Sign in to follow this  
benchwarmer

Relegation points total

20 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

I think it's the standard of the poor teams that has improved & that makes this season very difficult for us. It's not only incredibly physical but incredibly skilful, in its general standard. Some teams have put in rubbish performances occasionally, but they're all capable of stringing a run of results together - look at teams like Southampton, Burnley, Brighton, Watford (God knows how Newcastle have managed to get where they are though).

The reason for this is simply the money behind it & the resultant utter desperation of teams to stay in the PL. The billionaire backers behind virtually all the clubs will pay any money to get the best players in the world & sack managers who don't have instant success.  It's the highest stakes poker game in the world.

If we do make it, it truly will be a miracle!

But it’s always been that way. I believe it was Sunderland one season putting a ridiculous run together that subsequently relegated us, we’re judging the rest of the league against our own standard, we’ve had countless opportunities to put a run together and close the gap but every time we fall short, we’ve not been good enough for this level. The money has always been there and has always been spent, we as a club have just failed to adapt to it a bit more this time. In previous outings here we could grind out a result or two, but we’re incredibly easily beaten at this level this time around. Teams know that they just have to wait for their opportunity to turn us over in possession when we are overly committed going forwards, and it happens time and again every match 

Edited by JF

11 minutes ago, JF said:

But it’s always been that way. I believe it was Sunderland one season putting a ridiculous run together that subsequently relegated us. The money has always been there and has always been spent, we as a club have just failed to adapt to it a bit more this time. In previous outings here we could grind out a result or two, but we’re incredibly easily beaten at this level this time around. Teams know that they just have to wait for their opportunity to turn us over in possession when we are overly committed going forwards, and it happens time and again every match 

Yes but it's getting worse every year, simply because of the money behind it. Teams are now built for Pulis-ball but have much higher skill levels. Average  PL players exhibit uniformly high levels of ability, & it's getting higher every year. It's Darwinian.

There's more intelligence going on as well. Other managers have identified our weakness & gone for the jugular; Wolves was our season in a nutshell. Opposition players become switched on when we we lose the ball & pile into our box at every opportunity. We've managed to recover in previous games, but the cumulative effect is starting to tell.

We've got the skill, but not the strength.

7 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Yes but it's getting worse every year, simply because of the money behind it. Teams are now built for Pulis-ball but have much higher skill levels. Average  PL players exhibit uniformly high levels of ability, & it's getting higher every year. It's Darwinian.

There's more intelligence going on as well. Other managers have identified our weakness & gone for the jugular; Wolves was our season in a nutshell. Opposition players become switched on when we we lose the ball & pile into our box at every opportunity. We've managed to recover in previous games, but the cumulative effect is starting to tell.

We've got the skill, but not the strength.

“We’ve got the skill, but not the strength.”

As said this is where the real issue probably lies. I don’t believe we are up against anything different than we ever have been before at this level. There are plenty of very average teams and plenty of opportunities to pick up points, we’ve just failed to adapt. For all our lovely football, and at times it has been superb we’re just not good enough at this level. There is nothing to be ashamed of about that. We’ve rightly in my opinion given the players that got us here a crack at this level. The reason we are going down is because they weren’t good enough,  or maybe ready yet to make the step up. It’s not that the level is any higher than in previous seasons 

Edited by JF

I don't know about the overall standard, but it seems to me that every team has players that can hurt any other team and that there are not many teams who look poor or just park the bus away from home, even against the top teams - they are all able to cause other teams problems. It makes for a very competitive league and perhaps that should be the measure of the league - that it is the most competitive.  Liverpool are (unfortunately) the exception and seem to have everything right in their set up, but I hope they continue to do well as they play some of our rivals in the next few weeks.

18 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Yes!!! Really!! It is!!

I've been watching for 49 years now. The technical standard is higher than it's ever been before. The players are fitter than they've ever been before. The players are faster than they've ever been before. The players are bigger and stronger than they've ever been before. Teams are better coached and better organised than they've ever been before.  None of this is remotely surprising because the Premier League is the richest League in the world.

And your mention of European tournaments is frankly a bit weird. You do know that the Champions League final last season was between two English teams right? You do know that the Europa League final last season was between two English teams right?

You do know that there are 4 English teams in the last 16 of the Champions League this season right? 

Last season I would have agreed, but this year we could lose 3 teams at the last 16 stage, def 2. Have others caught up or are we going backwards ?. In the EPL Liverpool have played 27 W26 D1. In the CL they have P 7 W4 L 2 D 1, conceding at a much higher rate than in the EPL.

Liverpool lost their 1st leg KO with what was considered their strongest team, which they haven’t played regular in the EPL

• Like 1

I honestly don't get why folk are trying so hard to say this season's PL is weak. I can only assume it's an attempt to make 20th even worse than 20th if that's possible. Reminds me of "it's worse than that he's dead Jim".

Surely all these comparisons are clearly flawed. If you believe the standard of the PL can fluctuate and be judged by performances in Europe then why can't the other countries standards fluctuate?

You may as well say Bournemouth stayed up comfortably last season so this season's PL must be much stronger. Or Leicester finished 9th last season so this season's PL must be much weaker.

