Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

Bill/City1st

1 hour ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

I did have the 'honour' of being told by him that I wasn't actually me but rather another poster pretending to be me (if that makes any sense). 

I never did find out who I was supposed to be. I was hoping I might turn out to be Ricardo;  I'll probably turn out to be Nuff Said... 

OTBC

The 'White Album' has the answer to that:

'I am he as you are he as you are me
And we are all together.'

5 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

The 'White Album' has the answer to that:

'I am he as you are he as you are me
And we are all together.'

It was the Magical Mystery Tour album.

1 hour ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

It was the Magical Mystery Tour album.

Oh no!!! How could I get that wrong? 😳😳😳 I am way beyond mortified...

PS. In my defence I did at least know the White Album isn’t called the White Album...

Edited by PurpleCanary

Hope he's ok but presumably it's the embarrassment factor regarding him stating time and time again Brexit 100% categorically would never happen

You're right that Bill was unequivocal about his view of things and his opinions were often stated as facts.  If and when these 'facts' don't occur then it may be difficult to come back, especially about Brexit even though that's only half done.  Ironically, he seemed to fall out more with fellow anti-Brexiteers (ref Purple Canary).

However it seemed to me that Bill had enough wit and intelligence to make light of that so I hope, genuinely, nothing amiss has happened.  The last I remember him saying of his activities was that he was cycling in the New Forest.  I hope he got home safely and is 'resting'.

As LDC said, he was always very helpful with streams when one couldn't make the game (home or away).

Edited by wooster

36 minutes ago, wooster said:

You're right that Bill was unequivocal about his view of things and his opinions were often stated as facts.  If and when these 'facts' don't occur then it may be difficult to come back, especially about Brexit even though that's only half done.  Ironically, he seemed to fall out more with fellow anti-Brexiteers (ref Purple Canary).

However it seemed to me that Bill had enough wit and intelligence to make light of that so I hope, genuinely, nothing amiss has happened.  The last I remember him saying of his activities was that he was cycling in the New Forest.  I hope he got home safely and is 'resting'.

As LDC said, he was always very helpful with streams when one couldn't make the game (home or away).

For what it’s worth I’ve always thought his long silence was due to being unable to post, for whatever reason, rather than being unwilling to for fear of being ridiculed for being wrong.

2 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

For what it’s worth I’ve always thought his long silence was due to being unable to post, for whatever reason, rather than being unwilling to for fear of being ridiculed for being wrong.

I tend to agree with you. I don't think a simple thing like being proven wrong would be enough to stop bill posting. I hope he's lurking and will shout up so we know he's at least alright...

13 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I’d have to agree, Purple, and that’s the concern - don’t think he was the type of person that feared being ridiculed, he seemed to thrive on it if anything!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Msnt4lLm-g

greetings.............................snot pickers

I'm rather touched...................................... (well you already knew that)

picked up a text telling me there was a thread on the pinkun

rather embarrassed and touched by the comments, so some of you (some of you) will be pleased to know I'm all ok

long story, and as it's late and I've just got back to the hotel after a gruesome dinner I shall post next week

again thanks for the comments.... rather hit me to be honest 😢

ps check the clip on 14 secs, rather sums up my thoughts - shame some took it too literally

Edited by Bill
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

I'm rather touched...................................... (well you already knew that)

rather embarrassed and touched by the comments, so some of you (some of you) will be pleased to know I'm all ok

long story, and as it's late and I've just got back to the hotel after a gruesome dinner I shall post next week

ps check the clip on 14 secs, rather sums up my thoughts - shame some took it too literally

Hi Bill,

Pleased to hear you’re ok! Been meaning to start this thread for a couple of weeks now as I just thought it was a bit uncharacteristic for such a regular member of the Pink’un community to have just disappeared, and if I’m honest, I did fear the worst! Very pleased to hear this is not the case 🙏
Cheers, Al 👍🏼

5 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Jas the Barclay King is a regular on Facebook and by the chap from Colchester you mean Cameldonum.

Cameldonum was Alan Watkins a onetime Sun journalist who sadly died in late 2016 at the age of 74. I crossed swords with him a number of times because he was a cantankerous old stick but he did make a mark in the world of newspapers in the glory days. I actually attended his funeral in Burnham-on-Crouch, which a very sad and sparsely attended affair.

