Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Not much to be positive about...

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Its still too early to tell what will happen. Friday night at Carrow Rd, a team desperate to do well against a team containing a former hero in Maddison is set to be a great occasion.

Other than the Wolves I didn't see a team "desperate to do well" this afternoon.

Desperate maybe but that's as good as it got

16 minutes ago, ricardo said:

24-51 is however the reality and the immediate future is very likely to mirror the immediate past.

I see reality has now been downgraded 'very likely'. However using the past to predict the future very rarely works. Too many variables. Especially in football matches.

Giving up may make you feel better now. But if Farke's little miracle happens it will be tarnished for those not on board.

So last year when we got promoted before the Blackburn game you told us we would bottle it when the bookies had us at around 33/1 not to be automatically promoted. This year it is even more unlikely that we will escape relegation than we wouldn’t get promoted last year. For being realists last year and this year you are now telling us we are negative ? So what was positive about you telling us we weren’t going up last year ?
Guessing we have given up on 4th now ?

I haven't given up and will be there making as much noise as I can Friday evening. However, the reality is we just played a team recently back from a European game and who we performed against really well last time out.

We didn't touch them.

Worrying times indeed.

3 minutes ago, Well b back said:

So last year when we got promoted before the Blackburn game you told us we would bottle it when the bookies had us at around 33/1 not to be automatically promoted. This year it is even more unlikely that we will escape relegation than we wouldn’t get promoted last year. For being realists last year and this year you are now telling us we are negative ? So what was positive about you telling us we weren’t going up last year ?
Guessing we have given up on 4th now ?

?

8 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

However using the past to predict the future very rarely works.

So that rather contradicts that long list of clubs you trot out whenever investment for Norwich City is mentioned. 😛

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I see reality has now been downgraded 'very likely'. However using the past to predict the future very rarely works. Too many variables. Especially in football matches.

Giving up may make you feel better now. But if Farke's little miracle happens it will be tarnished for those not on board.

How do you think do you think bookmakers make money? Using the past to predict the future has been very successful and in any event its all we have to go on. Events and results are not random, thats why 6-4 chances win more often than 33-1's

Giving up has nothing to do with it. Extremely unlikely events do happen, just not very often, else they wouldn't be extremely unlikely.

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

How do you think do you think bookmakers make money? Using the past to predict the future has been very successful and in any event its all we have to go on. Events and results are not random, thats why 6-4 chances win more often than 33-1's

Giving up has nothing to do with it. Extremely unlikely events do happen, just not very often, else they wouldn't be extremely unlikely.

It's your reality so it's your call.

Some people put their faith in owners wealth. Others in bookmakers odds. Supporting a football team is much more than either.

I love ya rickyyyyy but I'd hate to be you...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

So that rather contradicts that long list of clubs you trot out whenever investment for Norwich City is mentioned. 😛

Why does it? I've never once predicted their futures😐

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

It's your reality so it's your call.

Some people put their faith in owners wealth. Others in bookmakers odds. Supporting a football team is much more than either.

I love ya rickyyyyy but I'd hate to be you...

24-51 doesn't belong to me, it is what it is.

If you were me you wouldnt have sleepless nights worrying if we were going to survive. You would have known weeks ago that we aren't and would have been at peace.

I have every hope we will put up a good show next season. 

9 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Why does it? I've never once predicted their futures😐

You attempt to predict the future everytime you make a bet.😉

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

You attempt to predict the future everytime you make a bet.😉

I've never bet on them either.

The whole point I make about our club and those others I list is about what has been achieved. Has in the past tense. Past as in what actually has happened.

The people who argue with me always say it's about what will happen and that we're going to hell in a handcart.

We must be taking the scenic route...

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I've never bet on them either.

The whole point I make about our club and those others I list is about what has been achieved. Has in the past tense. Past as in what actually has happened.

The people who argue with me always say it's about what will happen and that we're going to hell in a handcart.

We must be taking the scenic route...

Thats exactely what it is when you ride a roller coaster which has happily been my experience of following NCFC for nearly 70 years. 

After an upswing there is inevitably a downswing not far ahead and that is where we are now. The key to happiness as a supporter is accepting both are part of our shared experience. I am ever hopeful that I might yet live to see another upswing.😀🍺

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Thats exactely what it is when you ride a roller coaster which has happily been my experience of following NCFC for nearly 70 years. 

