Sign in to follow this  
wooster

Athletic piece on stats re Buendia

It's certainly a very risky strategy.  I could understand it (and said so) for Liverpool, where we knew we wouldn't have much of the ball or Emi might get caught in possession more often.  But the games are running out and we need wins in the games against teams around us and a couple of unexpected results against Leicester, Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City, who we face before the end of the season.  Everton and Sheff Utd are chasing a European place too.

26 minutes ago, king canary said:

It's a **** masterplan if so.

And let’s not forget that earlier this season, a lot of fans were calling for Buendia to be dropped because he wasn’t looking very good at all. Farke dropped him, rested him, made him take nothing for granted, then brought him back in and surprise surprise his performances all bar goal scoring finally started to improve. So, his master plan arguably worked then.

16 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

And let’s not forget that earlier this season, a lot of fans were calling for Buendia to be dropped because he wasn’t looking very good at all. Farke dropped him, rested him, made him take nothing for granted, then brought him back in and surprise surprise his performances all bar goal scoring finally started to improve. So, his master plan arguably worked then.

The problem with this masterplan right now (as Woodman pointed out above) is we're fast running out of games. Dropping your best player for 3 games in order to prove a point seems unwise when it only leaves us with 10 games to make up an 8 point gap on 17th...

I doubt Farke picks a team to prove a point.

It's a tough one and I'm glad i'm not manager. Needing to win games in the PL of course means we have to score goals. But concede the first goal and we have a mountain to climb. I can see where Emi could get us the first goal. I can also see where he could cost us the first goal.

Having said all that I hope Emi starts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

The problem with this masterplan right now (as Woodman pointed out above) is we're fast running out of games. Dropping your best player for 3 games in order to prove a point seems unwise when it only leaves us with 10 games to make up an 8 point gap on 17th...

Don’t think Farke’s in charge of the fixtures, who they are, and when they come. Tried to go a bit more defensively sound against 3 possibly 4 opponents in the hope of nicking points in games we’re not expected to get anything from (and also by many of our own supporters by all accounts). Bring Buendia back for the run against mid table and below where we can risk being more expansive and go for break. Especially against the strongest teams like Liverpool which will hurt you, I can quite see why Farke’s clearly fed up with Emi sat on his **** after losing the ball looking at the ref whilst the opposition attack - he should get up immediately and work hard to win the ball back, just like he did so effectively last season. There are no 2 ways about that, he needs to pull his socks up in that respect and most people can see that. 

• Like 3

Masterclasses discussed many times a player’s net effect. This is precisely the kind of ‘stat’ that Managers calculate at the top level. Beckham was a wonderful example of a player who was hard-working and diligent defensively, with his set pieces and goals a bonus on top of that. He ‘costs’ you nothing and gains you a lot. He was deeply respected and loved for this in Italy, it is highly prized.

The Premier League has very few ‘free hits’ in it. Teams are well-structured, carefully tactically drilled and designed to give little away. As the best teams gets richer and stronger, denying space and opportunity via drilling, physicality and regimented tactical positioning is a pre-requisite.

It can be argued that you are often only as good as your weakest link in modern football at the top level and it will be exploited. Weaker teams may be considered to be most at risk when they open up their shape when attacking and trying to score. 

Fans love to see Emi driving at opponents and creating opportunities and this is great. However the equation remains how much do you gain and how much do you lose? Opponents certainly wait for Emi to over play and run off the back of him. At this level being a man down and out of shape tactically can easily and often cause you to concede. 

If your risk-taking scores you two and costs you three repeatedly and consistently, you will equally go down. Farke’s point is key, Emi does not score. He doesn’t often shoot. If he did you could conceivably play him at 10 and amortise his weaknesses. 

If he flails his arms around, sits on the floor, doesn’t track his runner and lets the opposition have a free overload at Premier League level he becomes a liability. Opposition teams - unlike fans - do not just focus on the good bits..

..I would still start him tonight though 🤣...

Parma 

Edited by Parma Ham's gone mouldy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I understand to some degree Farke's stance on Buendia. And he really doesn't help himself by storming down the tunnel or throwing his arms about with the petulance of a two year old being refused Peppa Pig. 

However, It frustrates me when I hear Farke cite the need to be solid as a key factor in Emi's absence. Trying to be solid, essentially playing Mclean, Tettey and Rupp, is proving to be fruitless - The outcome is still consistently no wins. 

So instead of persisting with players such as Mclean and Tettey, who literally come up against better players every week, why don't we go with the Likes of Buendia, Vrancic and Leitner more, who do have attributes that are better than some opposition players at this level. Tettey and Mclean are consistent performers, but at the same time consistently just under the required standard at this level. 

Edited by Il Pirata

30 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Masterclasses discussed many times a player’s net effect. This is precisely the kind of ‘stat’ that Managers calculate at the top level. Beckham was a wonderful example of a player who was hard-working and diligent defensively, with his set pieces and goals a bonus on top of that. He ‘costs’ you nothing and gains you a lot. He was deeply respected and loved for this in Italy, it is highly prized.

The Premier League has very few ‘free hits’ in it. Teams are well-structured, carefully tactically drilled and designed to give little away. As the best teams gets richer and stronger, denying space and opportunity via drilling, physicality and regimented tactical positioning is a pre-requisite.

It can be argued that you are often only as good as your weakest link in modern football at the top level and it will be exploited. Weaker teams may be considered to be most at risk when they open up their shape when attacking and trying to score. 

Fans love to see Emi driving at opponents and creating opportunities and this is great. However the equation remains how much do you gain and how much do you lose? Opponents certainly wait for Emi to over play and run off the back of him. At this level being a man down and out of shape tactically can easily and often cause you to concede. 

If your risk-taking scores you two and costs you three repeatedly and consistently, you will equally go down. Farke’s point is key, Emi does not score. He doesn’t often shoot. If he did you could conceivably play him at 10 and amortise his weaknesses. 

If he flails his arms around, sits on the floor, doesn’t track his runner and lets the opposition have a free overload at Premier League level he becomes a liability. Opposition teams - unlike fans - do not just focus on the good bits..

..I would still start him tonight though 🤣...

Parma 

Spot on, Parma - exactly that! 👍🏼

• Like 1

Almost a perfect example tonight of why he is such a tricky one. Our best player all game. Defended well as well as his usual self going forward. But then with five minutes to go gives the ball away easily thirty yards out from Leicester’s goal leading to a break which could easily have cost us. The tv picked up Aarons clearly having a go at “Emi” immediately afterwards. The freekick in stoppage time as well - keep it in the corner, don’t chip it into the box!