Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

3 in 6 for Srbeny

Including a goal against Munich.

These "sloughbottom park" players dont half do well for themselves.. 

• Like 1

Agreed, he’s doing well mate. This is what puzzles me... If we have a striker playing second fiddle at a club like ours (respectfully), what exactly do people realistically expect? An almost guaranteed goal a game striker sat on the bench season in, season out? You might just about get away with that at a Man City or Real Madrid, but for everyone else that just isn’t going to happen!

Its clear we didn’t want to lose Dennis in January, and would have preferred to keep him here, but he knows his worth and wanted to play regularly rather than come off the bench once every blue moon to score at Everton.

I maintain, as a reserve striker, he didn’t let us down, and actually has provided a few memorable moments. Good luck to him, nicely taken goal against those amateurs Bayern Munich last night 👏

• Like 2

To add to that, given that the life of a reserve striker is usually 10 to 15 mins here and there if they’re lucky, then returning a respectable goal scoring record is extremely difficult and people will go ‘Oh, but he’s only got 1 in 6 appearances’ - which in actual fact can equate to 1 goal every 60 to 90 mins, which is of course a good return. 

Taking Drmic’s injuries aside (not his fault), I think he’s done alright this far too, and I think if we can keep him fit then we’ve got a bit of a player there, something a little different to Pukki.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Do you think Webber was wrong to let him go? Was there more to him than meets the eye?

Glad the lad's doing well. 

OTBC

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

Maybe you could let us know how many of these goals have resulted in Paderborn picking up points. Stats show 1 win in 6 games since he returned to Germany and i don't think he was selected for that particular game.

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Maybe you could let us know how many of these goals have resulted in Paderborn picking up points. Stats show 1 win in 6 games since he returned to Germany and i don't think he was selected for that particular game.

Maybe you can clarify exactly how that's even relevant to the discussion?

It's a strikers job to score goals, he's been doing that well for them, it's not his fault if the defence concede more than he scores ffs!

By that logic you should be kicking off about Pukki as his goals haven't guaranteed wins either!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

It's a strikers job to score goals, he's been doing that well for them, it's not his fault if the defence concede more than he scores ffs!

By that logic you should be kicking off about Pukki as his goals haven't guaranteed wins either!

Indy Bones this whole thread is nonsense as hogesar's 15 word opening post was done for one reason and one reason only. He made 11 posts on the thread running just beneath this one titled Srbeny off that last night was posted upon making reference to the Bayern game. Why he chose to start another thread is pretty obvious when he could so easily have posted on the other one.

13 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

I'm sorry, but bluntly, if Pukki had put away one or two of his clear cut chances in recent weeks, we would have more points and more wins. He hasn't been helped by VAR, but it's the same with any player who plays in the team when their contributions individually have not led to the team getting more wins.  Srbeny has scored three in six - but who knows, he may have missed some chances too which if converted might have got his team more points.  It's a team game after all!

For me there is an argument that you could say to any player - look we are not winning enough games so I'm going to take you out to try someone else - it could be the top goal scorer, the top assist midfield player or a defender or even goalkeeper - there is only so much time you can keep playing the same team and keep losing. You could replace the striker and still keep losing.......but you could keep the striker on in the hope that he scores more, replace all the players around him and the results could still be bad. 

Its a judgement call at the end of the day, but if a team keeps losing, then none of the players should complain if they are left out to try something else to get a bit of momentum going. 

To be fair premiership and bundesliga are two different animals, he wasn’t suited for premiership at a Norwich but is at Padeborn.

The same can be said for Strihavka, went to Slavic from us and scored more goals there including champions league.

Just wasn’t to be.

5 minutes ago, Indy said:

To be fair premiership and bundesliga are two different animals, he wasn’t suited for premiership at a Norwich but is at Padeborn.

The same can be said for Strihavka, went to Slavic from us and scored more goals there including champions league.

Just wasn’t to be.

But we won't in the Prem next season, we'll be in a league where Lukas Jutkiewicz is a good striker.

