Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

All of our signings this season have been crap

Apart from Byram.

If we lose players in the summer, can we trust that they will be adequately replaced? 

Buying cheap players from Germany has resulted in more dross than good. Add Franke and Heise to that list from before this season.

I'm not even confident at this stage that Rupp and Drmic will be any good in the Championship and Duda looks like he needs 6 months to settle in, completely pointless therefore to borrow him for half a season.

If the plan is to keep signing these German misfits then where are we really going with all this? 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

It is not just German misfits...........Ben Marshall and James Husband.

Every club in the history of football has made poor signings; convenient that you forget all the great signings this team has made in your attempts at whining.

• Like 1

Just now, Hoola Han Solo said:

Every club in the history of football has made poor signings; convenient that you forget all the great signings this team has made in your attempts at whining.

He did say “this season” in the title

Just now, A Load of Squit said:

But he also said 'All'.

Apart from Byram, I tend to agree and if they haven’t been crap, they haven’t been given a chance 

Yeah I made this point earlier in the season and got told it wasnt worth talking about...

Byram is the only signing you can argue improved our squad this season. Everyone else is basically worse than we already had.

1 minute ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Apart from Byram, I tend to agree and if they haven’t been crap, they haven’t been given a chance 

Does that make the update post title 'Apart from Byram and the the ones who haven't been given a chance our signings this season have been crap'?

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Apart from Byram.

If we lose players in the summer, can we trust that they will be adequately replaced? 

Buying cheap players from Germany has resulted in more dross than good. Add Franke and Heise to that list from before this season.

I'm not even confident at this stage that Rupp and Drmic will be any good in the Championship and Duda looks like he needs 6 months to settle in, completely pointless therefore to borrow him for half a season.

If the plan is to keep signing these German misfits then where are we really going with all this? 

It has nothing to do with players from Germany or any other nationality for that matter. The whole squad collectively have not been good enough up to now, plus the injury problems.  You accused me the other day of being a troll, well your contribution is verging on trolling half the time and in this case, dissing players who played in Germany before they came here is just stupid. Vrancic, Hernandez and Zimmermann as well as Farke and his coaching staff have been the major factor in getting us up and who will be crucial next season too if we go down.  Highlighting "players from Germany" is innacurate and verging on just plain vindictive

Webber admitted to a poor summer window. Held his hands up to it and said he'd made mistakes.

Short of resigning there's not a lot more he can do 

Maybe in the future a couple of the youngsters will redeem him a little.

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah I made this point earlier in the season and got told it wasnt worth talking about...

Byram is the only signing you can argue improved our squad this season. Everyone else is basically worse than we already had.

Totally and I can’t see a lot of them being here next season. 

I would question the profile of the type of player we're scouting as well. We're playing in the most physically demanding league in the world and today of all our outfield players only the 2 CB's were over 6ft (barely) and we only have pace in the full back areas. You're going into the game massively handicapped knowing that for certain you're going to lose 9 out of every 10 aerial duels. You take any modicum of control you could have over set piece outcome and leave yourself so vulnerable to crosses. The worst thing is the signings of Rupp and Duda makes it seem like to me lessons aren't being learned and we aren't looking to address our weaknesses. We can pass teams to death in the Championship if we're on our game, you cannot do that at this level unless your team is filled with exceptional talent. 

Why didn't we try to sign an upgrade on Hernandez, a tall, dominating box to box midfielder, an older CB on loan or an attacking midfielder that can dribble and beat a man? There's no guarantee these players would have worked out sure, but even if they wern't very good they would make us more dynamic and harder to play against. Plus you could pretty much guarantee two more lightweight, small, slow pass and move style players with no composure or end product wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference for us this year. 

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Webber admitted to a poor summer window. Held his hands up to it and said he'd made mistakes.

We can but hope!

It's very easy to aquire crap when you are too tight to trade up to the next level

There are always risks attached with buying anyone but the less you spend the higher the risks.

Edited by Making Plans

Just now, Making Plans said:

It's very easy to aquire crap when you are too tight to trade up to the next level or simply take somebody cast off's on loan.

There are always risks attached with buying anyone but the less you spend the higher the risks.

Surely the more you spend the higher the risks?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Making Plans said:

It's very easy to aquire crap when you are too tight to trade up to the next level or simply take somebody cast off's on loan.

Exactly this, as many, including the supporters, owners, Uncle Tom cobbler and all are now finding out. We have gone down this road of failing to capitalize on good fortune so many times.

2 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Apart from new owners, a new head coach, new sporting director and a bunch of players do we need anything else ?

increased stadium capacity!

12 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

Totally and I can’t see a lot of them being here next season. 

Is that a whine ?

I've just remembered that the signings this season haven't been crap it's just that they didn't work out as expected.

A bit like that Alexis Sachez bloke at Man Utd.

Rupp has been good. Much better than expected. It's a successful signing, making it atleast two good ones since summer. I think he'd be even more positive in Championship. It is wrong to blame him for not dominating in PL. He wasn't primarily signed for PL. Duda was. Get your expectations in order. 

As for Duda, it's too early to make judgment about him. I've seen quality in the way he plays that makes you believe that's a £25M player. And now he put in a below-par performance... Unfortunately, we don't really have enough time to wait for that judgment. We need results now. We can only hope for Duda lives up to his abilities. There is no choice really.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Sam McCallum keep yo fingers crossed bruv

In a few weeks time Sam will be playing at Poorman Rd, some enterprising person should book a coach for those curious enough to see him play.

Big fan of Farke and Webber but I was surprised that we didn't lure an equally awesome string of transfers as we did the previous summer window.

I had hoped that there was a list of players that had been just out of reach but who were now approachable... but that didn't seem to materialise sadly.

1 minute ago, Upo said:

Rupp has been good. Much better than expected. It's a successful signing, making it atleast two good ones since summer. 

No he hasn't. He's been crap.

• Like 3

I think everyone, from Webber down to the fans, were a bit naive. The vast majority on here were tipping us to not only stay up, but to avoid a relegation battle in August. It seems that everyone from top to bottom completely underestimated the gulf between the top of the Championship and the bottom of the Premier League, with a lot of posters on here claiming it's a 'myth' and just marketing.

Whilst some will point out how well Sheffield United have adapted, they are very much the exception rather than the rule.

We didn't strengthen anywhere near enough in hindsight and aside from Hernandez on the wing who is quick and direct, all of our players are the same as each other which gives us no alternative options and makes us far too predictable. If our opponent stops plan A, we're stuffed.

18 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

A maybe won't cut it if the self funding model is to be a success.

Edited by TIL 1010