Sign in to follow this  
The Real Buh

VAR - what needs to happen

1. Mike Riley needs to go now, not at the end of the season, now. Just f@&!ing leave.

2. Full investigation into how VAR was so poorly used this season

3. separate open investigation into corruption within the PGMOL. Not necessarily suggesting there is but clarity is needed frankly

4. Root and Stem reform of referee training. The standards of our referees has literally never been worse. We now have referees failing fitness tests and VAR referees who mess up badly refereeing in another match the same day. The whole system needs a training and procedure overhaul

5. Suspend VAR indefinitely until this is completed sufficiently.

The way it is being used is a scandal. There are rules in place which they are simply not using.....like "clear and obvious mistakes". 

The two decisions that went against Bn'mth yesterday, were just despicable. Both "handballs" were on the shoulder where it joins the arm and it is IMPOSSIBLE to tell exactly where the ball hit, so the decisions of the ref should have been followed as there was no CLEAR and OBVIOUS mistake.  But these VAR refs seem to think they know better. 

Generally, many of these marginal decisions are just not made in the spirit of the game. Micro-analysis has been seen to be flawed, offsides not accurately judged because it is impossible to accurately judge them, handballs just as contentious as before VAR.  It is a joke and I actually think it is just the ineptitude of the refereeing training heirachy that is the problem, not VAR itself. They are simply failing in their duty to the game. 

Will they change in the face of all the criticism?  Probably not, they will just close ranks and make it even worse next season. I can't see them doing anything that makes them look or admit that they are wrong in any way.  Officialdom is like that - they will not change it just because they are told it is wrong - they need to accept they are wrong and acknowledge it publicly - and they just won't do that.

Scrap it totally - it's ruining the game.

The fiasco at Chelsea yesterday when they admitted they got it wrong proves the point. It all comes down to the opinion of one person, some may look at an incident and say free kick, or a free kick and a yellow card, or a free kick and a red card - all while we wait for the decision to be made, even though they have the benefit of umpteen camera angles. Let's go back to having the men, and women (Ref and assistants) make the decisions. OK so in our opinions they don't always get it right, but neither does VAR, and we have the wait for the wrong decision too. The standard of Reffing could be improved by trying to get some uniformity in decision making, but as I said earlier it just comes down to one persons opinion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CANARYKING said:

The only good thing about relegation........ NO MORE VAR

Tbh with you mate I can’t wait to be down so we don’t have to deal with it at this stage. VAR has ruined top level football.

VAR is useless . There are just as many cockups,  if not more ,than in the past. The difference is that before, a couple of choruses of " you dont know what you're  doing "  and " the referees a W" and incidents were in the past, and fans move on. VAR just keeps the agony going. Scrap it asap .

• Like 1

I'm worried about this afternoon's game. Recent high profile f**k ups where players clearly should have been sent off and haven't been. So every chance they'll massively over react in the other direction this afternoon and send one of our players off for breathing on a Wolves player.

40 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Whether Liverpool like it or not, the fact is this season is a write off because of VAR. it’s just a fact.

I doubt Liverpool fans will be crying in their cornflakes about it; they've won the league by being far and away the best team. Had to happen sooner or later I guess. ☹️

OTBC

3 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

I doubt Liverpool fans will be crying in their cornflakes about it; they've won the league by being far and away the best team. Had to happen sooner or later I guess. ☹️

OTBC

They would have won this season with VAR or not but this season has just been a write off in my opinion. Too many mistakes all over the league for it to be considered in any way fair

Just now, The Real Buh said:

They would have won this season with VAR or not but this season has just been a write off in my opinion. Too many mistakes all over the league for it to be considered in any way fair

The implementation of VAR has been nothing less than a complete and utter sh1t show. Personally, I never wanted it, but even I've been astonished by the rank amateur nature of how they've gone about it. Do they pick their decisions out of their ar5e after checking the 10 different angled replays in ultra-slow mo? 

Update: I've just found some old footage of the precursor to Premier League VAR. I think I'm beginning to see the problem...

OTBC

Got to feel sorry for Bournemouth yesterday going from 1 - 1 to 2 down in thanks to VAR

Surely what needs to happen is that we bung the PL more cash so that we get the benefit of the dodgy decisions, not the team we’re playing against?

• Haha 1

The non red card yesterday against the Spurs player has to down with Pukki's goal as one of the biggest mistakes. Perhaps even the Bornmouth goal which was oddly disallowed.

The apology and quick admittance that the foul/stamp yesterday was called wrong is an easy one to put your hands up to as it was not a game changing VAR decision.

There will be a clear correlation at the end of the season with who has been disadvantaged the most and visa versa because of VAR and it it be very similar to the actual PL final standings. Who'd have thought that?

The daft thing is people are saying its the first season and it will work. How? If someones opinion is that it is or isn't  a goal then how will it change next season? Someone will be disadvantaged.

On 23/02/2020 at 12:11, Thirsty Lizard said:

I'm worried about this afternoon's game. Recent high profile f**k ups where players clearly should have been sent off and haven't been. So every chance they'll massively over react in the other direction this afternoon and send one of our players off for breathing on a Wolves player.

They damn well did their best, Thirsty

VAR needs to be used by people at the match. Either:

1) If the ref is unsure, he should go to the pitch sideTV screen and double check the replays.

2) If the players think that something has happened, they should be able to appeal to the ref - who will then review it again on the pitch side tv monitor.

Technicians can sort out the lines/replays etc but they shouldn't be part of the decision making process. So many times this season, the VAR refs have interfered when no one in the stadium has complained or appealed, which ruins it. 

It's a very simple fix.

When it came in I assumed VAR would be like commentary for the referees. They make notes over the headset and if there's something they think looks sufficiently dodgy they can invite *the man in charge* to check it on the pitchside monitor where he can then examine his own decision. If something is absolutely blatant- some would call this 'clear and obvious'- the ref should be able to trust that call and go with it, as  the *man in charge*. It's really a case of the people using the technology being sensible and responsible officials.

Just do that.

It should mean that the man on the pitch has the best chance of doing his best job and being able to second-guess himself when he has it wrong, but the PGMOL are one of the oldest, whitest groups in the country and aren't going to start admitting their own mistakes in an honest and humble fashion. Hence why the technology is being used in the most absurdly forensic manner so that  they can hide behind it and say 'we can't possibly be wrong, we're acting to the letter of the law to within half an inch so get over it'.

Agree with most of whats been said here.

I think there is corruption, dont know how much, but I think there is at least some, there is far too much money involved for there not to be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foxchrys said:

Agree with most of whats been said here.

I think there is corruption, dont know how much, but I think there is at least some, there is far too much money involved for there not to be.

Exactly

they are the easiest parties to bribe. The betting market alone is huge.