Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

Did you really expect us to do well

39 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It has not been the defence that has been the major problem since the new year - we have stopped scoring goals!  Every team is going to concede goals and we are no different, it's just the goals haver dried up. If wew had scored when on top in the first half on Sunday it might have made a bit of difference.

I beg to differ! The defence hasn’t been a problem!? Look at the goals against column over the last two seasons! And 8 goals conceded since the new year in six games? That’s not a major problem? I’ll have some of what you’re taking!

I thought we would stay up given the magnificent style of our promotion. Injuries and a lot of bad luck haven't helped but it's disappointing we haven't made a better fist of it given its an extremely medicore Premier League this season in my opinion. 

Not that fussed about relegation as we clearly are nowhere near good enough and it's a tough watch with no goals Norwich nowadays.

Just hope we don't capitulate now and get tonked every week as that could have dire ramifications for next season. Go down swinging as they say.

Statistically it was always likely to be a struggle but I thought that we would do better than we have done. The early season injuries robbed us of a lot of momentum and made a hard task, harder. Klose's injury in particular was disappointing - unlike Hardhouse, I thought he looked good in the time he had before getting injured last time in the premier league. Amadou's failure to play as anticipated was also a big disappointment: I had expected more of a player with a good top league pedigree rated as worth £10 million.

I tend to agree with Ron about lacking the "muscularity" to complement the "quality." We are physically quite a small team and some of better players lack the physical presence to cope with players that are both technically adept and physically strong. Steipermann's failure to adapt to Premier league demands has also cost us in this respect.

9 hours ago, ron obvious said:

The injuries to central defenders killed us. It was always going to be a weakness anyway, & losing Klose, Zimbo & Hanley for long periods of time was terminal, for our confidence as much as anything.

I remember watching SheffU last season & thinking they looked physically like a rugby league team. That sheer strength (although not that alone) has stood them in good stead this year.

I think a lot of our players have the footballing skills to play for a top 6 side, but they haven't got the muscularity required to go with it.

It's a bit of a myth about the Champs. being tougher than the PL. Last season our superior football was able to overcome stronger teams. In the PL they're both stronger & more skilful - that's why they get paid so much. The players are simply the best in the world.

Tend to agree with most of this!

It's not just the skill - it's the pace, power and strength that accompany it as well!

It's always a poor PL when we struggle. Wolves are only 8th but seem to be able to beat the European teams they come up against.

Next thing it will be a weak championship that we won last year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Definitely. I thought our playing style was so suited to the PL. We were so silky in our skill levels in the Champs. But like other posters above, (1) we seem too light physically (against Leeds away last year we were strong but cannot remember too many other times because our football just 'talked') and (2) our injuries early in the season came at the wrong time. We lost continuity and a bit of that belief from last year. VAR and s bit of bad luck has rubbed it in a bit. 

Yet, despite a very disappointing season, I have often thought we are almost there at a PL level. The Newcastle at home game convinced me. Commentators and football people have said the same haven't they? We are not a hopeless case. There have been 4/5 really disappointing games though, Wolves included. No wonder Daniel Farke was annoyed.

So, yes I was very hopeful we could make mid table 10th to 12th. I still believe in this team. Their football is still good to watch even if occasionally frustrating in the final clinical areas (wrong decisions). I find myself supportive of the manager more than any other in recent times. I am always hopeful. I find this really interesting that I feel this. Take Hughton and I was really resigned. Under Neil in the PL I was more worried. Under Lambert I felt we would survive but he just left us after one year in the PL for personal glory. Now we really have a manager who deep in his soul I feel has Norwich City in his veins. He cares. That will do for me. I look forward to next year rather than feel scared of falling away. OTBC as they say.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Definitely. I thought our playing style was so suited to the PL. We were so silky in our skill levels in the Champs. But like other posters above, (1) we seem too light physically (against Leeds away last year we were strong but cannot remember too many other times because our football just 'talked') and (2) our injuries early in the season came at the wrong time. We lost continuity and a bit of that belief from last year. VAR and s bit of bad luck has rubbed it in a bit. 

Yet, despite a very disappointing season, I have often thought we are almost there at a PL level. The Newcastle at home game convinced me. Commentators and football people have said the same haven't they? We are not a hopeless case. There have been 4/5 really disappointing games though, Wolves included. No wonder Daniel Farke was annoyed.

So, yes I was very hopeful we could make mid table 10th to 12th. I still believe in this team. Their football is still good to watch even if occasionally frustrating in the final clinical areas (wrong decisions). I find myself supportive of the manager more than any other in recent times. I am always hopeful. I find this really interesting that I feel this. Take Hughton and I was really resigned. Under Neil in the PL I was more worried. Under Lambert I felt we would survive but he just left us after one year in the PL for personal glory. Now we really have a manager who deep in his soul I feel has Norwich City in his veins. He cares. That will do for me. I look forward to next year rather than feel scared of falling away. OTBC as they say.

Agreed, next season Carrow Road could be a fantastic place to be....

Edited by Indy