Alex Moss

John Ruddy to return?

4 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Now that’s a much better argument, and I totally agree on many points. Although I wouldn’t want him back for sentimental reasons, more that I think that from what I’ve seen this season, we could do with a few more experienced heads around the place, and John knows a thing or two about getting promoted. I too think it’s unlikely that he’d settle for being a 2nd choice keeper, but then none of us really know exactly what he’s looking for at this stage of his career, reading between the lines though I suspect if he was offered a deal such as a 2 year contract followed by a move into the goalkeeping setup here then that may be of interest to him. It looks like Archie Mair is the most likely of the young keepers to break into the first team squad, but I doubt that will be next season so one position we're very likely to need to fill is a good 1st choice competitor for Tim. You’ve admitted in your post that you simply don’t rate Ruddy, which is fair enough, but I think that’s the real reason why you’re opposed rather the ‘ball playing GK’ debate. As for his weight a few seasons ago, I’m not sure how that is relevant a few years later. I’m all for signing young promising talent, but it’s fairly obvious that lack of experience has been partly our downfall this season. There must be a balance.

Almost everybody in our squad knows a thing or two about getting promoted since they did it 9 months ago, and if there is one part of our squad which doesn't need more experience it is between the sticks.

Not rating him all that highly is part of my argument, yes, but I also believe that you want him here for sentimental reasons and yellow tinted glasses. Have you, for example, actually looked at what other goalkeepers are set to be out of contract in the summer? 

He's 33 and has barely played for 2 years. We've already got an ageing keeper in McGovern who is not out of contract, do we need two? 

We've typically gone with 3 keepers in a 25 man Premier League squad but only 2 in the Championship. I don't know whether there are reasons for that beyond the budget (but I think emergency loan rules for keepers are a bit stricter in the Prem and that may be the reason). 

If going with 2 though then there's no room at the Inn. 

If going with 3 keepers I'd rather have Declan Rudd back on a free, been playing regularly for the past 2 seasons, is 4 years younger and is better with his feet. He's out of contract in the summer. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

On 25/02/2020 at 19:16, rock bus said:

I saw the main article as a bit of a PR piece by Ruddy and almost a 'come and get me' plea.

Think he may be tempted on basis that as well as being number 2 (presuming Krul stays) he will have a coaching responsibility/position with the younger keepers.

Sounds like an ideal plan to me (especially as home grown player!)

I saw that too. Seemed to me like begging to come back. Let’s face why wouldn’t he want to, as his family still lives here. 
not for me as a player in 2 nd or 3rd choice.

6 minutes ago, Bradwell canary said:

I saw that too. Seemed to me like begging to come back. Let’s face why wouldn’t he want to, as his family still lives here. 
not for me as a player in 2 nd or 3rd choice.

He could always play for Cambridge, Peterborough, Ipswich, Colchester or Southend if he wants to live in Norfolk. 

I suspect however that he'd want wages which are Championship first team wages and if he wants those then he's going to have to be prepared to travel/move to whichever Championship side needs a first team keeper.

Perhaps he should try and get a move to Chelsea as their number 3, won't get a game but probably a well paid gig and he's a Chelsea fan! 

Big John Ruddy is currently on the bench at Espanyol v Wolves.....Wolves are currently winning 5-1 on aggregate. I wonder if JR may get a run out before the 90+ mins is up?....Tick in the box, European football appearance on his CV..... 

5 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Big John Ruddy is currently on the bench at Espanyol v Wolves.....Wolves are currently winning 5-1 on aggregate. I wonder if JR may get a run out before the 90+ mins is up?....Tick in the box, European football appearance on his CV..... 

Might be wrong, but I’m pretty sure John has already ticked the box for playing in the Europa League with Wolves last season.

10 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Maybe.....but I'm not a soccer statto...... 

Just seem to remember him playing a game for them in Europe last season - I’ll have a look out of curiosity now though...

Just now, Alex Moss said:

Just seem to remember him playing a game for them in Europe last season - I’ll have a look out of curiosity now though...

He can have two ticks if he has.......

12 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Sorry gonna have to trump you both here, he played in the Europa League qualifiers for Motherwell!

53 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Sorry gonna have to trump you both here, he played in the Europa League qualifiers for Motherwell!

Sorry but Scottish Football dinna count.....

McGovern seems to have been kept on as apparently he's a model professional and has a positive influence in the team and on the younger players.

The fact that he's poor with his feet, has weak distribution and has trouble actually holding onto the ball is seemingly not relevant to the conversation.

He's also not 'Homegrown', so I'm not sure why we're really keeping him other than purely for atmospheric reasons at the club.

Krul will continue as 1st choice, he's easily earned it and will take a damn good signing to replace him. Archie Mair is looking very good and could well be our long-term replacement for Krul. We just need a reliable backup keeper other than McGovern to cover in the event of an injury to Krul and without putting too much pressure on Mair.

It's not an area I think we need too much focus on as I'd happily go into next season with just Krul and Mair initially, but I don't see Ruddy taking a big pay cut and being willing to warm the bench behind Krul just to return either. I'd be happy to have him back as I don't think he really wanted to leave to begin with, but whether or not he'd fit into Farke's system is another matter...

3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

2 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

Sorry but Scottish Football dinna count.....

Ok, out of curiosity, just had a look and John Ruddy has indeed played for Wolves in the Europa League, but I was wrong - it’s actually been this season he’s featured (of course they weren’t in it last season 🤦🏻‍♂️), he played the full 90mins in their 4-0 home win against Pyunik, and another 90mins in their 4-0 home win over Besiktas. So with what Teemu’s said, he’s actually already got 2 clubs on his CV in Europe. You learn something fascinating and new every day haha