After an upswing there is inevitably a downswing not far ahead and that is where we are now. The key to happiness as a supporter is accepting both are part of our shared experience. I am ever hopeful that I might yet live to see another upswing.😀🍺

For me, the key to happiness, as a supporter and in life, is to align your head to your heart.🙃💛💚

Edited by nutty nigel

6 minutes ago, ricardo said:

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”

OTBC

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

For me, the key to happiness, as a supporter and in life, is to align your head to your heart.🙃💛💚

For me its the knowledge that I wasn't born 45 miles further south.😉

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I haven't given up either Smiffy. I won't give up unless we are relegated. While there's still a chance I'm clinging on to it.

A few weeks ago I was called deluded and told it would be easier to accept relegation.Yet I look at this board and it doesn't look easier to me. Despite apparently having given up and accepted relegation weeks ago people seem to go through it again every week. 

If we do go down it will only happen once to me🙃

You may think the same as dear old LDC regarding our chances of survival but that’s because you box a bit smarter than dear old LDC.

If you preached his weekly sermon you’d need a tin hat and flak jacket too. 😉

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

Nobody is asking you to stop believing. People believe in all sorts of unaccountable things. 24-51 tell me what the reality is going to be.

Although you are probably correct, both because you've always struck me as a pretty shrewd judge of a game of football but also because actually in this case the outcome looks fairly inevitable to most of us anyway. But I can't help but wonder whether it isn't less interesting/exciting to believe that the 'reality' as defined by the bookies is immutable and nothing that we, i.e. Farke and the team, can do will change it.

At the other extreme this is precisely why I don't see any point in being in the Premiership because we are never going to win it - the Championship, League 1 etc are genuine competitions which certainly don't always go our way but in a good year we know we can do it. The FA Cup we've never quite managed but we've occasionally come quite close and IMO its possible, in fact at a stretch it could happen this year and certainly its possible to envisage it happening in the future. But the Premier League, not now, not ever will we win it so what point is there in being in a competition that we can never win - seems pretty pointless to me and of course that is the reality that the bookies will always reflect.

I’m wondering if we will ever score in open play again this season just can’t see it coming , like to see idah given a chance , nothing to lose at least start him for one half , pukki has really lost his touch 

6 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I haven't given up either Smiffy. I won't give up unless we are relegated. While there's still a chance I'm clinging on to it.

A few weeks ago I was called deluded and told it would be easier to accept relegation.Yet I look at this board and it doesn't look easier to me. Despite apparently having given up and accepted relegation weeks ago people seem to go through it again every week. 

If we do go down it will only happen once to me🙃

Exactly my thoughts, Eddie. Sure, relegation looks the likely outcome unfortunately and has done for a while, if people recognise this but still carry hope then it doesn’t make those people deluded because they’re not saying we’re categorically 100% staying up, contrary to what some may think - they’re simply maintaining some hope that maybe just maybe we can also achieve what other past teams that were seemingly dead and buried at this point of the season have done before. To me, as unlikely as that scenario may look to some, it would equally be factually stupid for any poster to deny that it can and does happen, and personally I wouldn’t betray my club by saying it’s not possible for us either. I’m no turncoat - we have to back the lads, not down tools, to me that attitude’s akin to cheating on a loved one.

Ultimately, I think what surprises me the most, is those that have claimed to have 100% accepted relegation several months ago... well... actually hadn’t. Because if they’re still getting upset at us dropping crucial points each weekend then they never really did accept relegation at that point as they’re claiming. They’d never admit it, but they obviously have secretly been thinking a turnaround was or is possible to this day too, whether they admit it or not. 

I too don’t understand the need to live the horror of relegation day in day out for the majority of the season, when I can live it just the once in May before swiftly turning my attentions to thoughts of winning the Championship next season, should it come to that. Every weekend must be hell when you already ‘know’ you’ve lost next week as well. That really can’t be good for the soul sadly. I was really disappointed today, but already I’m happy again, the Wolves game is behind me and I’m looking forward to Friday nights match under the FCR floodlights with an open mind that our lads may just put in exactly the kind of exciting performance that I know we are very capable of, regardless of what I’ve read today. Football, and the results, are never a constant. A turning point in fortune always has to happen sometime.

OTBC!

• Like 1