Just observing a few non-Norwich games on TV it's very obvious that "there's only a small gap between the Premier League and the Championship" is complete nonsense. And I'm not surprised that Sheff Utd are doing well, as they were the team of the season last year IMO, despite the fact that we won the league. The Premier League is VERY physical, and VERY skillful, and that's why it's so difficult to do well as a promoted team with smaller ball control type players, especially if that ball control goes off the boil. 

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

Last season I would have agreed, but this year we could lose 3 teams at the last 16 stage, def 2. Have others caught up or are we going backwards ?. In the EPL Liverpool have played 27 W26 D1. In the CL they have P 7 W4 L 2 D 1, conceding at a much higher rate than in the EPL.

Liverpool lost their 1st leg KO with what was considered their strongest team, which they haven’t played regular in the EPL

Yes. It’s hard to make the point that this is the strongest PL season ever when our teams are not exactly pulling up trees against European opposition. Bayern absolutely destroying Spurs and Chelsea and last night Arsenal going out to a Greek team. I also can’t take the claim that this is the strongest PL season ever seriously when by the end of February Liverpool are 22 points clear of second place!

Edited by JF

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

I honestly don't get why folk are trying so hard to say this season's PL is weak. I can only assume it's an attempt to make 20th even worse than 20th if that's possible. Reminds me of "it's worse than that he's dead Jim".

Surely all these comparisons are clearly flawed. If you believe the standard of the PL can fluctuate and be judged by performances in Europe then why can't the other countries standards fluctuate?

You may as well say Bournemouth stayed up comfortably last season so this season's PL must be much stronger. Or Leicester finished 9th last season so this season's PL must be much weaker.

Stop trying to portray an attempt at Norwich bashing when there is nothing like that here. It’s merely a discussion based on a claim that this is the strongest top flight season ever. This is a discussion board after all...

Edited by JF

21 minutes ago, JF said:

Stop trying to portray an attempt at Norwich bashing when there is nothing like that here. It’s merely a discussion based on a claim that this is the strongest top flight season ever. This is a discussion board after all...

Indeed, and surely my post is part of that discussion.

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Yes, portraying it as posters bashing Norwich

5 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Do you agree that this is the strongest PL season ever then? Are the players faster than they have ever been before? Are they stronger than they have ever been before? That’s the claim here. I think it’s nonsense myself 

Edited by JF

1 minute ago, JF said:

Do you agree that this is the strongest PL season ever then? Are the players faster than they have ever been before? Are they stronger than they have ever been before? That’s the claim here. I think it’s nonsense myself 

I posted my opinion on the post you seem to think I wasn't entitled to make.

Just now, JF said:

Do you agree that this is the strongest PL season ever then? Are the players faster than they have ever been before? Are the stronger than they have ever been before? That’s the claim here. I think it’s nonsense myself 

I'm not sure if this is the best premier league ever but I'd definitely suggest the average say 'quality' of the top 6 or 7 teams is now closer to that of the next 7 or so teams than it ever has been before. My point being that the league doesn't actually have to be at it's best for it to be getting harder and harder for teams like us to survive in. Credit to Sheffield United.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I'm not the one saying "stop posting your opinion".

I didn’t say stop posting your opinion. I said stop portraying others opinions as Norwich bashing when that isn’t the case

Just now, JF said:

I didn’t say stop posting your opinion. I said stop portraying others opinions as Norwich bashing when that isn’t the case

If I'm not breaking forum rules and have the same rights as other posters so there's no need for me to stop.

So what do you think about the relative performances of various teams in various seasons? Leicester and Bournemouth examples?How about how teams cope with relegation? Stoke, established in the PL but find it difficult to even stay in the Champs?

20 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

If I'm not breaking forum rules and have the same rights as other posters so there's no need for me to stop.

So what do you think about the relative performances of various teams in various seasons? Leicester and Bournemouth examples?How about how teams cope with relegation? Stoke, established in the PL but find it difficult to even stay in the Champs?

Fine. Continue to push the every post that doesn’t fall in line mantra as posters bashing the club then. My opinion has been said several times on this thread. I don’t believe the league is any stronger than it ever has been and the players are not faster or stronger! As for Leicester, they are doing superbly but they did win the league a few seasons back so not exactly a surprise that they are performing again with players like Vardy. For Bournemouth see teams like Wigan, their time will come to drop again. As for Stoke, I’ve no idea what’s going on there but It’s certainly a warning that next season we can’t take anything for granted again 

Edited by JF

15 minutes ago, JF said:

Fine. Continue to push the every post that doesn’t fall in line mantra as posters bashing the club then.

Fall in line?

Mantra?

Every post?

Club bashing?

It's worse than that...

You're the one who wants posters gagged🤭🙃

12 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Fall in line?

Mantra?

Every post?

Club bashing?

It's worse than that...

You're the one who wants posters gagged🤭🙃

So calling you out on portraying posters opinions as them bashing the club is wanting you ‘gagged’? I’m sure you have plenty to say without the need to continue to portray non existent club bashing...

30 minutes ago, JF said:

So calling you out on portraying posters opinions as them bashing the club is wanting you ‘gagged’? I’m sure you have plenty to say without the need to continue to portray non existent club bashing...

LOL

I don't know why you are so upset about my post but just to be clear you telling me to stop posting was what I was referring to when I said you wanted posters gagged.

You have to accept, like I do, that posters won't fall in line with what you believe they should post.