Sign in to follow this  
Hardhouse44

Minimum Expectation

53 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

We just have to accept we always have been, are and always will be well, very Norwich City.

My first memories of NCFC are from the 92/93 season and the following UEFA cup run, but I wasn't old enough to appreciate it.

Since then what achievements have I got to tell my theoretical son about?

Beating Middlesbrough at Wembley? A couple of Promotions and a couple of whimpers back into the Premier League. Finishing tenth in the Premier League.

We've had no cup runs, no special mangers, don't get me wrong I love Hucks and Holt but they're hardly players my son will be wow'd by.

For a club of this size, that have been in the Premier League for the amount have time we have, we have massively under achieved.

From the last 20 years;

Are we any better off now than Leeds United? So we might have been in the Premier League a couple more seasons but realistically we have nothing more to show for the last 20 years than they have and just two years prior to that they were in a Champions League semi-final.

Portsmouth have had some iconic players and won an FA Cup - imagine telling your son that, I was there when we won the FA Cup.

Barnsley had an incredible cup run, beating Liverpool and Chelsea.

Leicester have won the Premier League

Burnley, Hull, Swansea, Wigan, Southampton, Millwall, Stoke, Fulham, Ipswich, Portsmouth, Bolton, Middlesbrough have all competed in Europe since we were.

RvW is the most excited I've ever been about a NCFC signing.

I'm fortunate enough to have done many things in life, however I suspect the No.1 item on top of my bucket list I'll never get to do and that's to travel away to watch Norwich in Europe with my Dad.

Yes next year we will be could be cash rich, will we invest it Fulham/Villa style into player to get back in the Premier League, No.

Should we bounce straight back into Premier League, will we invest heavily to compete, No.

Call me selfish, but Norwich were here along time before me and will be a long time after me but whilst I'm here I'd love to be truly genuinely blown away by us, just once.

We just have to accept our limitations, Yes there'll be some relative highs and lows but most of the time time we'll be well, Norwich City.

Hopes and dreams.

But minimum expectation?

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

Hopes and dreams.

But minimum expectation?

Nah, obviously not.

I said earlier in this thread, its impossible to have any expectation in the Championship.

It's a lottery.

Some really poor teams have gone up, some very good ones haven't.

I am tempted to say my minimum and maximum expectations are the same – that Norwich City FC remains a solvent club playing in the league, as oppose to non-league, section of the English football pyramid.

In our 106 seasons we have sent 10.5 per cent of the time in non-league football, 27.8 per cent in the third or fourth tiers (whenever we finished below halfway in the old Division Three South the next season we were morally in what now would be the 4th tier), 36.5 per cent in the second tier, and 25 per cent in the top tier.

Splitting those 106 years neatly into quarters, in the latest quarter  we have spent 0.0 per cent of the time in non-league, 3.8 per cent in the 3rd or 4th tiers, 69.2 per cent in the second tier, and 26.9 per cent in the top tier. So a distinct upward movement.

The figures for the previous quarter are even more impressive – 0.0 per cent, 0.0 per cent, 26.9 per cent and 73.0 per cent – but that era was financially more suited to clubs of our standing, which goes a long way to explaining the fall back.

And the current, less amenable era shows little sign of going away. But I would hope, assuming we keep to the self-sustaining model, that over the mid-term we outperform the latest 26 years and get closer to those figures for that 3rd quarter. One possible season-by-season scenario would be this:

2020-21 Championship; 2021-22 Premier League; 2022-23 Championship; 2023-24 PL; 2024-25 Championship; 2025-26 PL; 2026-27 PL. Another would involve two successive seasons in the Championship but staying in the PL at the second rather than third attempt.

2 hours ago, CDMullins said:

Nah, obviously not.

I said earlier in this thread, its impossible to have any expectation in the Championship.

It's a lottery.

Some really poor teams have gone up, some very good ones haven't.

Ok

But the other posts you're replying to are the minimum expectation that Housey asked for.

I'm sure people's hopes and dreams are very different.

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Ok

But the other posts you're replying to are the minimum expectation that Housey asked for.

