Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Wolves Match Thread.

9 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Reality is seldom popular but its clear that the step up was too steep this season. Fragility in defence gets punished in this league.

Aye Ricardo(o) we were leaky enough last season, against better teams this season, it was always gonna be tough. Still not convinced by Godfrey. looks great, but is he? really? 

17 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Are you saying what I described didn’t happen? If he got a yellow card within 10 minutes of coming on, he’s a walking risk of us going down to 10 men if he carries in like that over 90 minutes. 

This sounds like I don’t think he should play, I need to emphasise that I do think he’s a great player for us, BUT  there are risks if he plays. We’re weaker defensively, and as I say, there’s a greater chance of going down to 10 men, or him having to be hauled off to avoid it.

Even if that’s the case, and I’m not convinced he carries any more risk of a red card than any other player, we’re not in a position where we can afford to leave our most talented and creative player who also links up with Pukki on the bench because of his alleged temperament 

2 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

I'm not judging him on today at 3-0 down. It's not just today though is it ? He's been like it all season.

Someone said he left the field in a right huff. Is that going to get him a regular starting place ? Oliviera can testify that Farke stands no nonsense with players who sulk so it looks like the exit beckons.

Buendia has had some great games for us this season and I think if we were to try and put together a highlight reel of best moments from this season he'd feature on a few of them - and its these sorts of memories that stick in peoples minds in games where nothings happening and Buendia's on the bench.

What they forget though, is the games where he has been on the pitch and cost us, Watford at home was one. Burnley, Palace and West ham away just 3 examples where he offered little and would leave us exposed with his antics on the pitch. We lack in ability and trip ourselves up enough as it is without having remove himself from periods of the game. We can't afford that.

I hope he improves this side of his game and I do think he will. Currently Buendia's ability level wouldn't see him at Liverpool, United, City or Spurs, so if he's going to be a top flight player he's going to have to improve his attitude when things aren't going his way because any club he'd go to will be in a similar position.

Maybe Farke just doesn’t have the man management skills to deal with difficult personalities? Happened with Olivera, seems to be happening with Buendia. Farke plays the steady, meek players instead of the talented ones with attitude, and the end result is a set of timid performances.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Maybe Farke just doesn’t have the man management skills to deal with difficult personalities? Happened with Olivera, seems to be happening with Buendia. Farke plays the steady, meek players instead of the talented ones with attitude, and the end result is a set of timid performances.

So you want farke gone?

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Aye Ricardo(o) we were leaky enough last season, against better teams this season, it was always gonna be tough. Still not convinced by Godfrey. looks great, but is he? really? 

Neither am I.

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

...the equivilent of Worthington picking Graham Stuart over David Bentley..

Graham Stuart is a plaaaaaaar

Stieperman is never going to be good enough for the Prem - never was

Keep him for the drop to the Championship - he maybe ok again?????

Good luck to NCFC in the Championship next season - I expect the Management Team to get us PROMOTED

Just now, Ward 3 said:

So you want farke gone?

No, I just want our best players on the pitch. Attitude or not, we aren’t getting results playing the current ones.

• Like 1

Our team is full of technical players who can keep the ball for a decent amount of time. 

Our main goal threat seems to come from someone playing a through ball to Pukki, or maybe working an opportunity via pass and move. 

We don't have any physicality up front, no particular pace and no one who can hit it from 18 yards. Teams have sussed us out and they know 9 games out of 10, they can just stay organised at the back, safe in the knowledge that we will concede at least one. 

The fact that both of our jan signings were subbed after 60 mins was telling. Rupp is another technical player who can pass all day long. Is he going to score/assist much? No. I don't know what Duda brings to the team, apart from some basic build up play. 

As frustrating/stroppy as Buendia can be, he (and possibly Cantwell) are the only players who are able to take risks and make that incisive pass. 

Today was a perfect example of passing it around brilliantly, yet with no goal threat whatsoever. Add poor defending to that and it was a straight forward game for Wolves. They didn't even play that well.

Just now, Canary Wundaboy said:

No, I just want our best players on the pitch. Attitude or not, we aren’t getting results playing the current ones.

Fair response, cant disagree with that.

Delia isnt worried she will still get a fair few million 

Just now, Ward 3 said:

So you want farke gone?

No, he just needs the kind of backing that is beyond us financially. I really dont know what we can do about that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I feel Buendia negates his talent when he spends time sulking and on the floor.

You say thats Farke lacking man management skills but when I try to think of how the likes of Ferguson or Klopp would deal with that I imagine it would be with the player finding himself a new club. We don't have the option and need to get the best out of him.

Farke isn't accountable for that aspect of Buendia or Olivera's personality. They are. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hillhead said:

I feel Buendia negates his talent when he spends time sulking and on the floor.

You say thats Farke lacking man management skills but when I try to think of how the likes of Ferguson or Klopp would deal with that I imagine it would be with the player finding himself a new club. We don't have the option and need to get the best out of him.

Farke isn't accountable for that aspect of Buendia or Olivera's personality. They are. 

True, probaly the reason Buendia went from Real Madrid to the Dizzy heights of Getafe...who beat Ajax the other day, so he wasnt crucial to them improving.

opening 3 words of Scouts report ; Highly Talented but..........

