Sign in to follow this  
Malham Canary

A treat for my Grandad

He is just turned 60 not in the rudest of health but a massive city fan.

His birthday is coming up and I wanted to treat him to some of the corporate entertainment on offer.

Which Β is the best package in terms of being looked after by the club?

I can only talk about the top of the terrace package as I haven’t done any of the others. My wife treated myself, my grandad who is 88 and uses a mobility scooter and my son age 7 to the top of the terrace package for the home game v Wolves & would highly recommend it.

Β 

The package gets you seats behind glass, 3 course carvery lunch & tickets into the Gunn club post match.Β 
Β 

We were taken up to the restaurant in the service elevator. In the restaurant there are no steps/stairs. It’s all on the one level. Table, bar, carvery, match seat, toilets. Post match we got the elevator down a level to the Gunn club & then down to ground floor after that.

Β 

The only negative I can give is that you don’t get car parking at the ground.Β 
Β 

hope this helps

I've done Fan of the match and it was a really good experience - Tour of the ground, meal in the Gunn Club, tickets to the game (regular seating) and access to the Gunn Club afterwards. The gift involved is a shirt (printed as you wish) signed by the entire squad presented by a member of the squad (and the moment is photographed professionally). Also get the name printed in the programme.

The celebration package is similar, but instead of a shirt you get a cake or bottle of Champagne (also presented by a member of the squad and photographed). The meal is in Delias instead of Gunn club, and tickets are in top of the terrace rather than regular seating. You also get a matchday announcement and your name on the official team sheet instead of the programme.

Theres also the Top of the terrace package which is about half the price but doesn't include a tour of the ground or any gift presented by a squad member.

Fan of the match is sold out for the rest of the season but there are still celebration and top of the terrace packages available.

I've sat behind the glass at top of the terrace before and utterly hated it - was very sterilised experience as it's all soundproofed and the crowd noise is piped in at a much lower volume, but that's from an entirely subjective pointΒ of view without having to consider anybody else's experience - obviously it may be entirely appropriate for you and your grandad.

If you can tolerate sitting behind the glass then either of the TOTT or Celebration packages would be decent. If you can get organised for next year (they go on sale for the whole year at the start of the season) then I would 100% say Fan of the Match experience is worth doing at some point, if your grandad is mobile enough for the tour of the ground..

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kick it off said:

I've done Fan of the match and it was a really good experience - Tour of the ground, meal in the Gunn Club, tickets to the game (regular seating) and access to the Gunn Club afterwards. The gift involved is a shirt (printed as you wish) signed by the entire squad presented by a member of the squad (and the moment is photographed professionally). Also get the name printed in the programme.

The celebration package is similar, but instead of a shirt you get a cake or bottle of Champagne (also presented by a member of the squad and photographed). The meal is in Delias instead of Gunn club, and tickets are in top of the terrace rather than regular seating. You also get a matchday announcement and your name on the official team sheet instead of the programme.

Theres also the Top of the terrace package which is about half the price but doesn't include a tour of the ground or any gift presented by a squad member.

Fan of the match is sold out for the rest of the season but there are still celebration and top of the terrace packages available.

I've sat behind the glass at top of the terrace before and utterly hated it - was very sterilised experience as it's all soundproofed and the crowd noise is piped in at a much lower volume, but that's from an entirely subjective pointΒ of view without having to consider anybody else's experience - obviously it may be entirely appropriate for you and your grandad.

If you can tolerate sitting behind the glass then either of the TOTT or Celebration packages would be decent. If you can get organised for next year (they go on sale for the whole year at the start of the season) then I would 100% say Fan of the Match experience is worth doing at some point, if your grandad is mobile enough for the tour of the ground..

Out of interest, who was the player that gave you your bottle of bubbly, KIO? I’ve always wanted to do a stadium tour but for some bizarre reason have never managed it yet.

Ignore the football.......Get GrandpaΒ a season ticket for 'Sugar an Spice'......He'll luv you forever......and the only time you'll see him is when he pops home for a shower, shave, change of clothes and a bite to eat.....Then he's back off out via the ATM, for round two......hundred.Β πŸ˜‰Β 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

Out of interest, who was the player that gave you your bottle of bubbly, KIO? I’ve always wanted to do a stadium tour but for some bizarre reason have never managed it yet.

I did Fan of the Match a few years ago and it was Johnny Howson who presented it as he was MOTM that game - it's not always the MOTM though I don't think, it's whoever the club sends up to do the post-match interview in the Gunn Club.

We sponsored the match ball last season and Cantwell presented us with the ball in the Gunn Club, and we also got on the pitch with Super Mario for a photo after he'd just scored the last gasp equaliser against Sheff Weds. Match ball sponsorship is prohibitively expensive though (although the package is for 4 rather than 2 and it includes seats in the Directors Box).

Forgot to mention - it's a club legend who takes the tours of the ground for fan of the match. I got unlucky with that one as whoever it was meant to be had been taken ill so I had one of the higher ups in the media team take us round (although was quite interesting as he was leaving the next week and was very candid about what it was like to work under McNally and Moxey). We had Bill Punton take us round on the matchball sponsorship. Was hoping for someone I'd seen play and Bill was long before my time but he had some cracking stories about some of the legends he had played against and what footy was like for players back in the day.

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kick it off said:

I did Fan of the Match a few years ago and it was Johnny Howson who presented it as he was MOTM that game - it's not always the MOTM though I don't think, it's whoever the club sends up to do the post-match interview in the Gunn Club.

We sponsored the match ball last season and Cantwell presented us with the ball in the Gunn Club, and we also got on the pitch with Super Mario for a photo after he'd just scored the last gasp equaliser against Sheff Weds. Match ball sponsorship is prohibitively expensive though (although the package is for 4 rather than 2 and it includes seats in the Directors Box).

Forgot to mention - it's a club legend who takes the tours of the ground for fan of the match. I got unlucky with that one as whoever it was meant to be had been taken ill so I had one of the higher ups in the media team take us round (although was quite interesting as he was leaving the next week and was very candid about what it was like to work under McNally and Moxey). We had Bill Punton take us round on the matchball sponsorship. Was hoping for someone I'd seen play and Bill was long before my time but he had some cracking stories about some of the legends he had played against and what footy was like for players back in the day.

Interesting, thanks for that KIO πŸ‘πŸΌ. Would love to hear what the employee whom was leaving said about Moxey and McNally, I bet it was a little eye opening!

3 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Interesting, thanks for that KIO πŸ‘πŸΌ. Would love to hear what the employee whom was leaving said about Moxey and McNally, I bet it was a little eye opening!

Upshot was McNally was a bit aloof but approachable enough and gave any proposals a serious and appropriate amount of consideration. Moxey was a ****.

• Like 1