I'm sure people's hopes and dreams are very different.

Apologies for going off top topic;

I'll let you and Lakey spank my bum.

1 minute ago, CDMullins said:

Apologies for going off top topic;

I'll let you and Lakey spank my bum.

I didn't set the rules. Housey did.

Your hopes and dreams are similar to mine.

Except you devalue some of my best moments in over 50 seasons. Winning at Wembley with both my kids and two of my grandkids will take some beating.

5 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I didn't set the rules. Housey did.

Your hopes and dreams are similar to mine.

Except you devalue some of my best moments in over 50 seasons. Winning at Wembley with both my kids and two of my grandkids will take some beating.

De-valued it?

Its literally the first achievement I list since our UEFA cup run.

5 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

De-valued it?

Its literally the first achievement I list since our UEFA cup run.

I just saw it lumped in with the whimpers. 

Most of my favourite seasons have been in the last 20 years.

I guess we all value things differently.

5 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I just saw it lumped in with the whimpers. 

Most of my favourite seasons have been in the last 20 years.

I guess we all value things differently.

My favourite season without doubt is the Lge 1 season, probably pushed closed by last season.

Both probably owing personally being able to get to lots of away games and the fact we pipped Leeds.

The best seasons were finishing 3rd 4th and 5th in the top flight plus the F.A cup semi final seasons. Last season was arguably the best football witnessed but it was at the 2nd level. 

28 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

The best seasons were finishing 3rd 4th and 5th in the top flight plus the F.A cup semi final seasons. Last season was arguably the best football witnessed but it was at the 2nd level. 

Absolutley - Lets not get it twisted, League position and Cup success defines Norwich's 'Best season'

That doesnt necessarily mean its the fans favourite season.

On 26/02/2020 at 15:14, Hardhouse44 said:

Ok thats all very well but as our transfer dealings and constant references to money from within the club shows were are a business and run very much as a business because we dont have backers to plow in money regardless of income. And every business must set out Expectation for itself and for its employees. So the question stands what is the right Expectation next season position wise. (Which after all is really the only way to gage progress and performance)

Assuming we do go down, which seems a pretty safe bet to me (no complaints by the way: I respect the club's cautious fiscal approach given recent history with the likes of Naismith), my expectation is to go straight back up again and I'm very confident that will happen. 

I'm sure we'll lose some players in the Summer, but I don't think we'll lose anybody we can't do without and Farke and Webber have proved to me that they can pick good replacements. While the team has understandably lost its mojo somewhat after the battering it has taken this season, I don't think it will take much to get it back at Championship level. 

Once we're back up again, I think we'll be much better placed to invest to secure ourselves in the Premier League without the risk to the long term health of the club that we would have been taking this time around. 

Anyway, that's my opinion on it. 

Whether they're the clubs best season will always be up for debate. The only thing that cannot be questioned is that we achieved our highest league position or won a cup in those seasons.

The season we finished 3rd wasn't our best season in my book. I would always say the season a few years before when we were on course to win the double at Easter was.

We won our only major trophy in 1985. We were also relegated. If anyone thinks winning our only major trophy made it our best season then they need to read some of the "letters to soapbox", the pen and ink version of this forum.

When you weigh it all up us harping back to our glorious history is even more ridiculous than the binners doing it.

For my two pennies worth football for me and what defines a good enjoyable season come down to a few things.

I want to feel we have a chance of winning the game before I go. Why because I want the prematch talk in the pub to be positive.

I want to see good football but from all aspects, I appreciate good tackling and defending as well a attacking football 

And maybe most of all I want the game to mean something, whether it because we’re pushing for promotion or desperately trying to get points to stay up in the premiership, what I can’t stomach is it being a mid table also ran game in the Championship.

So to answer my own question is 6th place enough for the board to see as a minimum expectation , for me NO not if it doesn’t come with a Wembley trip and promotion back to the premiership. I’d take another day out a Wembley any time but fear greatly that with promotion back at the end of next season, momentum, finances, style, and player quality will all start to fall away.