Alan was originally from Lincoln and held shares in Lincoln City. He had maintained good contacts in the game, and on the occasions when he was minded to be helpful, he had an excellent contacts book.

When it came to recounting his life it was almost an impossible task as he interspersed factual information with imaginary details, so I never did actually find out whether he had actually played in goal for for Aldershot Reserves and whether he broke the news of Robert Maxwell's watery death. Both of these things he claimed.

Another unusual fact, Alan was an afficianado of bus and train timetables! Also a classical music buff. Until very near the end he ran a night desk for a news agency,  and you will probably find that a lot of his posting was in the wee small hours when UK newsdesks are quiet.

I am unable to search or provide a link from the device I am using, but if anyone would like to Google Alan Watkins on the Burnham and Maldon Express website, I think you will find details of his life, his death, and funeral details.

RIP Cameldonum. Gone but not forgotten. 

Edit - just remembered another of his extravagant claims - he claimed credit for breaking the story about Enoch Powell's  notorious 'Rivers of Blood' speech at a low-key fringe gathering in Wolverhampton in the 1960's.   

Edited by Pugin
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

Cameldonum had some spectacular battles with the other old chap that also sadly passed away who’s posting name I can’t recall? The one who got into an argument about someone’s cat? Does any of that make any sense? 

Just driven back from London so I’m sober as a judge ! 

15 minutes ago, Pugin said:

Cameldonum was Alan Watkins a onetime Sun journalist who sadly died in late 2016 at the age of 74. I crossed swords with him a number of times because he was a cantankerous old stick but he did make a mark in the world of newspapers in the glory days. I actually attended his funeral in Burnham-on-Crouch, which a very sad and sparsely attended affair.

Alan was originally from Lincoln and held shares in Lincoln City. He had maintained good contacts in the game, and on the occasions when he was minded to be helpful, he had an excellent contacts book.

When it came to recounting his life it was almost an impossible task as he interspersed factual information with imaginary details, so I never did actually find out whether he had actually played in goal for for Aldershot Reserves and whether he broke the news of Robert Maxwell's watery death. Both of these things he claimed.

Another unusual fact, Alan was an afficianado of bus and train timetables! Also a classical music buff. Until very near the end he ran a night desk for a news agency,  and you will probably find that a lot of his posting was in the wee small hours when UK newsdesks are quiet.

I am unable to search or provide a link from the device I am using, but if anyone would like to Google Alan Watkins on the Burnham and Maldon Express website, I think you will find details of his life, his death, and funeral details.

RIP Cameldonum. Gone but not forgotten. 

Finally the (sad) answer to an age old missing poster mystery, thank you Pugin. I seem to vaguely remember now that he’d not been in the best of health during the latter part of his Pink’un posting days. In the link below, well in the comments section anyway, somebody points out that he was both a Colchester and Lincoln supporter, no mention of NCFC but I remember the Colchester link but it makes me wonder what interest he had in a message board for Norwich City supporters? Anyway, sorry to hear the news, but thanks for the info Pugin 👍🏼. RIP Cameldonum

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/former-sun-news-editor-alan-watkins-described-as-a-legend-in-the-industry-after-his-death-aged-74/

6 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Cameldonum had some spectacular battles with the other old chap that also sadly passed away who’s posting name I can’t recall? The one who got into an argument about someone’s cat? Does any of that make any sense? 

Just driven back from London so I’m sober as a judge ! 

That had to be Wiz or Cluck I’m guessing, GPB?

Edit - must be Wiz as I don’t think it was ever confirmed what happened to Cluck, although to this day I still am absolutely certain I had a random meeting with him at a pub in Dorset. I think that was around the time all Pink’un moderators started their usernames with the prefix ‘Sportsdesk’, and one day Cluck changed his name to ‘Sportsdesk Cluck’ which didn’t go down too well with the mods haha 😂

Edited by Alex Moss
Auto correct

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:

Of course - First Wizzard! Thanks Alex . I’m sure there was something about a cat but that might be my brain playing tricks . First Wizzard and Camelodun (or cameldung I think Wizard called him) went at each other on any given topic. It was comedy gold . Sad that they have both passed. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

There's some extraordinary stuff to be found online about Alan M Watkins. Check out an online news agency called Narvike and an item called 'The Mysterious Mr Watkins'. 

