Alex Moss

John Ruddy to return?

Out of contract at the end of the season, Fahrmann will be back in Germany, we will need a good backup keeper. If we stay up we may look in other areas, but if we go down, I don’t think it’s a guarantee Krul will be with us next season. And Ruddy has admitted Norfolk is ‘home’ and he hopes to return one day if it suits the club. Not a bad option as backup in either league before he retires from playing and goes into keeper coaching, possibly with us...

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/ruddy-on-his-plans-post-retirement-1-6530091

Still only 33, which isn't that old in goalkeeper currency. I think Krul will still be here next season personally, and I doubt JR would want to be a backup. If Krul does leave, I think DF is likely to prioritise a goalkeeper who's better with his feet than JR.

Good point about his footwork, but then he’s kept McGovern on by giving him a new contract and that’s arguably his weakest attribute. I too think Krul will be here next season, but the Euro’s may have a say in that. Tim seems a loyal sort of bloke though so my gut feeling is that he will be here. Just think we could do worse with JR as backup, the GK position is without doubt the one position in football that allows longevity. He would certainly bring further experience to a young group of players. So it would be a thumbs up for me.

1 hour ago, Woodman said:

Oxborough will be back & we have Archie Mair as well - I think both are well thought of as back ups.

Oxborough isn’t doing particularly well at Wealdstone apparently so I doubt he’ll be around beyond the summer. 

Ruddy will probably end up as 2nd choice for a Prem side, or even get the coveted 3rd choice homegrown keeper at a Champions’ League club. 

Can’t see Krul leaving, even if he goes to the Euros I can’t see how being Holland’s 3rd choice (and highly unlikely to play a minute of football) would change that. 

Just now, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Can’t see Krul leaving, even if he goes to the Euros I can’t see how being Holland’s 3rd choice (and highly unlikely to play a minute of football) would change that. 

Depends if they are in a penalty shoot out or not I guess...

19 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I’m not sure he is Holland’s 3rd choice keeper now, unfortunately now I don’t have the time to find the link but I certainly read something about one of the guys in front of him being injured and the other being badly out of form or something. So it was suggested that Tim, after some eye catching appearances in the Premier League this season, has more than a reasonable chance of being their number 1 keeper for the Euro’s.

I saw the main article as a bit of a PR piece by Ruddy and almost a 'come and get me' plea.

Think he may be tempted on basis that as well as being number 2 (presuming Krul stays) he will have a coaching responsibility/position with the younger keepers.

Sounds like an ideal plan to me (especially as home grown player!)

I think Krull will still be our first choice keeper next year. We helped him rebuild his career and he’s clearly a loyal guy. As for John Ruddy as a player, no thanks we have a backup even if it is McGovern. As a coach, I have no idea how much he’d be able to contribute, but I have my doubts as I don’t remember the technical side of his game being a particularly big asset. 

Edited by Surfer

I always thought Ruddy was one of the best keepers I have seen here so would love to see him back involved somewhere. We could do worse than have his experience involved around the squad or coaching setup. 

No way. Tim will definitely be here next season and surely he will be POTS. I can't think of anyone who has earned it more than him this season. 

So McGovern and Oxborough will be enough without bringing in someone else.

• Like 1

Given that he is having a house built in Norfolk I suspect Tim sees his future being at Norwich City.....

Glad to hear it. I think he has been superb. And so many love Norfolk when they stay there for a bit of time and don't want to leave. I know I live in Cornwall but if all my family would move to Norwich , I would also.
  • Like 1

I think one of the reasons JR left was because he was one of the top wage earners we were desperate to get off the books. Love to see him back but money could be the problem.

No way Tim Krul will want to go anywhere, clearly loves it here and definitely our Player of the Season, will be shocked if he doesn't win that award. Although it's not ideal for your GK to win POTS.

• Like 1

Ruddy can't use his feet so this suggestion doesn't even make sense, people claim to buy into the way we try and play and then suggest that we sign somebody who doesn't fit into that at all. Strange! 

He's also really not all that good, seemed to carry too much weight in his final couple of years here and would struggle to get down low to make saves. 

If we should be signing any former Norwich keeper it should be Jed Steer from Villa.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

4 hours ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Given that he is having a house built in Norfolk I suspect Tim sees his future being at Norwich City.....

Can they build it in front of our goal......and mount it on rollers so we can swap ends at half-time?....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Ruddy can't use his feet so this suggestion doesn't even make sense, people claim to buy into the way we try and play and then suggest that we sign somebody who doesn't fit into that at all. Strange! 

He's also really not all that good, seemed to carry too much weight in his final couple of years here and would struggle to get down low to make saves. 

