Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Wolves Match Thread.

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

One more go. My comments are about those who say Farke doesn’t know what he’s doing because he doesn’t pick Emi. Not about Emi. Like so much of life, it’s complicated but people want to to reduce things to a simple black or white, yes or no.

It isn't that DF doesn't know what he is doing. He just doesn't get it right every time. As much as players and officials get it wrong, DF is not immune. And we lost against Liverpool. So apart from the defensive change, we named the same team that lost. The same midfield that got overrun.

I don't get the reason for not picking him, from posters today, is that he gets the nark now and again. He does. And I could scream when he sits on his jacksie with his arms in the air. But that is far outweighed by his contribution and the stats back that up.

So until people realise that if you discuss what you see at the time then it was obvious from the start that we were toothless and had no thrust. Great, we had 60% of nothing today. I will take Wolves 40% of everything.

And the lack of inspiration in midfield is showing in Pukki's performances.

And this is the point in a nutshell. I enjoy and good defensive tackle as much as the next man. I really like a fine comanding header at the back to clear away the danger and a good save is always great to watch but.... The most beautiful part of the game is always a goal and we just don't produce enough of them. Despite the "Farkeball" the possession and the other stuff I mentioned, without goals  eventually it will become predictable, and uninspiring and finally boring!

28 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Sadly no to both the miracle and the tide turning.

But perhaps a good example of precisely why Farke doesn't normally make early subs unless he has nothing to really lose or has his hand forced by injury. The subs made us worse rather than better which I think has been the case more often than not this season irrespective when they've been made.

Must admit I'm puzzled as to why Vrancic wasn't the first change but I guess that despite what many on here seem to think Farke is trying to give Emi a chance to reclaim a place.

Did they? Game was 0-0 after those subs....

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, king canary said:

We were at our worst towards the end of the game for me so yes.

Daniel said long ago that his main priority was to make City a regular and consistent top 26 club and right now that is what we are, but truth is we are a consistent top 18-26 club. With so many clubs these days having mega rich or even standard rich owners splashing tens of mill on players it is now plainly obvious and clear that for City to become a top 17 club...even for one season, never mind consistently, is just incredibly difficult with the way our football club is run. I dont say that in a negatve way either, i to am one of those who  would rather have our set up than any of those with  mega rich owners from all over the globe.

We will go down, but another season will dawn, this time with us financially in a much better place than the last time. This does mean that DF and SW will not have the huge massive overhaul situation on and off the pitch that faced them when they first arrived, but of course  it to means  new challenges, seeing what they can do with a much less needed case for  overhaul but still a necessary need to run the club and players the NCFC way. Im looking forward to to their new challenges, have the faith in the guys  to keep delivering  the goods  and keep the club on this present upward path...and it is upward, despite  a relegation imminent.

• Like 3

Had those subs been made at half time, the 3rd goal may well not have gone in. Rupp and Duda were dreadful and never should have come out for the 2nd half. Yet again, the subs were too late. At 3-0, the game is gone and the players know that. 

We still have not come back from behind at any point this season and Farke’s appalling use of subs is the reason why.

Edited by Clint
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hillhead said:

We were at our worst towards the end of the game for me so yes.

We were crap throughout. I don't think the lack of impact from the subs today when we were already 3-0 down and showing no sign of getting back into the game is a great argument against making changes earlier.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Essjayess said:

Daniel said long ago that his main priority was to make City a regular and consistent top 26 club and right now that is what we are, but truth is we are a consistent top 18-26 club. With so many clubs these days having mega rich or even standard rich owners splashing tens of mill on players it is now plainly obvious and clear that for City to become a top 17 club...even for one season, never mind consistently, is just incredibly difficult with the way our football club is run. I dont say that in a negatve way either, i to am one of those who  would rather have our set up than any of those with  mega rich owners from all over the globe.

We will go down, but another season will dawn, this time with us financially in a much better place than the last time. This does mean that DF and SW will not have the huge massive overhaul situation on and off the pitch that faced them when they first arrived, but of course  it to means  new challenges, seeing what they can do with a much less needed case for  overhaul but still a necessary need to run the club and players the NCFC way. Im looking forward to to their new challenges, have the faith in the guys  to keep delivering  the goods  and keep the club on this present upward path...and it is upward, despite  a relegation imminent.

yep, look back a couple of years and the mess we were in.

1 hour ago, JF said:

Ridiculous post. He is our most creative player and statistically one of the leagues most creative players.

Yes, but that's just stats and interesting though they may be they don't tell the whole story, especially if you are selective with them - he may score highly for assists and tackles but where is he on goals scored or goals gifted to the opposition?

