Sign in to follow this  
Since 1980

Time for a clear out

Now it's inevitable some/few of our best will go this summer. However, there are some who don't cut the mustard, had use that phrase as it's the home. So who do fans feels should be let go? Some should make room for new blood, or even the odd older more experienced player.

• Sad 1

I think this will be the first summer for a long time where I’m thinking all of the senior players deserve to stay on another season. We’ve got rid of a lot of the deadwood, infact that’s what Stuart and Daniel have been doing ever since they came here. I guess the goalposts could move a bit should we stay up though.

• Like 1

It's a tough one but we have quite e few players who are not good enough for the prem,but good enough for the champ ie stieper ,onel ,Tom,Lewis,rupp,etc and promising kids idah,femewo,so probably hardly any .

4 minutes ago, Since 1980 said:

Now it's inevitable some/few of our best will go this summer. However, there are some who don't cut the mustard, had use that phrase as it's the home. So who do fans feels should be let go? Some should make room for new blood, or even the odd older more experienced player.

A difficult question to answer confidently until the full extent of who will be moving on willingly to pastures new and higher.

For me Klose is likely to be expensive and is far from reliable fitness or football wise. I think that for me again the back four is our main area of concern and requires fresh blood.

Leitner will go I think, again wages and a luxury player who achievements have not lived up to expectations.

After that im stumped 

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Can't see a big clearout.  Why the need?  Leitner might go because he has not featured, but apart from that, can't think of anyone who we should clear out......

I agree lightweight leitner not physically strong enough for English football , whether that's the prem or champ .😄

I’m not sure what will happen with Mario either this summer, he’ll be in the last year of his contract and I do fear that will be it for him as far as we’re concerned. He’s not really been talked about as someone we could possibly lose, but he’s turned in some impressive performances since coming back from injury, and should we be relegated, I could see one of the newly promoted’s being interested in him. Why do I have this horrible feeling that Emi’s going to end up at West Brom next season?

Edited by Alex Moss
Ok, there’s a them running here, typos is my specialty

Lewis, Cantwell and Aarons the most likely to get sold, imo, and you can probably chuck Emi into that equation too.

I am not sure there are any other senior pros we'll move on aside from Leitner as has been discussed.

I think we can safely say the fresh blood is already signed and those out on loan. Pretty sure any profits made after May will be reinvested into the team or facilities as Norwich won’t want to be stuck with a big tax bill next financial year.

Can definitely see Trybull, Leitner, Klose, go along with those older player# out on loan, Thompson and Raggett probably. Should be a very interesting summer.

Edited by Indy

Sadly looking increasingly likely that Emi will move on to pastures new in the not too distant future. Big shoes to fill considering his heroics during promotion, and Pukki doesn't seem to quite fire without him. Hopefully bridges can be mended, and soon!

Fahrmann & Duda obviously.

McGovern?

Aarons likely to be sold for a significant chunk.

Could be the end for Big Timm Klose, we never really got the best out of him for an extended period, which has been costly.

Heise? - difficult to call, but might be useful in the Championship. Probably sold on.

Raggett? - seems to be progressing with regular games, but not sure he's the answer to CB woes

Leitner will surely look for a move.

Cantwell - very good chance he'll be sought after if he can make an impact over the run-in, hopefully for a ridiculous sum.

Louis Thompson - feel very sorry for his injury problems but perhaps he should be shifted - a shame because in another dimension he could have been a very effective top Champo standard player

Carlton Morris - Has also been a bit unfortunate, but time to make space in the squad & freshen things up. 

If there is any interest in the likes of Krul, Godfrey, Lewis, Vrancic or Pukki, they should be strongly rebuffed, with the rest of the team built around them. For me, Krul, Buendia & Pukki are the only three that would be extremely difficult to replace from the squad in general. 

Krul

Farhmann

McGovern

Aarons

Byram

Lewis

McCullum

Heise

Hanley

Godfrey

Zimmermann

Klose

Famewo

Tettey

Sitti 

Trybull

Vrancic

Leitner

McLean

Thompson

Buendia

Rupp

Sinani?

Cantwell

Hernandez

Martin

Stiepermann

Pukki

Drmic

Idah

Morris

We can probably expect interest in the usual - Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey, Cantwell, Buendia, Pukki.

I mentioned on another thread that I would like improvements on the areas that haven't been good enough this season in the prem. Our squad wasn't expected to get promoted last season, so we need to improve.

With that in mind, the club should consider moving these players on and finding better replacements:

McGovern - decent 3rd choice (2nd when RF leaves) GK but counts as a non-homegrown player and not great with his feet.

Heise - we now have McCullum.

Klose - I love him but he is injured more often than not and he is probably one of our bigger earners. Defence hasn't been good enough this season.

Vrancic - I like him but he hasn't shown that he can nail down that CM slot next to Tettey in the prem. McLean has done well but I would like to see a bit of investment in this position.

Leitner - I think he has a lot of value in the Chamionship but it looks like he is one of the prime contenders to move on.

Thompson - I'm happy to give him another chance but he is so injury prone.

Stiepermann - not good enough for the prem. Happy for him to be a squad member but we need an upgrade.

