When will the football gods allow the return of the Sweeper.... Godfrey might be very good at that. 

When will the football gods allow the return of the Sweeper.... Godfrey might be very good at that. 

Good point. Arguably our best team when Culverhouse went sweeper

2 minutes ago, Surfer said:

I have not heard that football term for many years ,yeah he might well be but I still play him at cdm.

14 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I just don't see the midfield thing, not at this level.

In what way?  This level is tough of course but I think much of the feeling is that he hasn't met what we expected of him this season. And I think we were impressed last season as much because of when he came forward with the ball. He can pass and over distance as well.

But we did last season and have done this season, been caught through the middle with poor positioning when the opposition has the ball and quite a lot of ball watching.

I would love to see him tried as a holding player. I would love to see him more involved. He looked quite happy to come forward looking for it when we went three at the back late on Sunday and quite neat with the ball at his feet.

Maybe they have tried him there n training, I don't know, but at this stage, i don't see any harm in us trying something a bit different. This part of the season has reminded me of Hughton and Neil when they were so worried that they didn't dare do anything different. Surely DF could still get us playing a nice possession based style but try two up front and three at the back or something that the opposition might not expect from us.

For instance,  it seems a fairly widespread opinion that Rupp and Duda have added nothing and maybe made things worse. Good for DF, he tried something. But it hasn't changed anything and in fact, Sunday was one of the worst performances of the season.. So we haven't added anything from Trybull and Leitner.

However slight the chance is of staying up, we have to make a stab at it. Forget goal difference, that won't keep us up. And DFs job is safe so he is worry free about the future. Start on Friday by showing you have the nous to take this club further by showing how you can adapt.

•  

Great post Pops.👍

Not sure I wholly agree with it all but they're brilliant points well made.

Without a doubt we do need more athleticsm and physicality in midfield.

28 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

I have not heard that football term for many years ,yeah he might well be but I still play him at cdm.

Its sweeper keepers nowadays.  

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

In what way?  This level is tough of course but I think much of the feeling is that he hasn't met what we expected of him this season. And I think we were impressed last season as much because of when he came forward with the ball. He can pass and over distance as well.

But we did last season and have done this season, been caught through the middle with poor positioning when the opposition has the ball and quite a lot of ball watching.

I would love to see him tried as a holding player. I would love to see him more involved. He looked quite happy to come forward looking for it when we went three at the back late on Sunday and quite neat with the ball at his feet.

Maybe they have tried him there n training, I don't know, but at this stage, i don't see any harm in us trying something a bit different. This part of the season has reminded me of Hughton and Neil when they were so worried that they didn't dare do anything different. Surely DF could still get us playing a nice possession based style but try two up front and three at the back or something that the opposition might not expect from us.

For instance,  it seems a fairly widespread opinion that Rupp and Duda have added nothing and maybe made things worse. Good for DF, he tried something. But it hasn't changed anything and in fact, Sunday was one of the worst performances of the season.. So we haven't added anything from Trybull and Leitner.

However slight the chance is of staying up, we have to make a stab at it. Forget goal difference, that won't keep us up. And DFs job is safe so he is worry free about the future. Start on Friday by showing you have the nous to take this club further by showing how you can adapt.

•  

He can pass and he's good on the ball is something people say about Godfrey when making a case for him to play in midfield. But the list of Norwich players that can't pass and aren't good on the ball is a short one. And actually I would question whether he is good enough on the ball and whether he is a good enough passer.  Then there's his awareness with and without the ball. How he takes the ball in,  opening his body up, playing on the turn etc. Don't know if he's streetwise enough.

You can see sometimes when he's playing as left centreback that when he's got the ball he's slightly limited with what he can do with it. If there's a big diagonal and he can hit it then all well and good and it's an eye-catching thing to do, but when that ball isn't on he can be a bit hesitant. So I don't really know if I can see him going into midfield and having enough in his locker.

3 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

•  

I really don't think you've thought this through KG. Farke has already come out and said Zimmermann is almost certainly not going to be fit for the Leicester game. So Godfrey plays in central midfield under your plan - who's going to partner Hanley in central defence?? Tettey perhaps?