Of course we've had glimpses this season of the fantastic talent we saw last season on a regular basis but today was yet another game where he didn't contribute enough to justify a place, even as a sub - Vrancic also provides assists and is consistently good with corners and free kicks, whereas Emi isn't even managing to produce those at the moment. So until Emi can find some form from somewhere (and clearly he's not impressing Farke in training) I don't really see that Farke has any option but to sit him on the bench.

1 hour ago, Doomcaster said:

Stieperman is never going to be good enough for the Prem - never was

Keep him for the drop to the Championship - he maybe ok again?????

Good luck to NCFC in the Championship next season - I expect the Management Team to get us PROMOTED

Expectations will be sky high, Farke and the players will be under pressure right from the off.

It's been a free hit this season for many on here with many excuses, some valid, some not. But next season Farke and Webber have to deliver.

1 hour ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Maybe Farke just doesn’t have the man management skills to deal with difficult personalities? Happened with Olivera, seems to be happening with Buendia. Farke plays the steady, meek players instead of the talented ones with attitude, and the end result is a set of timid performances.

What?? 

Farke played the Oliveira situation perfectly. He got the problem out of the team and then out of the club (after giving him opportunities in the starting 11) and then continued getting together a squad that actually played for each other, not just themselves.  We then got promoted as champions.

Farke is trying to get a reaction out of Buendia by keeping him on the bench. As he stated in the interview, it worked earlier in the season. This time round, Buendia isn’t showing what Farke wants to see, either on the pitch or in training (apparently)

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

We were crap throughout. I don't think the lack of impact from the subs today when we were already 3-0 down and showing no sign of getting back into the game is a great argument against making changes earlier.

To be fair I was responding to you using the scoreline to determine how well we played during a select period of the game. Which I still disagree with.

I would agree that theres little you can read into it when already 3-0 down though. Wolves can play with freedom and one of my biggest criticisms with us this year is that we just deflate when we go behind. I honestly think if you were to score every team in the prem this season on how much they diminish after a set back we are surely leading that table. Seen it time and time again this season. Why that is I don't know. 

20 minutes ago, Clint said:

Had those subs been made at half time, the 3rd goal may well not have gone in. Rupp and Duda were dreadful and never should have come out for the 2nd half. Yet again, the subs were too late. At 3-0, the game is gone and the players know that. 

We still have not come back from behind at any point this season and Farke’s appalling use of subs is the reason why.

Exactly.

At 2-0 down we needed to come out swinging and put them on the back foot. Instead we meekly let them grab a third and ruined any chance of a comeback.

• Haha 1

Must say i was disappointed in the way we started 2nd half.  No fast n Furious 10 mins to put them on the back foot. in fact i texted a mate 'slow start 2nd half both teams. Ooops 3 nil.'

50 minutes ago, king canary said:

Fair enough, that's certainly one way to look at it but that could explained by many things not least the obvious one that Wolves were content to see out the game at 3-0.

But IMO we, as a team, looked worse for the subs rather than better - do you think differently?

1 minute ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Fair enough, that's certainly one way to look at it but that could explained by many things not least the obvious one that Wolves were content to see out the game at 3-0.

But IMO we, as a team, looked worse for the subs rather than better - do you think differently?

I thought looked crao from about the 20th minute to the end of the match. 

As you point out, wolves were already 3-0 up, which suggests what we were doing was working really really badly so needed changing.

Hopefully that's the end of Tettey and Cantwell for a while... Rupp too. I think Duda has the x-factor, but needs the right players around him. We seriously lack pace, directness and creativity... Therefore surely Farke has to play Vrancic, Bunedia, Hernandez (hopefully fit) and possibly Drmic?

Essentially back to the attacking players that did it for us last season. The players that have come in to replace them have proven they won't get a result in this league. Steipermann should get another chance too. 

Godfrey is finished this season at CB.. Has to be Zim and Hanley - Byram is a huge loss. Farke would be better served swallowing some pride and trying Godfrey in the CDM role. 

As for the Buendia situation, it's worrying. Possibly another example of Farke and a very limited set of man management skills?

Today, yet again, felt like Farke didn't pick his strongest side. I like Farke, but its becoming tiresome. You could see that result coming from the minute the team selection was released. 

Almost apathetic for the rest of the season now. 

Edited by Il Pirata

2 hours ago, Hillhead said:

Buendia has had some great games for us this season and I think if we were to try and put together a highlight reel of best moments from this season he'd feature on a few of them - and its these sorts of memories that stick in peoples minds in games where nothings happening and Buendia's on the bench.

What they forget though, is the games where he has been on the pitch and cost us, Watford at home was one. Burnley, Palace and West ham away just 3 examples where he offered little and would leave us exposed with his antics on the pitch. We lack in ability and trip ourselves up enough as it is without having remove himself from periods of the game. We can't afford that.

I hope he improves this side of his game and I do think he will. Currently Buendia's ability level wouldn't see him at Liverpool, United, City or Spurs, so if he's going to be a top flight player he's going to have to improve his attitude when things aren't going his way because any club he'd go to will be in a similar position.

