Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

It's Not Right Say Aston Villa.

Surely none of that is because Villa are one point above the relegation zone, and potentially back in the Championship next year? :classic_tongue:

I'm sure he'd be saying exactly the same thing if Villa were comfortably midtable :classic_tongue:

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Apologies but just spotted that this got a brief mention in a post on the Webber Interview thread.

No need to apologise when you're drawing attention to this nonsense. The answer to the problem Leeds United face is to get promoted. 

Anyone would think there needs to be a way that clubs with larger support bases could get in a lot more money on a match day than, say, those with 10-20,000 less ground capacity. 

Or that there could be some mechanism such that perceived giants of yore could be made more attractive to billionaires or consortia as their potential play things/investments, compared to smaller & less fashionable clubs - and would thereby get multi million £ bigger transfer/wage budgets.

Feel really sorry for Leeds and Villa for being so hard done by on the money front

The Premier League negotiates their TV deal. The members of the Premier League at any given season are the owners of the league . The owners of the league obtain the best terms they can , and this is distributed. I’m no expert and frankly can’t be bothered to find out , but I suspect that the distribution is more equitable than other major European or Global leagues? 

The EFL can take its wares to market and negotiate with the media companies. EFL will sell to the highest bidder. That the bids are nowhere near the Premier league bids tells you all you need to know about the global attraction of the EFL. 

As i said on the other thread have Leeds been in TV more than us this season? 

Why the Villa bloke is now shouting “it’s not fair” at the AGM could be down to numerous reasons. Perhaps he is diverting attention from their own potential plight of spending another huge chunk of money only to go down again. 

Bloke  sounds worried to me! 

• Like 1

As others have stated, this is nothing to do with the teams but the league they are playing in. I am rather surprised that he did not realise that there is a huge financial chasm between the Premier League and the Championship, it is not something that happened overnight........

Nice of him to look out for Leeds - definitely not because he fears Villa could be in the same position next season I’m sure. 

Was he making the same comments after their playoff win last year?

It’s the thing about collective bargaining in the PL, one of the things that actually works to keep things “fairer” at least within the division. Leeds aren’t in it, and haven’t been for years, which is just one of those things.  I have wondered for a while that the EFL Is undervalued, but you can only get what the market will support...it is perhaps a victim of being in the same country as the PL, as it is certainly one of the most watched leagues.

As to the relative viewing figures - I wouldn’t imagine the likes of Villa v Burnley is a massive ‘pull’ for anyone, the guy seems to have a bit of a bigger opinion of his club than is warranted.

The £100m bonus for being and staying in PL I am sure was the reason the Villa owners invested around £140m to compete in the PL.  Hows that working out for you.  If you are so concerned with the money Leeds are getting I am sure they will accept any monies Villa wish to gift them.  I reiterate the points being made and hope to see Villa in the Championship next season.

Did we get any info on Villa's finances for last season on how much they cheated to get promoted, next year AGM will be interesting.  

Is it fair that Villa openly and blatantly take no notice of FFP ?.

Is it fair that they have spent £160m to our couple of million and we are still in a similar position, or is it because their coaches are not that good ?

Is it fair that we have coached some of the youngest English talent towards the top, whilst Villa have kicked their kids in the teeth, preferring to buy than give kids a chance.

Is it fair that little old Norwich were the best team in the league last year. Leeds have had loads of chances to be in our position but they blew it.

While the comment obviously aimed at us will get a few backs up, is it that outrageous? Obviously teams in the championship, league 1 and league 2 shouldn’t be earning as much as those in the prem because they haven’t got the same pulling power. But the difference of 97 million (if we use the figures in the article) is a bit ludicrous for finishing a few places higher. It keeps the top sides richer and more likely to stay in the prem while sides further down the pyramid are struggling for survival. 

As pointed out above, the premier league makes its own tv deals so fair play to them for getting the best they can. But I don’t think it’s a completely absurd thing to say that the money could filter down the pyramid slightly better, for the good of 92 clubs instead of 20.

28 minutes ago, Aggy said:

While the comment obviously aimed at us will get a few backs up, is it that outrageous? Obviously teams in the championship, league 1 and league 2 shouldn’t be earning as much as those in the prem because they haven’t got the same pulling power. But the difference of 97 million (if we use the figures in the article) is a bit ludicrous for finishing a few places higher. It keeps the top sides richer and more likely to stay in the prem while sides further down the pyramid are struggling for survival. 

