Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Reasons to be cheerful

Whilst we are having an atrocious season and have won just 4 of our last 27 games in the PREMIER LEAGUE.... spare a thought for the poor old scummers who have conspired to win just 4 of their last 22 games in the THIRD TIER.

It's certainly not all rosy at CR, but it could be oh so much worse.

Can't really feel anything for the scummers, ceased to be even considered in the same breath as us in nearly every way.

The main reason to be cheerful for me - if we need one - is because we have a fantastic occasion coming up on Friday evening, with an opportunity to put the cat among the pigeons and try and get a big scalp and a bigger three points.  Then we have another great match in prospect at Spurs in the cup where Mario might actually get a game and if he performs like he did in the last round, we have a great chance there. I'm as frustrated as anyone the way it has gone so far this season, but it is just getting interesting now - the crunch matches are upon us and the players ought to be up for the challenge.  It's an exciting prospect. 

• Like 1

Just want them to finally do us and football a favour and go out of business. It’s the final inevitability and I can’t wait to see it.

E18BA6CD-3016-4846-ADC3-0E780DC0D72D.jpeg

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Just want them to finally do us and football a favour and go out of business. It’s the final inevitability and I can’t wait to see it.

E18BA6CD-3016-4846-ADC3-0E780DC0D72D.jpeg

Dont you want a guaranteed point or 3 every now and again? 😂😂

5 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I don't need a reason to be cheerful but if I get a little down I come on here and I'm soon counting my blessings🙃

You must get down a lot you’ve averaged 8.5 posts day for the last 13.5 years! 

6 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

You must get down a lot you’ve averaged 8.5 posts day for the last 13.5 years! 

Just spreading some cheer where it's needed....

I wouldnt call this season atrocious. We have played well. We have been the better team many times, yet failed to get the reward our performances deserved. We've not been unlucky, we're just not a Premier League team. We tried to compete with practically no investement. This was a choice the club made. You could say it backfired, but I havent really felt like staying up this season was pivotal to the clubs model. Perhaps bagging the TV money and the parachute payments and enhancing the reputations of our saleable assets was the main objective, with the plan to keep the core of the team together and be in a good position to mount an immediate promotion challenge with a clearly embedded philosophy.

To stay up probably would have required a huge amount of investment, it's not like we're missing one key player 20-30m would fix. I think they looked at Fulham previously and chose a different strategy.

I still maintain the club were not too fussed about staying up. Had they been we'd have seen ever more desperate splurges in the transfer market.

I like this team. Its a good team that plays some great football, but has proven it is not Premier League standard. Doesnt make it sh ite, nor our season atrocious. Not the way I view it

• Like 6

As it stands at 8pm on Tuesday the Binners are sitting in 9th place in League 1, four points and two goals off the last playoff spot, with the teams in 5th and 6th positions also having a game in hand over them. 

I'm only concerned about what goes on on the pitch and that certainly has been frustrating at times but not atrocious. I have little concern about what goes on off it and even less in that lot down the road.

Football is very much a social occasion for me to be enjoyed with beer and friends. I enjoyed it in the Premier League and also in League One under the magnificent agent Lambert.

16 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I havent really felt like staying up this season was pivotal to the clubs model. Perhaps bagging the TV money and the parachute payments and enhancing the reputations of our saleable assets was the main objective, with the plan to keep the core of the team together and be in a good position to mount an immediate promotion challenge with a clearly embedded philosophy.

I think you totally get it, GMB. This is exactly how the situation looks to me also. If we stayed up this season, then obviously it’s a massive bonus.