7 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Of course - First Wizzard! Thanks Alex . I’m sure there was something about a cat but that might be my brain playing tricks . First Wizzard and Camelodun (or cameldung I think Wizard called him) went at each other on any given topic. It was comedy gold . Sad that they have both passed. 

Yes, just edited my post as I realised it was only ever confirmed by a relative what happened to Wiz and not Cluck, so it had to be him, god rest his soul. I remember that now, ‘Cameldung’, haha 😂. To be fair, if people think LDC is a windup merchant, then they obviously never knew Wiz, Cluck and his young apprentice, Smudger - now they were serious pros haha.

51 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Yes, just edited my post as I realised it was only ever confirmed by a relative what happened to Wiz and not Cluck, so it had to be him, god rest his soul. I remember that now, ‘Cameldung’, haha 😂. To be fair, if people think LDC is a windup merchant, then they obviously never knew Wiz, Cluck and his young apprentice, Smudger - now they were serious pros haha.

LDC is a multi-persona windup merchant.

"picked up a text telling me there was a thread on the pinkun"  .... Of course he did!  Must've been a text from himself mind you.

City1st is a binner

Edited by norfolkbroadslim

7 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Finally the (sad) answer to an age old missing poster mystery, thank you Pugin. I seem to vaguely remember now that he’d not been in the best of health during the latter part of his Pink’un posting days. In the link below, well in the comments section anyway, somebody points out that he was both a Colchester and Lincoln supporter, no mention of NCFC but I remember the Colchester link but it makes me wonder what interest he had in a message board for Norwich City supporters? Anyway, sorry to hear the news, but thanks for the info Pugin 👍🏼. RIP Cameldonum

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/former-sun-news-editor-alan-watkins-described-as-a-legend-in-the-industry-after-his-death-aged-74/

An interesting man that seemed to have lead a good life. It looked like he made sure important stories got out into the world, like Aberfan and CJD and weren't hidden on page 27. Reading some of the comments he was a pioneer of internet use for journalism, trawling these sort of sites for news and gossip.He must have liked this one and stuck around. When my mum was having trouble with NICE he was interested in the story but I never got him involved as I didn't take him too seriously. Knowing what I know now I wish I had.

RIP Cam.

9 hours ago, Bill said:

Glad to hear you are still with us Bill.🇬🇧😁

7 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

I'm sure I remember his saying that his daughter supported Norwich. For myself I always found his perspective on the club interesting. RIP Cameldonum, you always seemed a decent chap to me.

PS just read some stuff about him; I knew I'd heard the name before, but it was a more famous Welsh born journo I was thinking of. Our one had had a fascinating career & range of interests & (apparently) a big influence on the attitude to CJD, which would be a hugely important achievement. Quite a guy.

Edited by ron obvious

6 hours ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

LDC is a multi-persona windup merchant.

No he is not. Thankfully those that know me understand my evolution on here, the early attempts to try and get away from the lake district tag to avoid all the abuse, the attempts to have a bit of fun with a comic character - which to be fair others were doing too - but that was years ago. 

And there is no winding up being done - I say what I think, right or wrong and whether I'm being consistent or not - I am no better or worse in that regard as any football fan with an emotional attachment to a football club.

WYSIWYG

Namaste

Edited by lake district canary

34 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

I'm sure I remember his saying that his daughter supported Norwich. For myself I always found his perspective on the club interesting. RIP Cameldonum, you always seemed a decent chap to me.

PS just read some stuff about him; I knew I'd heard the name before, but it was a more famous Welsh born journo I was thinking of. Our one had had a fascinating career & range of interests & (apparently) a big influence on the attitude to CJD, which would be a hugely important achievement. Quite a guy.

Absolutely. He provided an unbiased but friendly view, with plenty of robust (perhaps too robust in the end) insights into media coverage of the club. He also provided me with a useful snippet of inforrmation when I was writing about Cullumgate, which now seems a long time ago. RIP.

Edited by PurpleCanary

10 hours ago, Bill said:

😀 glad you are ok.

( hope you’ve dried out )