I have no problems with Srbeny and am pleased to see him scoring. But this is exactly why he left - he wanted to play and asked for the move.

Championship of not next season, I didn't see him starting regularly for us and what with him already being here 2 years and barely getting any game time I can’t blame him for wanting the move rather than spend another 18 months in the same situation. 

best of luck to him.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

But we won't in the Prem next season, we'll be in a league where Lukas Jutkiewicz is a good striker.

Yes and we’ll have Idah who has shown just how effective he is at championship level at Preston this years cup game. So Pukki, Drmic and Idah will take the three strikers shirts.

6 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

This is a new one isn’t it ? If a players scores but you don’t win then it doesn’t count 😂

Oh it certainly counts but for nothing in the context of the game if you fail to win or even draw.

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Oh it certainly counts but for nothing in the context of the game if you fail to win or even draw.

It's what used to get me about certain players - Snodgrass for one - got his goals and given the ball endless times, but in the context of games and a whole season did not help the cause enough to make enough of a difference. 

Out of curiosity, I thought I’d look up Dennis’s stats for this season in the Premier League.

He managed a grand total of 41 minutes for us, scoring 1 goal away at Everton.

So basically that puts him at an average of just over 2 goals a game, bloody hell he’s better than Aguero and Vardy put together! 🤔😂

4 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

I dont care if the rest of his team are crap. If anything that would make him an even better player, scoring despite all that rubbish behind him.

P.S - nice try 😅

6 hours ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Do you think Webber was wrong to let him go? Was there more to him than meets the eye?

Glad the lad's doing well. 

OTBC

I would have kept him because it looks likely we will be in the championship, was apparently on low wages and fitted in well with the squad.

However, he would likely have been third choice in second tier of English football, so the opportunity to be first choice in the Bundesliga was, I'm assuming, something Dennis really pushed for.

So by @TIL 1010’s logic, if Pukki scores 10 tomorrow but we lose 11-10, we can’t congratulate Teemu on the goals (don’t they count then?! 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️)

Edited by Hoola Han Solo
  • Haha 3

Decent player, like most players new to this country he took a few months to settle in and then found himself behind Pukki but far better than ‘not even Championship standard’ as some said. Sometimes things just don’t work out but glad he is doing well now back in Germany. 

Srbeny was most definitely not good enough for us at this level but he’s far better than a conference player. Good luck to him if he’s doing well in Germany 🇩🇪 👍🏻

14 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Decent player, like most players new to this country he took a few months to settle in and then found himself behind Pukki but far better than ‘not even Championship standard’ as some said. Sometimes things just don’t work out but glad he is doing well now back in Germany. 

Not a lot of evidence to back that up really Gordon. 2 Championship goals and 1 assist in 29 appearances. Only started 7 of them. Never really got a proper run of games. One of those players who left us with more question marks than answers for me.

OTBC

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

That's Pukki's goals against Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea which don't count this season then! 

2 hours ago, Indy said:

Yes and we’ll have Idah who has shown just how effective he is at championship level at Preston this years cup game. 

Lets not get too excited by one game Indy, otherwise we'd have to talk about that time Ryan Jarvis scored against Liverpool. Still holds the record for our youngest ever goalscorer too!

I'd like to see us take a punt on Lawrence Shankland personally.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

5 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Well his most recent one resulted in Paderborn equalising just before half time didn't it? I'm sure it seems very intellectual and smug to suggest, in hindsight, that Srbeny's goals are meaningless, but that isn't really how the game works is it?

10 hours ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Not a lot of evidence to back that up really Gordon. 2 Championship goals and 1 assist in 29 appearances. Only started 7 of them. Never really got a proper run of games. One of those players who left us with more question marks than answers for me.

OTBC

I’d file that first season under ‘taking a few months to settle in’. As most of our Germans did. 

Edited by Gordon Bennett

12 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

What a load of nonsense. 

Quick, someone tell Klopp that Robertson is actually rubbish because he was part of a defence that got Hull relegated. While we're at it, better point out the same happened with Wijnaldum and Shaqiri.