Morris - sounds like he's doing ok at MK Dons but do we have room for him in the squad if Pukki and Drmic stays?

Not all of these will leave - and it will depend on a variety of circumstances - but it will be interesting Webber's recent comments about not getting the recruitment right this season.

If we're talking about incomings Y & G, would you agree that a new & improved Tettey/CDM should be the priority, assuming Krul & Pukki are still here in August. Or the fabled ball-playing, physical & aerially dominating CB? Or another Buendia (if possible) should he seek a move?

As it stands, we have an ageing Tettey, Trybull, Sitti & Thompson for defensive midfield. Could this be the occasion to relieve RVW from his oft-quoted "club record transfer" millstone? Not sure even Webber can pull that kind of a rabbit out of a hat for peanuts, as every club in the world is looking for the next Kante! Will be intriguing!

More like time for a freshen up rather than a clear out. 

Husband, Raggett and Morris all League one standard so time to cut our ties. 

Heise not required if we keep Lewis because we've got the new kid. 

What i'd like to see is a youngish centre back coming into the mix, bit of Klose succession planning. Pinching Woolfenden from the paupers or Whatmough from Pompey perhaps. 

Don't think we need wholesale outgoings. Think Stiepermann is good for another year as a squad player in the league below.

If Leitner is disruptive then let go.

I don't think we've got too much deadwood. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 hour ago, Canary dwarf said:

It's a tough one but we have quite e few players who are not good enough for the prem,but good enough for the champ ie stieper ,onel ,Tom,Lewis,rupp,etc and promising kids idah,femewo,so probably hardly any .

I would never include Jamal in this sort of list for the simple reason that he still has a huge amount of improvement to come and there is little doubt in my mind that he will have a long Premier League career. I would put him in the same category as Todd who sets himself apart because of technique, desire and how he reads the game. With Jamal it is his speed and athleticism that gives him every chance of becoming a really top player. He just needs to build his experience, his self-confidence, and his know-how. His real 'arrival' could be next season. 

Others - Max who has been great since literally day one, and Ben - are probably nearer their full potential. Emi could go either way. It's a big call as to whether Farke puts full trust in him for the run-in. In front of his adoring crowd on Friday is a perfect opportunity to put it to the test.

It's a crying shame that these guys will need to pull off a miracle if they are to continue their progress in a Canary yellow shirt next season 😞

5 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Husband, Raggett and Morris all League one standard so time to cut our ties. 

We shifted Husband in January as he signed an 18 month contract at Blackpool TeemuVB.

• Haha 1

I thought that Raggett was doing well for Portsmouth though - now that he is playing regular football again and "in rhythm." (Although I have never been fully convinced that he is a Farke-type player.)

I agree with OP that we need some new blood, for "psychological reasons" as much as anything else. I know fans aren't supposed to think of players as "human" (dues to their huge wages) but the reality is that some will feel deflated and new signings may be needed to prevent "staleness." (Isn't this another lesson that we learnt from last time?)

Some of it depends on wether the amounts spoken about are real money or made up figures. If we were offered £50m for Godfrey ( even £30m ) could anyone really put up an argument against selling ? Probably our hottest property now is Cantwell, but that is down to his rapid improvement. Assuming we are in the Championship he wasn’t really part of that, so lots of money could be seen as another rebuild being payed for. Aaron’s I will be gob smacked if he doesn’t move on, his replacement, Byram, is already here. I have a sneaky suspicion that there was an offer for Emi in the January window and we turned it down. Even if that is not the case if an offer comes in and we turn it down, will he be up for it ?

That leaves basically the same squad as we won the Championship with ( quite easily ) and the ability to add some experience as well as blooding the next group of youngsters. It also gives us tens of millions to do that and or extend the stadium.

Personally I wouldn’t disagree with any of this, but I am sure some will say selling our kids shows no ambition. I don’t care who you are other than a few clubs in the world, you will always be moving players on, I would think if Villa sold Grealish that would be worse for them than all those mentioned above as below our 1st team we now constantly develop the next batch.

12 hours ago, paddycanary said:

If we're talking about incomings Y & G, would you agree that a new & improved Tettey/CDM should be the priority, assuming Krul & Pukki are still here in August. Or the fabled ball-playing, physical & aerially dominating CB? Or another Buendia (if possible) should he seek a move?

As it stands, we have an ageing Tettey, Trybull, Sitti & Thompson for defensive midfield. Could this be the occasion to relieve RVW from his oft-quoted "club record transfer" millstone? Not sure even Webber can pull that kind of a rabbit out of a hat for peanuts, as every club in the world is looking for the next Kante! Will be intriguing!

You would imagine that they are hoping that Sitti will be the new and improved CDM, with Tettey's new contract enabling a smooth transition. We will have to wait and see how he does next season.

I would like to see 5 central midfielders next season - Tettey, Sitti, Trybull, McLean and another ball playing midfielder. Essentially a bigger, stronger, quicker version of Leitner. 

12 hours ago, Woodman said:

Y&G - do we add Jaiyesimi to this list - seems to be doing ok out on loan at Swindon?

Yep forgot about him! I would love for him to get a chance to impress in preseason.