Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Webber interview

The job of the owners and those that work for them is to keep improving the team. This did not happen this summer. Don't care what model or spend takes to do that... Current Webber record.. one dull season but he had to deal with appalling decisions of the owners in its real poor recruitment the season before. One exception season when no one saw it coming... one poor season (which could turn round but I see no evidence that it will). Webber has yet to prove he can do the job in the top flight as he failed at his previous job and looks like doing so this season. I see relegation as failure.

7 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

The job of the owners and those that work for them is to keep improving the team. This did not happen this summer. Don't care what model or spend takes to do that... Current Webber record.. one dull season but he had to deal with appalling decisions of the owners in its real poor recruitment the season before. One exception season when no one saw it coming... one poor season (which could turn round but I see no evidence that it will). Webber has yet to prove he can do the job in the top flight as he failed at his previous job and looks like doing so this season. I see relegation as failure.

You may, but the people that employ Webber don't. Its just  part of sporting life if you're not one of the top ten Clubs. Acceptance of that which you cannot change will set you free.🕉

19 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

You could argue that season was dull as well as you could it was the transition and laying the groundwork for what was to come. When i look at the developing of our squad and the youth brought in I can only hope the same is happening again now

likewise this season is a failure when measured against what it was possible to achieve this season alone but I don’t think if back in August 2018 we were to offer this to people that we would be have been too disappointed to learn we would be relegated from the prem in 2020. 

if you are going to analyse every season individually and deem it a success or failure then can you name me a team, manager or owner who hasn’t failed yet?

Edited by Hillhead
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Webber joined us  from Huddersfield in April 2017, with Huddersfield on the verge of getting promotion out of the Championship. Taking therm to the Premier League for the first time in their history and back to the top flight for the first time since 1971-72.  Given that Webber joined Huddersfield in 2015 and is regarded as the driving force behind hiring Wagner as coach and bringing in some of the players that secured promotion you seem to have an odd definition of failure.

• Like 2

On 20/02/2020 at 10:35, king canary said:

No we shouldn't 'all know that by now' because it is rubbish.

Debts were cleared pre-promotion (aside from the £5m we borrowed off the fans for the Colney upgrade). So no the cash hasn't helped to clear debts or build the academy/facilities.

We're debt free, will have a turnover of over £100m this season, likely to see our highest ever play sales happen this summer and two years of parachute payments coming in. The idea we can't compete to sign the best players from teams like Blackburn or Reading is ridiculous.

That money borrowed from fans was set up to be paid back (with extra)when promotion was attained? 

We made a loss of £30m+ due to the promotion bonuses though didn’t we? I thought I read on here people were saying  when you consider last season followed relegation this season we were about £25m up? I thought you were present in that thread but I might be getting things wrong.

if right though, it would make sense that we don’t consider British players from the championship when we’re relegated. You can clearly get much better value elsewhere so whys that a worry? I don’t think Webber’s comments mean we won’t have anything to spend at all - just that any money we do have for rebuilding won’t be used on those kind of players. 

im sure it’s less can’t compete and more won’t compete - and I don’t really have a problem with that.

Edited by Hillhead

29 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Webber joined us  from Huddersfield in April 2017, with Huddersfield on the verge of getting promotion out of the Championship. Taking therm to the Premier League for the first time in their history and back to the top flight for the first time since 1971-72.  Given that Webber joined Huddersfield in 2015 and is regarded as the driving force behind hiring Wagner as coach and bringing in some of the players that secured promotion you seem to have an odd definition of failure.

I know of no football fans who don't regard relegation out of a league as 100% failure.. not to seems odd. If a professional sports club / business see's relegation as nothing but failure then it needs to reset its goals and aspirations.. imo.. but there again I have always wanted NCFC to succeed and 2nd tier football does not seem like success. Huddersfield failed to stay in the top flight by the way...

2 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I know of no football fans who don't regard relegation out of a league as 100% failure.. not to seems odd. If a professional sports club / business see's relegation as nothing but failure then it needs to reset its goals and aspirations.. imo.. but there again I have always wanted NCFC to succeed and 2nd tier football does not seem like success. Huddersfield failed to stay in the top flight by the way...

He left Huddersfield as they were on the brink of promotion. It is idiotic to blame Webber for their subsequent relegation.