As pointed out above, the premier league makes its own tv deals so fair play to them for getting the best they can. But I don’t think it’s a completely absurd thing to say that the money could filter down the pyramid slightly better, for the good of 92 clubs instead of 20.

He could have made the same point though by comparing Leeds with Villa themselves. He chose us because he is implying that teams with bigger fan bases deserve more tv money.

i would hazard a guess that there is very little difference in the average tv audience for our Tv games this season when compared with Villa. In fact it would not surprise me if more neutrals tune in to watch us because despite being rock bottom we have a reputation for entertaining and open games. 

I hardly think that people are flocking to watch Villa given some of the quality of their play. 

What a ****ing tool. Desperately hope they go down now and Leeds **** it up

• Like 1

If the kn0b is that worried then why doesn't he and his load pay Leeds the difference then? Honestly what a muppet. Concentrate on spending 100m+ and being 1 point above the drop zone. 

People seem to have forgotten that Leeds are in the position they are, because they spent money they didnt have chasing a dream they couldn't afford.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Villa are also getting tax payers money to build their new training ground as the route for HS2 goes through their old one.

Looks like HS2 was a huge con by David Cameron to get his team a new training ground for free. 😀

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Villa are also getting tax payers money to build their new training ground as the route for HS2 goes through their old one.

Looks like HS2 was a huge con by David Cameron to get his team a new training ground for free. 😀

If they link it up to Thorpe station we could have a new ground😀😀😀😀

11 minutes ago, ricardo said:

If they link it up to Thorpe station we could have a new ground😀😀😀😀

Yeah, I can't wait for HS-999 to be announced.

• Haha 1

Villaar waste vast sums and make their own financial rules so stfu and donate the difference to Leeds. The TV deal is the deal. In truth he is sewing the seed for their probable relegation.  

• Like 1

The televised fixtures for April have been announced.

Villa will be on Sky and BT no less than 4 times that month.

In fact, you will be able to watch 17 of the 20 Premier League teams.

But there is no place for Norwich, Southampton or Newcastle.

I wonder if Mr Purslow thinks it’s right that his club get televised 4 times that month whilst that rather well supported club up in the NE get’s absolutely zero exposure? Is that fair?

I don't think anyone should be surprised about this. Despite all the wailing on here about us being short of money these clubs can see our club growing. While their assets are owned by all kinds of different people they see us investing in our assets. So Villa probably look at us and weep. All that money that goes through their club to players and agents who upon relegation will either leave or bleed the club dry. Would they be us if they could? Well probably but it's not so easy once you've been through a couple of ownerships. It's difficult to do anything long term because there's no security for them outside the premier league. And all the time they see clubs eyeing up their PL spot. They only crept back in through the playoffs last year after three years parachute money. If they go down this time they'll get two.

So why should Norwich get the same money as them. Norwich don't have debts to service or multi million pound contracts to pay up. It's not fair....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

The televised fixtures for April have been announced.

Villa will be on Sky and BT no less than 4 times that month.

In fact, you will be able to watch 17 of the 20 Premier League teams.

But there is no place for Norwich, Southampton or Newcastle.

I wonder if Mr Purslow thinks it’s right that his club get televised 4 times that month whilst that rather well supported club up in the NE get’s absolutely zero exposure? Is that fair?

It will be interesting to see what happens if Farke's little miracle begins to happen...

7 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

It will be interesting to see what happens if Farke's little miracle begins to happen...

Yes, Eddie - given it’s that time of the season when the European and Relegation places really start getting sorted out, I’m very surprised that we have been omitted entirely.

I can only think that’s because Sky and BT simply don’t give us a hope in hell buddy. Hopefully we’ll turn that on it’s head whilst they show some thrilling 1-0 losses for Brighton and Villa etc.

2 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Yes, Eddie - given it’s that time of the season when the European and Relegation places really start getting sorted out, I’m very surprised that we have been omitted entirely.

I can only think that’s because Sky and BT simply don’t give us a hope in hell buddy. Hopefully we’ll turn that on it’s head whilst they show some thrilling 1-0 losses for Brighton and Villa etc.

I think it’s based on our league position and amount of wins all season.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I think it’s based on our league position and amount of wins all season.

Which is actually my point why you would expect us to be amongst the televised games in the final few weeks...