27 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

Oh did we have 11 on the pitch then? Didn’t seem like it!

Kind of a fair point! But .. we had 60% possession, so it’s more like the 11 we had were just not effective enough.

12 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Farke has EXACTLY the right management skills to deal with a*sey players......toe the line or you don't play.

You need team players, not Billy Big B*llox types.

• Like 2

Just now, ......and Smith must score. said:

Excuses. We got beat fair and square and were lucky it wasn't five or six.

Did I say anything about them being excuses for our defeat???

Poor refereeing when it occurs, and VAR invariably, kill the excitement and entertainment of the game irrespective of the result.

Wolves were the better side but we knew that before the game. Interesting though that you use the phrase 'fair and square' because that's the one thing that it wasn't - its very likely that Wolves would have won the game anyway especially given our habit of folding late on but we made a pretty decent start to the game before several gifts from the ref gave Wolves the initiative and total control of the game. From that point on it could well have been five or six but without the initial asssitance from the ref it could, just possibly, have turned out differently - but of course we'll never know.

8 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Did I say anything about them being excuses for our defeat???

Poor refereeing when it occurs, and VAR invariably, kill the excitement and entertainment of the game irrespective of the result.

Wolves were the better side but we knew that before the game. Interesting though that you use the phrase 'fair and square' because that's the one thing that it wasn't - its very likely that Wolves would have won the game anyway especially given our habit of folding late on but we made a pretty decent start to the game before several gifts from the ref gave Wolves the initiative and total control of the game. From that point on it could well have been five or six but without the initial asssitance from the ref it could, just possibly, have turned out differently - but of course we'll never know.

Clutching at straws.

This season is all gone - we will be a Championship Club next season

Now we need to plan for promotion in the Championship League

Sell highly prized players - if they make they max their £££ potential

NCFC will try and bring through new young players, and make loads of cash from them

No problem - if we want to be a yo-yo Club for another 30 years (ok with me tbh)

My thoughts - better a financially stable Club with Delia & Hubby, than a mega rich owner who just don't care about NCFC

We needed every bit of fortune this year . We needed to carry forward the fearless mental attitude that we walked off the pitch with after the Blackburn and Villa games. We needed some luck with injuries , decisions and moments - none of which we got after the West Ham game.

The coaching staff haven’t got to grips with the Prem. The confidence has drained out of the players. Some of the players , or their agents, thought they were good enough , but they collectively are not. 

it’s disappointing rather than surprising . We have some quality but that is negated by bigger faster more accomplished opponents. 

I say again, how many of our starting 11 would get into many prem teams? When you include the two most recent signings in that list you are in trouble . 

Today we started with some possession but didn’t threaten. We then got caught out of shape as we so often do . It looked like handball. The second goal looked like a foul on Aarons. And so it continues. But you have to take your chances , stop giving the ball away and defend as a unit . 

Just pray the Binners don’t come up this year. 

46 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Ok, I’ll spell it out. He’s our most creative player, but there are significant downsides to playing him. For each game, Farke has to decide if the positives outweighs the negatives. And because there are such strong negatives, anyone who argues every time that he doesn’t start that Farke is making a poor decision is being simplistic at best.

Now I'm really confused

One more go. My comments are about those who say Farke doesn’t know what he’s doing because he doesn’t pick Emi. Not about Emi. Like so much of life, it’s complicated but people want to to reduce things to a simple black or white, yes or no.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Kind of a fair point! But .. we had 60% possession, so it’s more like the 11 we had were just not effective enough.

That’s just it NS, Farke appears to think possession stats will win us games, we have been way ahead in possession in many matches this season, and lost! One can only wonder when the penny will drop!

1 hour ago, unique said:

Miracles are finally starting to happen.......

...two substitutes given more than 30 minutes a piece.

Is the tide turning?

Sadly no to both the miracle and the tide turning.

But perhaps a good example of precisely why Farke doesn't normally make early subs unless he has nothing to really lose or has his hand forced by injury. The subs made us worse rather than better which I think has been the case more often than not this season irrespective when they've been made.

Must admit I'm puzzled as to why Vrancic wasn't the first change but I guess that despite what many on here seem to think Farke is trying to give Emi a chance to reclaim a place.

One more go. My comments are about those who say Farke doesn’t know what he’s doing because he doesn’t pick Emi. Not about Emi. Like so much of life, it’s complicated but people want to to reduce things to a simple black or white, yes or no.

It isn't that DF doesn't know what he is doing. He just doesn't get it right every time. As much as players and officials get it wrong, DF is not immune. And we lost against Liverpool. So apart from the defensive change, we named the same team that lost. The same midfield that got overrun.

I don't get the reason for not picking him, from posters today, is that he gets the nark now and again. He does. And I could scream when he sits on his jacksie with his arms in the air. But that is far outweighed by his contribution and the stats back that up.

So until people realise that if you discuss what you see at the time then it was obvious from the start that we were toothless and had no thrust. Great, we had 60% of nothing today. I will take Wolves 40% of everything.

And the lack of inspiration in midfield is showing in Pukki's performances.

Really though, two subs at 3-down. What’s the point? It would’ve been a miracle at 2-down to get something out of that game but perhaps there was still a very vague hope if we’d have brought subs on at half-time. There was certainly nothing to lose at that point.