Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Webber interview

27 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Thanks for that, Ron. I feel very encouraged after reading that. I think whatever happens this season, we do not need to fear losing all of our best players. Sounds like Stuart’s a bit fed up with people sticking their oar in though, people outside the club trying to decide futures for our talent, perhaps whispering in their ear - fortunately we’ve got a man there who can make our players see the bigger picture, and I’d like to think they’ll listen to him. Must say, I really like Stuart’s honesty - he may not always say what you want to hear, but I never ever read or watch one of his interviews and think he’s being any less than 100% matter of fact and incredibly genuine. Here we are, bottom of the league, and weirdly, I’ve never enjoyed being a Norwich City supporter more than I have been now, under his and Daniel’s guidance. They are very much part of what makes me proud to say to other football supporters ‘Yeah, Norwich is my club’.

• Like 7

Cheers Eddie! 🏆. Just in case anyone misses the full length 30 minute documentary on the Sam McCallum thread, I will also include it here - there is a 5 minute version too that is being widely shared, but I’m not sure everyone has noticed that Sky have actually also done a full length version, and no City supporter should miss it, some very interesting stuff folks - Stuart Webber at his dry humoured best too 👍🏼

• Like 2

It will be a sad day for the club when he moves on, very good and honest interview. Also enjoyed the Sam McCullum video 

• Like 2

Less than subtle swipes  at the players , or their advisors , who aren’t yet Trent Alexander or Harry Maguire (world class) but , by implication , think they are? Was that specifically aimed at young defenders? Any guesses ? 

Having to deal with it everyday , when no external offers or interest came in, presumably means some of it emanated from within ? 

Interesting stuff. 

12 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Less than subtle swipes  at the players , or their advisors , who aren’t yet Trent Alexander or Harry Maguire (world class) but , by implication , think they are? Was that specifically aimed at young defenders? Any guesses ? 

Having to deal with it everyday , when no external offers or interest came in, presumably means some of it emanated from within ? 

Interesting stuff. 

I think it was stuff like this that Aarons' camp are putting out.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11903959/max-aarons-how-norwichs-in-demand-full-back-went-his-own-way

"A couple of the big clubs were really into him in the summer, ringing him every day," says Isaksson-Hurst, who still does sessions with Aarons during the off-season. "A lot of players would have been turned by the attraction of a big club and big money, but he's got a very good head on his shoulders.

"He knew that the most important thing was to play. He realised that a season playing as an established Premier League player would be priceless, and if he does go somewhere else, he would need to know that the plan was for him to be the main man in his position. The career of a footballer is so delicate. You've got to make the right decisions for your development."

• Like 1

Certainly a measured response from him (Webber) and well said.

Listening to Raiola on the radio the other day it is easy to see why management get fed up and frustrated with some agents and their players. Especially when they are hawked around publicly whilst still under an extensive club contract which they were quite happy to sign very recently.

It would be good if a number of clubs refused to deal with a particular agent just to restore some balance. However to expect the big clubs to have any moral high ground in this murky world themselves is probably unlikely.

Edited by East Rider
  • Thanks 1

Owns up to misfiring last summer with signings, some straightforward talk directed towards the vultures and perhaps even at players or atleast their agents to keep their sights on this season. Said that if a big club wants to sign, they sign, no rumours necessary. That means Norwich is open for business, no surprise there. Mentioned Madison's £20M price. That's probably the minimum for certain players, again maybe a subtle hint to outside interest to either be ready to pay up serious money or keep hands off. Talked about not wanting to stand in way of young players looking for more playing time, and quite conciliatory towards Amadou etc. Just didn't work out for either party.

He's a good manager. Ready to put foot down, doesn't waste time on excess subtleties, but sensitive enough to not burn bridges either. Being decisive helps Farke do his job as a coach, as he doesn't have to worry about suddenly losing a player or fight other drama.

Webber is going to wring the maximum amount from any prospective buyer. Of that we can be sure too. I think the question then is where the money is going to be put. I think Webber did say that they were better positioned to spend more in the future. I doubt he'd say that if owners were going to withdraw money from the club.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Upo said:

Owns up to misfiring last summer with signings, some straightforward talk directed towards the vultures and perhaps even at players or atleast their agents to keep their sights on this season. Said that if a big club wants to sign, they sign, no rumours necessary. That means Norwich is open for business, no surprise there. Mentioned Madison's £20M price. That's probably the minimum for certain players, again maybe a subtle hint to outside interest to either be ready to pay up serious money or keep hands off. Talked about not wanting to stand in way of young players looking for more playing time, and quite conciliatory towards Amadou etc. Just didn't work out for either party.

He's a good manager. Ready to put foot down, doesn't waste time on excess subtleties, but sensitive enough to not burn bridges either. Being decisive helps Farke do his job as a coach, as he doesn't have to worry about suddenly losing a player or fight other drama.

Webber is going to wring the maximum amount from any prospective buyer. Of that we can be sure too. I think the question then is where the money is going to be put. I think Webber did say that they were better positioned to spend more in the future. I doubt he'd say that if owners were going to withdraw money from the club.

Good post. Interesting quote: 'We can't afford established British Championship players.' Just one point - the owners have only ever taken money out of the club that they'd put in, and that process has been completed. Thery've never taken out extra money, so I doubt that is a potential factor.

• Like 1

Indeed Purple and it is not beyond the realms of possibility that they did not especially need or request the return of those funds. 

37 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Just one point - the owners have only ever taken money out of the club that they'd put in, and that process has been completed. Thery've never taken out extra money, so I doubt that is a potential factor.

It may have been - despite what the conspiracists might have one believe - that ’Corporate Governance’ wanted to ensure that ‘the package’ was clean in case of possible purchase. 

