Ramrod

Coronavirus and Relegation

Japan risks losing the Olympics, sporting events face cancellation and the Coronavirus is spreading exponentially all over the world, although thankfully not yet uncontrollably in the UK. 

But in a scenario of a serious outbreak would sporting events face cancellation and if so: if mathematically, promotions and relegation were unresolved, would matches be played behind closed doors, but televised? Would a VAR version of Duckworth-Lewis be applied or would there simply be no relegation or promotion? 

Imagine the whining from Liverpool 22 points ahead but mathematically not Champions or from Leeds, looking odds on to finally not bottle it? 

But imagine the confused delight from Carrow Road or from 'about to fail' Paul Lambert?

Of course, it couldn't happen, could it? 

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Already announced that Serie A will play five games behind closed doors this weekend.

Do season ticket holders get a refund?🙃

Most likely scenario is games played behind close doors or a point given to each team in the event the season is curtailed. But IMO we are a very long way away from that scenario or we would indeed be seeing exponential increases in infection rates - which the data suggests we are not. If we were, Disneyland in California for example would have closed weeks ago and its still open to anyone who wants to come In. 

30 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Most likely scenario is games played behind close doors or a point given to each team in the event the season is curtailed. But IMO we are a very long way away from that scenario or we would indeed be seeing exponential increases in infection rates - which the data suggests we are not. If we were, Disneyland in California for example would have closed weeks ago and its still open to anyone who wants to come In. 

I wouldn’t be so sure. Things can change very quickly.

I came back from East Asia two weeks ago and the screening was  limited....just a temperature check on book in. 

Nothing at Heathrow.

Admittedly this was just before the recent spread and potential chaos was envisaged, but I would hope that by now there will been fuller and more efficient screening at all airports for inward and outward.

The virus cannot fly (more than six feet apparently.)

That's the first important step that should be taken.

I think the expectation (or perhaps hope!) amongst the medics is that these type of viruses seem to be most virulent during the winter months and as long as it can be reasonably contained for a few more weeks it will then start to become less threatening as we move into spring and summer.

So I don't think that Coronavirus is going to be the 'little miracle' that Daniel is hoping for!

7 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

I think the expectation (or perhaps hope!) amongst the medics is that these type of viruses seem to be most virulent during the winter months and as long as it can be reasonably contained for a few more weeks it will then start to become less threatening as we move into spring and summer.

So I don't think that Coronavirus is going to be the 'little miracle' that Daniel is hoping for!

Yes.This was the official line in Thailand.

"The hot weather will blow the virus away."  TAT

The thing is it was thirty plus all the time I spent there. Singapore was even hotter on some days.

P.S. Bkk is thirty three today, yet two more cases have been confirmed in the country

Edited by BroadstairsR

2 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Why did Ebola take such a strong hold in West Africa then? Not like any of them have any use for a winter coat. 

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Why did Ebola take such a strong hold in West Africa then? Not like any of them have any use for a winter coat. 

I'm not claiming any great medical knowledge but I believe that is a completely different type of virus, and Coronavirus is more like the flu type viruses that are much more seasonal. I could be wrong but I hope not and I'm pretty sure that I heard it from one of the many 'experts' that are constantly being interviewed at the moment - I certainly didn't just make it up (not that anyone on this forum ever just makes stuff up of course 😀)

I think that we might have to settle for the fact that the virus is less virulent in hot weather because there are contradictions as I stated above.

As yet, it doesn't seem to be that the medical profession as a whole, and anywhere, has fully got to grips with this thing.

Worrying.

I think it is pretty clear that this virus outbreak will seriously increase and exponentially. It was obvious something wasn't quite right when it emerged in China. At least so far, the rates of death are low. Influenza is very serious in its usual form and especially with those whose immunity is compromised. What we don't know is if and how it might mutate.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I think that we might have to settle for the fact that the virus is less virulent in hot weather because there are contradictions as I stated above.

As yet, it doesn't seem to be that the medical profession as a whole, and anywhere, has fully got to grips with this thing.

Worrying.

WHO far too late on this one. The powers that be seem more concerned with the economic impact than with people's safety. Governments can always print money but they can't print a new global supply chain.

I suspect it's already loose in the big cities. We will know within a couple of weeks.

20 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Do season ticket holders get a refund?🙃

If it was ncfc then it would be a big fat greedy no 😂

Already announced that Serie A will play five games behind closed doors this weekend.

Except, nothing stops for the media and the TV boys and girls are not going to let them get away with that. The games will be screened and they couldn't care less.

18 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Who is actually going to be able to police self quarantining? 

The clue is in the name. Personal responsibility,  a strange concept in this modern world.

On 26/02/2020 at 04:10, sonyc said:

I think it is pretty clear that this virus outbreak will seriously increase and exponentially. It was obvious something wasn't quite right when it emerged in China. At least so far, the rates of death are low. Influenza is very serious in its usual form and especially with those whose immunity is compromised. What we don't know is if and how it might mutate.

Not to pick a fight but data reported out so far contradicts two of the above comments. 

Exponential increase - no (not yet anyway) 

Death rates are low - no (not so far anyway) 

Yes influenza is dangerous and average annual death rate from infection is about 0.1%. This is more like 2% or 20x more deadly, and on a par with the Spanish Flu pandemic after WW1. 

No need to panic (especially as that does not help) and the data points could change over time, but governments must prepare, and over here in US the Federal Government seems to be horribly complacent about everything so far. 

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

Not to pick a fight but data reported out so far contradicts two of the above comments. 

Exponential increase - no (not yet anyway) 

Death rates are low - no (not so far anyway) 

Yes influenza is dangerous and average annual death rate from infection is about 0.1%. This is more like 2% or 20x more deadly, and on a par with the Spanish Flu pandemic after WW1. 

No need to panic (especially as that does not help) and the data points could change over time, but governments must prepare, and over here in US the Federal Government seems to be horribly complacent about everything so far. 

Oh I do see your points Surfer. I agree about the 2% being very serious ...yet I was making the point that 98% have not. The worst case scenario that 500k in the UK could die is scary. And I agree your WW1 comment is very apt. A repeat could easily happen again. Worrying too is the latest news that a person has contracted it twice.

Do look at the infogram on the Guardian (and on the Independent I think). It shows the rate of increase day by day (and compares to SARS etc). Very soon I can certainly see panic behaviour. When Matt Hancock announced not to worry a little over a week ago you do start to be concerned. Very odd that lots of sports events are being swiftly cancelled, talk of the Olympics, Hadj / Umrah visits being  suspended etc etc ....to me it all indicates great seriousness. Why would these measures even be considered otherwise?