It’s no good for those who don’t have the patience for the longer plan. And I totally understand those that don’t go with this method. But I think Webber has played this a peach. I’ve never seen this approach to promotion before, but he’s a very savvy guy and I like it. We’ve never been mega rich and have tried the usual methods before upon promotion. So why not go up to the Premier League, bag all of the enormous promotion/tv rights/parachute payments/enhance the value of our playing assets whilst paying out very little on summer transfers that in fairness could have gone either way. Pocket all that cash, bank it, and put ourselves in an extremely good position for promotion next season. Then, if, and it’s a gamble admittedly, we’re successful, we can loosen the purse strings just that little bit more in the 2021 summer transfer window, with a better idea of what to do. I personally think we’d be in a lot better position for our next assault on the Premier League than we were this season. As it happens, and it’s by no means over yet, I’m definitely in the camp that believes had we not had those months of injuries to so many key members of the team then we’d surely be a few points better of this season, and then we wouldn’t be 20th. That’s what ultimately cost us as much as anything. It’s a refreshing approach from Webber and the club, as I say I totally understand it’s not for everyone, but there’s a fair chance we could have spent a bit of money last summer, still got relegated and be in a dreadful position for next season back in the Championship. That definitely won’t be the case now, we’ve taken a calculated gamble, but I’m confident it’s going to pay off in the long term.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I wouldnt call this season atrocious. We have played well. We have been the better team many times, yet failed to get the reward our performances deserved. We've not been unlucky, we're just not a Premier League team. We tried to compete with practically no investement. This was a choice the club made. You could say it backfired, but I havent really felt like staying up this season was pivotal to the clubs model. Perhaps bagging the TV money and the parachute payments and enhancing the reputations of our saleable assets was the main objective, with the plan to keep the core of the team together and be in a good position to mount an immediate promotion challenge with a clearly embedded philosophy.

To stay up probably would have required a huge amount of investment, it's not like we're missing one key player 20-30m would fix. I think they looked at Fulham previously and chose a different strategy.

I still maintain the club were not too fussed about staying up. Had they been we'd have seen ever more desperate splurges in the transfer market.

I like this team. Its a good team that plays some great football, but has proven it is not Premier League standard. Doesnt make it sh ite, nor our season atrocious. Not the way I view it

This is fair enough I think, I don't completely agree but I can see where you are getting at. I do feel frustration though as in my opinion we didn't do enough to stay in the division. To me it was clear that even our fit and healthy defense wasn't good enough for the PL because it had problems in the Championship! I think a few good signings might have done something to get that sorted out. 

I wasn't a fan of the loan signings from the go , ... and I didn't think the strategy would work from the off. "they weren't fussed about staying up" -> this filled me with frustration tbh , I wanted to see some ambition!

The lot down the road are of no interest to me , don't really care! All I care about is NCFC!

Atrocious is not the right word at all, disappointing or/and frustrating is imho

Yet I still love what the team achieved last season and I will support the lads. Yet I don't agree with those on this message board who seem to agree with the way we went about things ... We have to accept it , but don't have to agree with it

Edited by ROBFLECK

8 minutes ago, ROBFLECK said:

This is fair enough I think, I don't completely agree but I can see where you are getting at. I do feel frustration though as in my opinion we didn't do enough to stay in the division. To me it was clear that even our fit and healthy defense wasn't good enough for the PL because it had problems in the Championship! I think a few good signings might have done something to get that sorted out. 

I wasn't a fan of the loan signings from the go , ... and I didn't think the strategy would work from the off. "they weren't fussed about staying up" -> this filled me with frustration tbh , I wanted to see some ambition!

The lot down the road are of no interest to me , don't really care! All I care about is NCFC!

Atrocious is not the right word at all, disappointing or/and frustrating is imho

Yet I still love what the team achieved last season and I will support the lads. Yet I don't agree with those on this message board who seem to agree with the way we went about things ... We have to accept it , but don't have to agree with it

Totally hear your point of view too, Flecky. I agree, we definitely could still have done a bit more without breaking the model - credit to Webber though, the first to hold his hands up and say he got the transfer window wrong last summer. Make no mistake, he’ll learn from that, if anyone will, he will.

20 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Is our season really atrocious?

Assume you've not looked at the table for a little while.

1 hour ago, CDMullins said:

Assume you've not looked at the table for a little while.

Assume you wish we were Sheffield United 😉

12 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Assume you wish we were Sheffield United 😉

I wish we'd not had an atrocious season.

2 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

Talking of Ipswich, did anyone see this?? (Beware, NSFW language) "WOTHLUSS" 😂

I wonder if anyone in that photo has actually seen the Scum beat us ? One thing is for sure not one of them witnessed their glorious history that they are still living off. 😂

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I hope these chaps remember he still has four and a half years of his contract to go.

Quite remarkable! 😂