Parma 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

Good post. Interesting quote: 'We can't afford established British Championship players.' Just one point - the owners have only ever taken money out of the club that they'd put in, and that process has been completed. Thery've never taken out extra money, so I doubt that is a potential factor.

I like Webber a lot. This quote concerns me though.

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

Thanks! That comment struck me as bit odd initially. But it makes sense from the perspective that Webber has realistic expectations for Norwich's future and the club's business model depends on moving players vertically (from lower leagues to Norwich's current level and in a few cases even to PL), not horizontally. Most foreign leagues count as lower tier (either in quality or financially) even compared to Championship, so it makes sense to scout there and recruit.

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think Webber did a great great job with Emi, Pukki etc but did a poor job in the summer which he has admitted. Obviously feels some players trying to get a move but if the boss man says he is off in two years then demanding loyality can seem a tad hypocritical. Saying we can not afford established players is very concerning, as it shows that we will not be completing in that market even when we receive our premiership payments. Let's hope next summer proves Webber was not a one season wonder. 

9 minutes ago, king canary said:

Why? Established Championship players are going for silly money. We discussed all of this in the summer, with the moves of players like McBurnie and Adams...£17 million and £15 million respectively. When have we spent that on a player? Never...

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Why? Established Championship players are going for silly money. We discussed all of this in the summer, with the moves of players like McBurnie and Adams...£17 million and £15 million respectively. When have we spent that on a player? Never...

Because for me, the whole point of going up, not spending, and going back down is to put us in a strong financial position in the Championship. I'm not up for us pleading poverty for another season.

Just now, king canary said:

Because for me, the whole point of going up, not spending, and going back down is to put us in a strong financial position in the Championship. I'm not up for us pleading poverty for another season.

There's  a  big difference between  poverty and prudence.   We have behaved as if in poverty for a season in order to reset the financials and build prudently from our consolidated  base for evermore.  We will  all live happily ever after.  

The End.

• Like 5

It's about the business model. Norwich is in a sweet spot as long as it is "overachieving" compared to its budget. Norwich's durable competitive advantages are its reputation, loyal fan base, its patient approach, and its ability to attract top staff. None of them rely excessively on being better financed. In fact, if Norwich would start competing financially, it would need a whole new business model. It is possible to diversify more, for example by building a bigger stadium and focusing on marketing. I think there is more to be done with online promotion for example. One thing I would NOT do is rely on Premier League income until the rest of the business is strong enough to take a beating in case we relegate with a PL tier roster.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

There's  a  big difference between  poverty and prudence.   We have behaved as if in poverty for a season in order to reset the financials and build prudently from our consolidated  base for evermore.  We will  all live happily ever after.  

The End.

The end ? As in your is final, very strange.

Don’t mind that we won’t be in the ‘established Championship player’ market. Possibly the worst value league £ for £. Don’t get me wrong, there is talent there, not saying there isn’t, but if it’s there so long to be called established then it’s probably not good enough for the Premier League - and with a hugely inflated price tag too. I like how we do our business now, good technical players that are unearthed from nowhere - far more satisfying than just flinging £60mil at anything we want to (each to their own I guess though, but I like us not being a ‘Man City’).

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, king canary said:

It's helped to clear debts, build the academy and facilities and means we are not forced into selling our best. Doesn't mean we will now go spending millions on players.

That just isn't the way this club is going to operate and we should all know that by now.

Edited by BobLoz3
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

It's helped to clear debts, build the academy and facilities and means we are not forced into selling our best. Doesn't mean we will now go spending millions on players.

That just isn't the way this club is going to operate and we should all know that by now.

No we shouldn't 'all know that by now' because it is rubbish.

Debts were cleared pre-promotion (aside from the £5m we borrowed off the fans for the Colney upgrade). So no the cash hasn't helped to clear debts or build the academy/facilities.

We're debt free, will have a turnover of over £100m this season, likely to see our highest ever play sales happen this summer and two years of parachute payments coming in. The idea we can't compete to sign the best players from teams like Blackburn or Reading is ridiculous.

To add to my last post, it’s quite clear from Webber’s interview that the way we operate now is all about taking a calculated gamble on a player before they build up a profile and price tag. A bit like snooker, always thinking a few shots ahead, e.g we’ll get that £15mil player whilst he still costs only £1.5mil with the chance of becoming a £15mil player. Of course, it’s a gamble, but as he says himself, every single transfer is a gamble and we won’t get every transfer right because that’s not how it works. But by operating in the fashion that we do, we should never lose vast sums on your ‘Naismith’s’ etc again, and I’m all for that 👍🏼

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

No we shouldn't 'all know that by now' because it is rubbish.

Debts were cleared pre-promotion (aside from the £5m we borrowed off the fans for the Colney upgrade). So no the cash hasn't helped to clear debts or build the academy/facilities.

We're debt free, will have a turnover of over £100m this season, likely to see our highest ever play sales happen this summer and two years of parachute payments coming in. The idea we can't compete to sign the best players from teams like Blackburn or Reading is ridiculous.

Didn't we make a loss in the year we got promoted?

1 hour ago, Upo said:

Thanks! That comment struck me as bit odd initially. But it makes sense from the perspective that Webber has realistic expectations for Norwich's future and the club's business model depends on moving players vertically (from lower leagues to Norwich's current level and in a few cases even to PL), not horizontally. Most foreign leagues count as lower tier (either in quality or financially) even compared to Championship, so it makes sense to scout there and recruit.

I haven't heard all the interview yet but I think his point is that he hopes to find players as good for much less money  either from the lower English leagues or perhaps Scotland, and abroad, but acknowledges there is a certain risk there. I think he is in effect saying Raggett, for example,  hasn't worked while others spectacularly have.