"if you are going to analyse every season individually and deem it a success or failure then can you name me a team, manager or owner who hasn’t failed yet?"

In the light of the massively positive reaction to Webber interview, I was merely pointing out that, imo, he has a lot to prove yet and he has failed to the top level. I also see his statement on leaving as hypocritical, given his gripes at players seemingly wishing the same. I hope he has a better season next year and learns from his mistakes in the summer and finds a way for NCFC to succeed in the top flight.

So far the owners of Bournemouth, Leicester, Wolves etc.

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

He left Huddersfield as they were on the brink of promotion. It is idiotic to blame Webber for their subsequent relegation.

So it was not his players? Ok.....

4 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Well, if he wasn’t there to oversee their summer transfer window, er...

18 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

No, because after promotion there were then two transfer windows in which Huddersfield signed 11 players on permanant deals and four on loan. That is in effect a whole new squad. And the 11 permanent signings included Mooy at a reported £8m, Mounie at a reported £11.5m and Jorgenson at a reported £3.5m, plus Kachunga etc etc. Plus Pritchard from us for a few million...

So no, it wasn't Webber's players. But by all means carry on ignoring facts and saying silly things. To blame Webber for Huddersfield getting relegated after he'd been long gone is on a par with crediting Gunn rather than Lambert for getting us out of League One.

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Well, if he wasn’t there to oversee their summer transfer window, er...

Webber speaks well and is straightforward. He spoke at a couple of business events I’ve been to.  It would be naive to think that he wouldn’t  accentuate the positives in what he has achieved (signing Pukki and Buendia) and less so the less successful actions ( Amadou and Roberts) . That’s what CEO’s / Senior Director’s do. 

All you can do is draw your own conclusions. Has he done a good job? Last year unquestionably yes. This year , hard to say that he has been successful by any measure at all - even he says so. None of the signings have done a lot ( Byram aside) and we are bottom. 

Missing from his CV is staying in the Prem.  So when other teams come knocking at the moment it will be championship teams looking to emulate NCFC and HTFC . Can he take credit for Huddersfield staying up in year 1? Hard to say. 

Could anyone have kept us up under the financial constraints? Whole new argument / discussion. 

Should we have changed our manager ? Nope . Not in my opinion. I actually like the way Farke isn’t looking over his shoulder . 

Poor start in the Championship next year though ..... 

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

No, because after promotion there were then two transfer windows in which Huddersfield signed 11 players on permanant deals and four on loan. That is in effect a whole new squad. And the 11 permanent signings included Mooy at a reported £8m, Mounie at a reported £11.5m and Jorgenson at a reported £3.5m, plus Kachunga etc etc. Plus Pritchard from us for a few million...

So no, it wasn't Webber's players. But by all means carry on ignoring facts and saying silly things. To blame Webber for Huddersfield getting relegated after he'd been long gone is on a par with crediting Gunn rather than Lambert for getting us out of League One.

Fair enough.. my fault

4 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Still stand by my claim he is yet to prove himself in the top flight especially after his lack of success last summer.

Won’t know until May, but he’s already well exceeded my expectations since his and Daniel’s arrival.

Regardless, we’ve had to contend with an unprecedented amount of injuries in the first half of the season, so who knows how many points better off we could have been, none of us will ever know but I factor that in when rating our season thus far. Stuart’s been a massive success for me, but each to their own.

13 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Fair enough.. my fault

Fair enough too. A friendly thought would be that facts matter (you would hardly think so from current UK and US politics) and I have time to do some research. Not everyone has that advantage. If possible, though, it does help to inform debates.

21 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Hardly ever angry really. I’d like to see this club get promoted again (after this relegation) and then stay up for more than one season. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to happen under this regime.

Er............... silly statement........ we stayed up for three seasons from 2011/12 to 2013/14. Have you forgotten already? 

17 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Er............... silly statement........ we stayed up for three seasons from 2011/12 to 2013/14. Have you forgotten already? 

So if we get relegated it will be 3 instant relegations out of the last four promotions. Even more silly from your good self.

30 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

So if we get relegated it will be 3 instant relegations out of the last four promotions. Even more silly from your good self.

I know that - you were factually incorrect - just hold up your hands and say 'oh yes I was wrong' or 'oh yes I forgot about that'. Kenny Foggo has showed you how to do it higher up this thread.