Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

All of our signings this season have been crap

1 minute ago, Upo said:

Rupp has been good.

I haven't seen as much of our games in the last six weeks or so as I have in the early part of the season due to work and not finding a decent stream a couple of times, but Rupp doesn't appear to have done much at all when I've been watching.

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Buying cheap players from Germany has resulted in more dross than good. Add Franke and Heise to that list from before this season.

What a generalisation. 

I think we've been down this road before where we listed the signings and come to the conclusion that there's more good than bad.

1 minute ago, A Load of Squit said:

The self funding model is a success.

To continue the self funding model surely we have to have a conveyor belt of player assets to sell season after season unless of course you think ticket sales,hospitality and commercial revenue will keep us going Squit ?

Duda is like Mesut Ozil with a bad hangover. He strolls about between the lines, never behind the midfield or beyond the forward players, takes at most one touch, plays a simple short pass then stands still. He's the exact opposite of what we need in that position. Rupp has nothing in his locker except his pressing and workrate but he's too small and slow to unsettle players who just shrug him off or run past him. It's not like when say Vrancic first played and was trying stuff but looked poor because he was off the pace, these two don't have anything beyond take the ball then play it short. It's no wonder fans don't rate them.

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

When was the last season we weren't self funding?

Last year when fans stumped up £5 million to update Colney because there was no money to do it.

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

To continue the self funding model surely we have to have a conveyor belt of player assets to sell season after season unless of course you think ticket sales,hospitality and commercial revenue will keep us going Squit ?

We are self funding, if you're plan is to be self funding then we are being successful.

All of those things you list are possible, you forgot the money we'll get from TV deals.

Just now, TIL 1010 said:

Last year when fans stumped up £5 million to update Colney because there was no money to do it.

So us fans helped deliver a brilliant season. Well done all👍

The time before that?

We are self funding, if you're plan is to be self funding then we are being successful.

All of those things you list are possible, you forgot the money we'll get from TV deals.

Our TV revenue will fall through the floor when we are relegated.

Just now, nutty nigel said:

So us fans helped deliver a brilliant season. Well done all👍

The time before that?

When there was a share issue to buy Huckerby etc.

the thing to really wrap your noodle round is this

is our self funding model making us an unattractive investment opportunity?

investors want to get in on the shop floor and build something to increase the value of their investment. A net zero, stable asset like Norwich is going to cost more to get in on, so surely you’ll go elsewhere and buy a club that is in a bit of a state to get more of a bargain?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

When there was a share issue to buy Huckerby etc.

2003?

And the time before that?

Edited by nutty nigel

But it will increase again when we get promoted.

There are only two certainties in life Squit and that is death and taxes, Unfortunately promotion is not one of those.

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

2003?

And the time before that?

Probably when Sir Arthur got the blankets carried around the pitch.😜

This thread sums up why we shouldn’t buy £20 million pound players, imagine if we’d paid the going rate for Amadou, Roberts and Duda, those moaning about lack of investment would be having a field day moaning about wasting our premiership money! Sometimes you just can’t win, one way or the other!

• Like 4

Just now, TIL 1010 said:

There are only two certainties in life Squit and that is death and taxes, Unfortunately promotion is not one of those.

It's the uncertainty that makes us go to the matches.

54 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah I made this point earlier in the season and got told it wasnt worth talking about...

Byram is the only signing you can argue improved our squad this season. Everyone else is basically worse than we already had.

It's hard to disagree with this.

What I would say though is back in August it's hard to determine how easy it would have been to improve each position and how much that would have cost. We all wanted a defensive midfielder and got that in Amadou (🤐) otherwise just so much of our team was an unknown quantity and I honestly thought some of them would have stepped up better than they have done. With Hindsight i'd love to go back and chuck as much money possible at an extra CB. But I wasn't crying out for one at the start of the season.

The signings were poor this season and Webber admitted it. Thats cost us. For me the one shining light is our complete lack of spending means we should at least be in a good position to get some business done for the championship next season. We will see.  

Edited by Hillhead

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Probably when Sir Arthur got the blankets carried around the pitch.😜

There's been a few other times but it's always been from fans in one way or another.

So why has self funding suddenly become such an issue?

Our strategy under Webber has always been to buy lots for cheap and hope half step up. 

Even last season where our recruitment was universally lauded, we signed Marshall, Passlack and Heise. The season before was worse and had Franke, Srbeny, Raggett and Watkins. 

Unfortunately, this season our transfers have been universally diabolical and only one has stepped up to contribute to our season. To be honest, I am not entirely convinced our January business has been much better - I do not think Rupp or Duda are better than what we already have - but at least hope Rupp will settle and have a good part to play next season. 

The reliance on loans has been particularly disappointing to me personally. While on one hand they are less financially risky than transfer fees and long contracts, on the other they leave the club with nothing beyond the season you sign them for. When you finish bottom of the table, all we effectively have done is limit the development of a contracted player and spend a decent amount (Amadou, Duda and Fahrmann will have cost a decent chunk) on resources that have no resale or contribution to our rebuild next year. 

I was pleased to see Webber has held his hands up and admit we got it wrong in the summer. I think he need to really drill down into our scouting framework this summer, and review where it has gone wrong this year to ensure we don't get it wrong again.

While our recruitment team did the business last season they have undoubtedly been found wanting this year and let both Farke and the existing squad down. 

Edited by HertsCanary93
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

If every success is good fortune then subsequent failures must be bad fortune?

Or doesn't it work like that?

Depends on how one measure success and failure!

3 minutes ago, HertsCanary93 said:

I was pleased to see Webber has held his hands up and admit we got it wrong in the summer. I think he need to really drill down into our scouting framework this summer, and review where it has gone wrong this year to ensure we don't get it wrong again.

It was not so much him being "wrong", but just disappointment in the players that were loaned in and disappointed we couldn't get one or two of the targets we were after.

13 minutes ago, Indy said:

This thread sums up why we shouldn’t buy £20 million pound players, imagine if we’d paid the going rate for Amadou, Roberts and Duda, those moaning about lack of investment would be having a field day moaning about wasting our premiership money! Sometimes you just can’t win, one way or the other!

This is actually a very valid point. These three players would have cost what? Maybe £30 million for the three of them? I’d have been disappointed to say the least if we’d have spent that on these very average players. 

1 minute ago, City 2nd said:

Depends on how one measure success and failure!

Not really. Good fortune isn't success. Is it?

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

Not really. Good fortune isn't success. Is it?

Depends on how one measures good fortune doesn’t it?

8 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

There's been a few other times but it's always been from fans in one way or another.

The self funding model is something that has been thrust into the limelight since Webber appeared at the Club. Never heard it mentioned until recent times and is something that to me anyway disguises a lack of external investment and the desire to seek any.

We have moved from Doomcaster and Munbys Charlton model to Webbers self funding model.

13 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Surely the taking round of a blanket and the supporters chipping in isn’t the same model of the self financing model the great Mr Webber and the board and owners of NCFC allude to. For one did the owners chip into that blanket? 

8 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

The self funding model is something that has been thrust into the limelight since Webber appeared at the Club. Never heard it mentioned until recent times and is something that to me anyway disguises a lack of external investment and the desire to seek any.

We have moved from Doomcaster and Munbys Charlton model to Webbers self funding model.

That's pretty much how I see it. And I doubt you could argue against it's success. It's certainly proved more successful than the majority of clubs with external investment. With the caveat that it's had support from the fans.

By external investment I take it you mean change of ownership.  

Edited by nutty nigel