To be fair to Emi, he did more in the first 3 minutes on the pitch than Rupp and Duda had done combined in the hour they were on the pitch.... I'd be pissed off if I was being kept out the team by those two who have done pretty much **** all since theyve been here and were parachuted straight into the side without earning a bit of it on merit. They were ****ing awful today.

I'm not trying to dig at Rupp here, I think he'll be a great player in the Championship, but he clearly isn't up to speed and offers very little at this level. Would Emi really do any worse?

Duda can f*** right off for me - not interested, touch of a trampoline and bottling every tackle.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Shambolic.

No positives.

Another week closer to relegation.

All too tedious and predictable now.

Another week closer to relegation is a definite positive.

Away from VAR. Away from the plastic brigades and back to proper football.

We need some serious help in the summer though, Delia is going to have to give Webber some money to work with.

Not only has Farke effected the least change in a match in his limited use of substitutions in the PL this season, but he must have surely offered the least inspirational half-time team talks through the entire season.

He hasn’t done his squad any favours by accepting 20th spot since the start of the season.

If he ever gets another crack at the PL, I hope he takes huge lessons from his shortcomings this season.

4 minutes ago, kick it off said:

To be fair to Emi, he did more in the first 3 minutes on the pitch than Rupp and Duda had done combined in the hour they were on the pitch.... I'd be pissed off if I was being kept out the team by those two who have done pretty much **** all since theyve been here and were parachuted straight into the side without earning a bit of it on merit. They were ****ing awful today.

I'm not trying to dig at Rupp here, I think he'll be a great player in the Championship, but he clearly isn't up to speed and offers very little at this level. Would Emi really do any worse?

I agree. I just meant in general if Buendia would clean up that side of his game it wouldn't be a question of whether he should start or not. For me right now unfortunately it is. 

It's frustrating for me because it's not ability holding him back, its something easily rectified. I do think he'll mature and if he does stay with us long term then imo the last 6 months or so will ultimately prove to be his poorest spell for us. He's got the potential to be a great player.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Just as well Pukki didn’t get a couple of goals, they wouldn’t have counted anyway 😜

Pukki doesn't look like scoring again this season with the form he's in. Think it's time to give him a rest. Last season he was clinical because he didn't think, he just did. This year he is taking way too long to think about everything he does. 

33 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Duda can f*** right off for me - not interested, touch of a trampoline and bottling every tackle.

Exactly how I saw the game. 

at least for the first half of the season we were playing a lot of good football going forward and always threatened goals. 

Today before Emi came on we were as bad as when Hughton was in charge. 

26 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Pukki doesn't look like scoring again this season with the form he's in. Think it's time to give him a rest. Last season he was clinical because he didn't think, he just did. This year he is taking way too long to think about everything he does. 

Agreed.

There was one moment in the second half where he got the ball running into the area but out a bit wide. Pukki from 4 months ago was taking that shot and trying to put it across the keeper. Current Pukki tried to turn back in and lost the ball.

11 minutes ago, king canary said:

Agreed.

There was one moment in the second half where he got the ball running into the area but out a bit wide. Pukki from 4 months ago was taking that shot and trying to put it across the keeper. Current Pukki tried to turn back in and lost the ball.

Should we now think about giving Idah some game time in preparation for next season or Drmic? I agree Pukki looks like he could do with a rest and reset. Might do him good a week or two on the bench.

34 minutes ago, Indy said:

Should we now think about giving Idah some game time in preparation for next season or Drmic? I agree Pukki looks like he could do with a rest and reset. Might do him good a week or two on the bench.

A week or two of rest probably wouldn't hurt Pukki but I really don't think he's the problem.

Last season he got a lot of chances and all credit to him he put an awful lot away but not all of them - no striker ever does that.

This season he has been mostly feeding on scraps and he's still put a very respectable number away but if he misses the only chance he gets in a game that's seen (by many) as a drop in his standard/performance.

That seems pretty unfair and unrealistic to me - he's up against better defenders, better keepers and worse of all up against VAR. IMO the Spurs game at Carrow Road was a key turning point for his season - he scores a perfectly valid and brilliant goal, as good as anything from last season, and it is ruled out by VAR. Not only does that cost us two points but what does it do to a striker whose whole game is based upon great runs off the shoulder of the last defender and which this sh*t technology is incapable of judging accurately? Based on what we what we've seen this season its nowhere near as good as the linos it's replaced.

Anyway call it co-incidence if you prefer but Pukki's form has definitely dropped off it a bit since that game and why wouldn't it - what is the point of making that perfectly timed run and clear chance if some idiot 100 miles away is going to spend several minutes looking for a reason to disallow the goal.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Agreed.

Pukki is crap lets sell him