If we should be signing any former Norwich keeper it should be Jed Steer from Villa.

Well, one of the biggest weaknesses of one of our backups, McGovern, is most certainly his footwork, or lack of, so can you explain how Farke and Webber ended up giving him a new deal knowing full well he doesn’t fit into this ball playing GK ethos at all? 

2 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Well, one of the biggest weaknesses of one of our backups, McGovern, is most certainly his footwork, or lack of, so can you explain how Farke and Webber ended up giving him a new deal knowing full well he doesn’t fit into this ball playing GK ethos at all? 

He's great in the dressing room, experienced, inexpensive and was willing to sign knowing he wasn't likely to make an appearance for us barring an unlikely injury massacre (which naturally did then happen).

13 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

He's great in the dressing room, experienced, inexpensive and was willing to sign knowing he wasn't likely to make an appearance for us barring an unlikely injury massacre (which naturally did then happen).

Haha, yep I was there at Palace. My point being is that Ruddy would also, like McGovern, only be a back up to Krul, and it’s already been proven that Farke and Webber will take on players like Ruddy given that what you’ve just posted could almost be applied to John himself. Granted though, not sure about his wage demands mind, and that could be the stumbling block, but I’m sure John will probably have more than a good idea of what’s what already - I’m sure he’s earned a handsome wage in his time at Wolves to top up his pension from his time here, so perhaps that side of things aren’t the issue that maybe they once were before he left for his one last big shot back to the Premier League.

Edited by Alex Moss
Typo

"If we should be signing any former Norwich keeper it should be Jed Steer from Villa."

Declan Rudd seems to be the most successful of the young 'keepers we let fly.

He's been a permanent and favourite at Preston for some time now, but apparently is tied to along contract.

9 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Third choice keeper. 

3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Third choice keeper. 

Exactly - third choice, i.e one of our back ups. 

Ruddy would be a back up.

So what you are saying doesn’t hold weight on that evidence.

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

Exactly - third choice, i.e one of our back ups. 

Ruddy would be a back up.

So what you are saying doesn’t hold weight on that evidence.

The third choice keeper largely exists to get battered during crossing and corner training to protect the first choice keeper from injuries and knocks.

And I'm sure Ruddy will want to go somewhere to play rather than to semi retire? 

Just an old boys act if you start giving people jobs out of sentiment, it's something I'm glad we've moved past. 

How about for a number 2 we get a good young keeper with the potential to succeed Krul? That is forward thinking succession planning. 

Just loving Norfolk or the club doesn't suddenly put a player at the top of the queue, and I'm glad it doesn't.

I'd rather a 22/23 year old came in and was given the opportunity to work with and learn from our quality Dutch international keeper.

Because that's progressive. Also how often does going back work out? Mike Walker, Robert Fleck, Paul McVeigh, Jamie Cuerton... Also signings where heart ruled head. 

13 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The third choice keeper largely exists to get battered during crossing and corner training to protect the first choice keeper from injuries and knocks.

And I'm sure Ruddy will want to go somewhere to play rather than to semi retire? 

Just an old boys act if you start giving people jobs out of sentiment, it's something I'm glad we've moved past. 

How about for a number 2 we get a good young keeper with the potential to succeed Krul? That is forward thinking succession planning. 

Just loving Norfolk or the club doesn't suddenly put a player at the top of the queue, and I'm glad it doesn't.

I'd rather a 22/23 year old came in and was given the opportunity to work with and learn from our quality Dutch international keeper.

Because that's progressive. Also how often does going back work out? Mike Walker, Robert Fleck, Paul McVeigh, Jamie Cuerton... Also signings where heart ruled head. 

Now that’s a much better argument, and I totally agree on many points. Although I wouldn’t want him back for sentimental reasons, more that I think that from what I’ve seen this season, we could do with a few more experienced heads around the place, and John knows a thing or two about getting promoted. I too think it’s unlikely that he’d settle for being a 2nd choice keeper, but then none of us really know exactly what he’s looking for at this stage of his career, reading between the lines though I suspect if he was offered a deal such as a 2 year contract followed by a move into the goalkeeping setup here then that may be of interest to him. It looks like Archie Mair is the most likely of the young keepers to break into the first team squad, but I doubt that will be next season so one position we're very likely to need to fill is a good 1st choice competitor for Tim. You’ve admitted in your post that you simply don’t rate Ruddy, which is fair enough, but I think that’s the real reason why you’re opposed rather the ‘ball playing GK’ debate. As for his weight a few seasons ago, I’m not sure how that is relevant a few years later. I’m all for signing young promising talent, but it’s fairly obvious that lack of experience has been partly our downfall this season. There must be a balance.