on exponential spread rates (modelled). And if 3 months shows such a big increase you can see the Euros being cancelled.

Epidemics expert Jonathan Quick: ‘The worst-case scenario for coronavirus is likely’

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/01/the-worst-case-scenario-for-coronavirus-dr-jonathan-quick-q-and-a-laura-spinney?

Edited by sonyc

I tend to think this is all an over reaction.. ok I get large crowds are seemingly a bad idea when trying to control a virus but, unless everyone is going to stay indoors for 2 weeks with no human contact, no one going to work,shopping, out to restaurants  or pubs etc I cant see how stopping spotting events is really going to help.

Perhaps  if things get that bad, the whole world closing down for 2 weeks,24 hour curfews etc might actually cause less issues in the long run..

1 minute ago, glory.win or die. said:

I tend to think this is all an over reaction.. ok I get large crowds are seemingly a bad idea when trying to control a virus but, unless everyone is going to stay indoors for 2 weeks with no human contact, no one going to work,shopping, out to restaurants  or pubs etc I cant see how stopping spotting events is really going to help.

Perhaps  if things get that bad, the whole world closing down for 2 weeks,24 hour curfews etc might actually cause less issues in the long run..

Well, satellite images over China in the last week have shown huge reductions in air pollution!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Well, satellite images over China in the last week have shown huge reductions in air pollution!

Yep, also fuel prices have dropped apparently because of reduced consumption in China.

this is pretty much how China had been tackling it and it appears to have cut down the number of new cases there dramatically (if the numbers are accurate).

much Chinese manufacturing has shut down. As it happens I ordered a new fountain pen from Amazon for £3.99 a few weeks back and last week I had an apologetic email from the supplier in China saying they had to cancel and “these are difficult times”.

Questions for me are, can they sustain this in China long enough to stamp it out, or will numbers there start to climb again? And can we in the west contain it or is it going to become widespread? 

26 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Yep, also fuel prices have dropped apparently because of reduced consumption in China.

this is pretty much how China had been tackling it and it appears to have cut down the number of new cases there dramatically (if the numbers are accurate).

much Chinese manufacturing has shut down. As it happens I ordered a new fountain pen from Amazon for £3.99 a few weeks back and last week I had an apologetic email from the supplier in China saying they had to cancel and “these are difficult times”.

Questions for me are, can they sustain this in China long enough to stamp it out, or will numbers there start to climb again? And can we in the west contain it or is it going to become widespread? 

Well ICF, I live up north and 3 cases have been confirmed today in the Leeds/Bradford area (all 3 have been in either Italy/Iran in the last 2 weeks). Plus case numbers increased 40% in Italy I've just read in 24 hours. I've been an interested observer in this (son's girlfriend was working in China before the outbreak). I've felt very unnerved by how the Chinese authorities reported it when it emerged. The whole thing just felt  inconsistent, as if they knew something was going to explode.

Whilst I may be being alarmist and I don't intend to be, I fear for the state of our NHS in coping. I know it's been under such pressure for a good decade, not just a political point here, though certainly it's been under funded (know folk working and former consultancy / business development experience) as well as demographic changes and folk living longer of course.... but also there is a real problem with the care system interface and the NHS.

Drafting former military doctors in like some kind of dad's army just won't hack it! I feel it's going to become very serious and could even bring down the government ahead. 

The WW1 flu pandemic changed the whole social and economic climate in the decade after.

I really hope my worry is unfounded. It will be an issue that dwarfs any football-related matter for sure if it spreads. My biggest fear is we may soon read about thousands being affected. I base all of this on what (independent) experts are saying. I'm also unsure whether we as a nation can handle any possible civic restrictions should towns and cities be 'shut down' as alluded to today. I'm very worried. I wish I didn't feel like this too 

Edited by sonyc

Is this nature’s way of cleansing the overpopulation, realignment of climate and a shift in human way of life?

Sonyc you and everyone should be worried, the wrong reaction by the authorities and anarchy will could take hold. Yes worst case scenario is a lockdown in many countries but a lockdown will mean serious martial law which could inspire those in charge to dictate the future rather than serve the will of the people.....long way from reality, but a possibility none the less in some countries.

Edited by Indy

Fibonacci numbers Indy. ..... scientists are modelling the increase in numbers. 

Let's just hope the effects are mild for many people.

2 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Everyone’s going to get it

I think that's the truth and the government are just trying not to cause panic else given the 14 day supposed incubation period many will already have it but be unaware. 

Oddly, I'd rather get it sooner rather than later when the NHs can still cope !

3 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I think that's the truth and the government are just trying not to cause panic else given the 14 day supposed incubation period many will already have it but be unaware. 

Oddly, I'd rather get it sooner rather than later when the NHs can still cope !

Too many people have it. It can only be slowed at this point. The virus is one thing but the infrastructure damage, loss in productivity and general panic are what will really cause issues.